Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: REMCO AXLE-LOCK
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> REMCO AXLE-LOCK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Edouard

Hudson QC. or Lake Worth, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a search here and did not find any treads regarding the Axle-Lock, and wondering if any Rv'r out there is using this device, which appears to be a pretty straight forward alternative to the Pump.

Were looking at the 2013 Ford Escape and the 2013 Kia Soul as our new toad.

I understand that there are no Lube Pumps available at this time for the Soul which has been on the market since 09, and there may also be no Lube Pump for the new 2013 Escape's tranny model #UOH-300A.

However I came upon the REMCO AXLE-LOCK for front wheel drive vehicles, at http://www.ocalahitch.com/pdf/Remco_Axle_Lock.pdf., I seem to remember that Remco sold the rights to their Axle-Lock devise.

Now, I phoned and spoke with someone at Remco yesterday and he told me they had no pump for the Kia and he did not appear to be aware that the new Escape had a different tranny, he thought that the LP-1 Pump would work on the new Escape, when I asked for the Remco Part number, he suggested to check with the Ford dealer for purchase & installation.
Thanks. ET

Eugene & Stella
08 Dolphin DL35C, WH-24, Allison 6 Spd.Tranny.(FOR SALE)
2013 Kia Soul 4U.Automatic, Rental Tow Dolly for now.
FMCA 318247

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/12 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I recall, Remco discontinued the axle lock product line several years ago. They also sold their drive shaft coupling line to SuperFlow a few years ago. You might check with them about the axle lock availability. The Escape pump system was developed jointly with Ford, and Ford engineering would probably have the definitive word on whether it works with the newer transmission.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Edouard

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DUTCH; Thank you for the info on SuperFlow, will contact them regarding Axle-Lock and will be talking with my Ford dealer today on the Pump for the Escape 13 tranny. Thanks again.

Edouard

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/12 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott, I also read all the treads on the Escape, Ford stopped allowing the 2012 escape from being towed 4 down as of Feb.27th. 2012 production, my day may be off but it was near end of feb/2012.
The 2013 tranny model is changed from the 2012, if and when I find a definitive yes or no, I will come back and post my result. Thanks again.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edouard,
While I haven't been following ALL the posts, threads on toads and Ford Escapes in particular, there was one back just short time ago about the Ford escapes and how Ford has rescinded some of their authorization on towing the Escape. At least certain model years or, production dates at some point. I could be way wrong here but, I'm under the impression from reading quite a bit about it,that Ford does NOT allow for the '13 model to be towed and, while one or more members here may have had a certain Ford dealer install an aftermarket item on their car/escape, I'd just about bet the farm that the Ford dealer you'll be talking to WILL NOT install and or, condone installing any pump or axle disconnect, or drive shaft disconnect on their vehicles.

The reason would be that if ANYTHING should happen, anything at all concerning that drive line, transmission, etc. than who's going to take the blame and or so called warranty? If, Ford authorized the vehicle to be towed, such as a certain production date and earlier, than that's different. But, I'd be interested in what your dealer is going to tell you. If, they authorize the installation of any aftermarket device, allowing you to tow a 2013 Escape, That would really controversial to what many have reported here. All you can do is see what they say. Good luck.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/12 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am amazed you can't find threads on the axle lock, I have read many here on these forums and on others as well.

I will summarize for you:

I know of very few if any complaints, I used one myself (Axle lock) when I had a towed and was very pleased.

There device cosists of a half axle with a big collar near the wheel end. IT comes with an oil filter wrench. If needed you use the wrench to turn the collar.. 1/3 turn one way and the wheel turns free.

I'd pull up behind my motor home, Put it in Park. hook up the blue ox tow bars, (partially extended) twist the collar and PUSH the car back by hand to lock one bar.

Then inside, move gearshift out of park verify some speed on speedometer, turn off engine and when it stopped move to park. (leaving key in OFF position) Lock the doors and off we go (yes I locked the key in the car, spare key in left slash pocket, long habit there, spare key on Motor home ring too).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Edouard

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wa8yxm: Thank you very much for your input, actually I did a search on RV Net forums for "Remco Axle Lock" and also "Axle Lock" and came up with zilch...

Great to hear or your personal experience, that is why I believe it would be a great alternative to a Tow Dolly.

Are you aware if the Axle Lock is still available, as another person here says it has been discontunued due to the compactness of the newer cars since 2000?

Edouard

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/12 04:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all your input, we picked up our 2013 Kia Soul 4U automatic yesterday, we will be towing it with a Tow Dolly, new experience for us after towing 4 down since 97, but the choices for 4 down towing is diminishing every year and we decided to buy something that is fun to drive like our 05 Honda Element.
The Equinox 2010 was beginning to be a nightmare with the mysterious oil loss problem issue, so we just got rid of it.

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2013 FORD Escape in NOT towable, with ANY wheels on the ground, per FORD.

Wildman

kelmac

west nyack ny

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
I had called Remco and they said they sold to Super Flow.Also they stopped making the Axle lock because there is not enough room for the system to be placed in the later model vehicles

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> REMCO AXLE-LOCK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS