Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Thetford Aqua Magic Style II toilet will not hold water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thetford Aqua Magic Style II toilet will not hold water

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
gman03842

Newmarket, NH

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up Jayco Eagle 321RLTS 5th wheel on 7/8/201, used it about 10 times last year. Finally able to start using it again this year. Have 7 of the next 8 weekends booked. Just sanitized the fresh water tank, and lines, and found that the toilet (Thetford Aqua Magic Style II) will not hold water. Check out the seal, and could not find anything keeping the ball from sealing. I have read that some people use silicone spray to get the seal to expand. Trailer is still under warranty, but with having to wait 2 1/2 months to get it back from a broken shut off valve. I really do not like the idea of dropping it off with the dealer again. Anybody ever replace one of the seals on this style of toilet. Plastic base, china bowl, and foot pedal.

Thanks,
Greg

Gregory LaCourse
2012 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD CC Duramax 4x4
2011 Jayco Eagle 321RLTS

LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The seal can be replaced and isn't that hard to do but try this first. Just add some vegitable oil(Olive oil as an example) to the the bowl and let is set over night or for a few days. If the seal hasn't been damaged the oil should refurbish the rubber so that it seals. Do not use any kind of petroleum based oil.

Duckaholic1

Central Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our toilet has the same problem, which brings me to this question..... How do you keep oil in toilet,if it won't hold water????

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try adding 1 cup of olive oil to toilet. That often fixes them. Do not flush for as long as possible, like a few days.

Next time, STORE with a cup of olive oil on top of seal to keep it nice.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

ihavenoid

San Antonio Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The oil is thicker then water.It may leak out slower and in the process rejuvenate the seal.(MAYBE)

Duckaholic1

Central Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ohh!!!! Well even though I did not write the original post, I may have just learned something else on the forum!!! I'm going to try it first thing in A.M. "I just Dig this place!"

PUCampin

Castaic

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had this problem with my style ii, the seal seemed ok but would not hold water. I also did not really have time to attempt reconditioning, besides, mine would only hold water for 10 seconds. It is not a big deal to change. First remive the water line ( make sure it is off) There are 2 bolts inside the back that hold the bowl on the pedestal. Once they are removed, you rotate the bowl until the 4 tabs disengage, lift off the bowl. Depending on how close the toilet is to the wall you may have to remove the toilet from the floor to take it apart. Anyway, once the bowl is off, the seal is exposed, remove and replace the seal, remount the bowl and put it all back together. It took me 45 minutes start to finish taking my time with a couple interuptions. If you have the time, order the seal from a online retailer. I did not have the time and paid a premium $18 at CW for it. Once I had the old seal out, I saw that our hard water had eaten away and pitted the sealing surface.

2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!)

Me DW and the 3 in 3
DD 2006, DS 2007, DD 2008

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your valve won't hold water, get a toothpaste squeeze of valve grease, and just run it around the flapper slide while you try and work it into the slot and get it lubed up. It's a lot easier than pulling the whole rig off and will likely work in most cases.

Go to an industrial supply house to get the grease, it's used in industry all the time.

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide Sold
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/12 02:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the bowl seal has dried out.

Turn water off.......open ball and clean seal thoroughly using a toothbrush and vinegar. Really give it a good cleaning especially the bottom of seal. Give the ball a good cleaning also. Rinse then using your hand rub the seal with olive oil, really working it in.

Close ball and pour some olive oil into bowl covering seal. Let it sit overnight. If oil has leaked out then you will need to replace seal.

Easy job as described.....just 2 bolts in back of top section secure bowl to lower stand section.

Image from Thetford

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The instructions for mine said to first empty the toilet then press the seal down all the way around the opening to re-seat it. Then add a kettle of very hot water and let it sit until it cools. This helps to re-seat the seal. Worked great for mine. On many of the newer ones you do not have to remove it to replace the seal. They slip on around the opening by hand.

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thetford Aqua Magic Style II toilet will not hold water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: