Woodalls Open Roads Forum: What are your fun family activites while camping?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> What are your fun family activites while camping?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
GreenBananas

Somewhere Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 02:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought I would ask this question two fold… What are your family camping traditions? And what activities do you find yourself doing the most with younger children?

Don't buy green bananas! Do the things you wish you could do, now, don’t wait on them. There just might not be a tomorrow.

lgarcia

West Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gotta have smores. The babies love the tub of Mega Blox that I keep in the TT - lightweight and colorful. They also gravitate towards any unused Lynx leveling blocks.

Laura, Rodney, and Elfie the Schnoodle
2012 Dutchmen 814RB; 2011 Dodge 1500 Hemi; 2012 Sun Dolphin Sportsman; 2003 Tracker Targa V-18

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exploring nature... looking for animals, signs of animals, identifying plants & trees, geology(rock formations, sediment layers, rock collecting) and more. A good source for information is to pick up a Boy Scout Handbook (the older the better). The handbook has lots of suggestions for fun things to do while camping.

Here's a website with a complete Boy Scout Handbook you can read from 1911 It's fun to look through it and there is a lot of great information in it.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29558/29558-h/29558-h.htm

A night we would play card games or scrabble, yatzee, uno, bingo..etc.

Tell spooky stories around the campfire.

Star gazing

Throwing rocks at cans or skipping stones on a lake or river.

Bubbles are always fun for the kids

GreenBananas

Somewhere Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bear II wrote:

Throwing rocks at cans

This is exaclty why I asked the question... Very simple idea yet, that is something we have never done! We will give it a try to see how it goes over!

Minnesota*is*Home

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My kids are young (7 and 2). They love looking for frogs, playing at the playgrounds (a necessity for us) and generally puddling around outside. Every evening we camp, we go for a walk around the cg just after supper. The kids get a big kick out of seeing the other rigs and waving.

Nerak

Amissville Virginia, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/12 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our grandkids out recently. Kids bingo was a hit. Also have a board game called "camp"' it was lots of fun to play with them. Also I went to Walmart and bought a kids plastic bow and arrow set. At the campsite, I stacked plastic cups on the campsite grill and they took turns trying to hit the target! It was great. Also popular with them is a scavenger hunt where they look for objects in woods like leaves shaped like a heart, acorns, pinecones, etc. Gives them different things to do.

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/12 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My kids used to love to play charades around the campfire. And throw rocks at trees, the further away the better. DD made a nice little scrapbook of leaves from different trees once. Another time I showed the kids how to make chains from clover--that entertained them half the afternoon. And how to whistle with a blade of grass. A couple times I even took a baby pool for our youngest DS. The older kids were able to access the lake, but DS couldn't walk well enough to get there(he is very mentally handicapped.) So we asked permission and then set up the pool with about 6 inches of water on our site. We sat him in there and gave him several cups and bowls, and he was happy as a clam.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

dcb17b

foothills of the adirondacks

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/12 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 4yo granddaugter love to look at nature(trees,leaves,bugs,rocks) so we take nature hikes and collect things. She also loves dirt,but then again what kid does't? She will sit for hours with a spoon and a cup or bowl and fill them with dirt and dump them out. Playgrounds or a beach is always a good time. We try to have a small assortment of her "favorite" toys from home so she has something familar to play with. Camping traditions are blueberry pancakes on Saturday morning,pizza pie irons and/or s'mores around the campfire and family walks around the campground. The thing is that we don't really "plan" our activities they just happen,or not,that is OK too.

2003 Ford F150 STX Supercab
2004 Dutchmen 24QBSL

GreenBananas

Somewhere Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/12 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcb17b wrote:

Camping traditions are blueberry pancakes on Saturday morning,pizza pie irons and/or s'mores around the campfire and family walks around the campground.
Love this!!! We met this sweet little older couple in Mueller State Park this summer, who said they have always made s'mores with granny smith apples instead of crackers. Going to try it this labor day weekend. And if by chance they are reading this, we got our water pump fixed... Thanks for being so sweet!

GreenBananas

Somewhere Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/12 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:

My kids used to love to play charades around the campfire. Another time I showed the kids how to make chains from clover
We like charades too. I am going to see if we can figure out how to make chains from clover!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> What are your fun family activites while camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS