Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Frequent Camper, First Disney Trip - Advise Suggested!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Frequent Camper, First Disney Trip - Advise Suggested!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
zipster

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/12 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have decided to take a week and head down to Disney for Thanksgiving. We are frequent campers and have taken many long trips but we have yet to make it to Disney. Can you "DIZ-KNEE" experts chime in with some help. Is it best to buy a package from Disney that includes the site and the park passes or purchase separately? My thought is that you may find the tickets cheaper at AAA or similar? Thoughts? And if the package is the way to go for the tickets and camping, what about a meal plan? Usuallu when we camp, we eat almost all of our meals in the camper, but in this case the camper is just the place to sleep. Again your thoughts or input is appreciated.

BillyGo

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay in Fort Wilderness, eat off site (Cheaper). As far as the tickets, the park hoppers or multiday passes are more cost effective. Becareful buying tickets from non- Disney sellers. I would buy the tickets when you arrive, decide where you want to go and how many days you plan to spend in the parks.

Hope that helps.

2011 Forest River Berkshire 360FWS
2012 Smart car for two

justaboutretired

Florence, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year we got our tickets at AAA which was cheaper than getting them at Disney.
We always had a light lunch in one of the parks and then had dinner back at the camper. We went out one night the whole time we were there (3weeks) for dinner. Plan your time well to see what you want to see. You will need some down time so make sure you plan that in also. Have fun and Fort Wilderness is a great place.

Bill & Diane
3 Boys, 1 dog
2002 Excursion Limited\w 7.3 PSD
2003 Citation 33M TT

tmmar

Nassau County, Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to undercover tourist for your tickets. You will save the tax and get free shipping. We buy 10 day non-expiring park hopper passes. We usually go for 4-5 days each year so the tickets are good for 2 to 2 1/2 years. If you stay at Fort Wilderness, you get access to all the transportation so after you set up, you don't need any other transportation. Go to the Hoop De Doo review at Fort Wilderness. Sort of expensive but a great dinner and show. We haven't done the meal plan so can't comment. Doesn't say if you are going with children, but if you are, they will love it (us adults love it also). The tickets seem expensive but I think you get alot for your money. You can go to fortfiends.net for a lot of other info.

Have fun!

2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/12 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For previous posts on this subject try searching this Forum for words/phrases like Disney World or Disney or Epcot, etc.
My suggestion is to get a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disney World

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

happytrader59

league city Tx

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to see if there are any sites even available during that time, its a popular date.

2008 Monaco Camelot 43', 2007 Jeep Wrangler

zipster

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the great information. Hopefully I will find a spot at the CG.

cruising spud

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I you haven't done so already, I would call the Disney campground and see if there are any available sites. If you are a AAA member, let them know, and you should be able to get a discount on a site.

We do not book any kind of a package. This works best for us.

Also, if you plan to do any character meals, etc, I would book them now.

Godsey97

Dayton,Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to be booking NOW. We have found the meal plan is best if you are staying in an on property hotel. We spent 9 days there this summer. Breakfast in the MH, light lunch/snack in the park and dinner back at the MH. Ifyou have kids, you might find that coming back to the MH, using Disney transportation, might be a great plan. Kind of a short breather and little bit of quiet time before you go back into the horde of people. Some make sure you do's: Mickey's Backyard Bar-B-Q. If they say they are booked already, don't fret. See the desk help after you check in, they should be able to accomodate you. We were told that they were booked solid for the bar-b-q. DW went to the front desk and they were able to accommodate us. They told us the central booking only has so many slots to fill, the rest are for the cast members on site to use, I would imagine the Hoop-De-Doo is the same. Another MUST SEE is the Electric Light Parade that you can see from the dock. Nightly movies with campfires. Buy your Smore fixin's before you get there to save big bucks. Basically, they will hand you a schedule when you check in, look at it carefully and take full advantage. The fort is almost like a park itself and has lots to do.

If by chance you are military, they are offering great deals on multi-day tickets.

Mr.Beebo

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 04:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fort Wilderness is a wonderful experience if you have kids.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Frequent Camper, First Disney Trip - Advise Suggested!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS