Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Roughing It!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Roughing It!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/12 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't spent a night in a tent since my CO quit making me, so I really don't belong here, and I hope you'll take this in the humorous way it struck me this last week. Here was a guy sitting outside a minimal tent, talking on his cell phone with his laptop literally in his lap. It just looked funny!

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
Equalizer WDH
'02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD, PacBrake,
6.0 cooler, Ford AIS, Isspro trans. gauge
Flashpaq tuner, AirLift airbags
2013 Ford Expedition King Ranch

Tiger4x4RV

San Diego County, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/12 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Backpacker magazine frequently has articles about outdoor technology: cameras, GPS, solar chargers, etc.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 05:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I have taken two six week trips with just a tent in the last three years. Ours were in tents large enough for an air mattress and two chairs so we were never roughing it.

garmp1

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cekkk, what a great mental picture. Hard to beat technology!

Camping in a Sportsmobile. How much better can it get?

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/12 03:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have spent two of the last three falls doing that with our tent, cell phone and lap top. No television tho.
We also had an electric heater for the few cool nights we had with electrictiy.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/12 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thinks have changed since your CO made you sleep in a tent cekkk. We spent over a decade camping in a tent and aside from no inside shower or AC we just didn't have it too rough.
Then again our tent was no pup tent either. It is 10x20x 8 1/2, 3 rooms, a king size bed, kitchen, bathroom, storage,tables, 2 lounges, lights, fans, heat, TV and stereo. Honestly if I had to choose it or the trailer to be cooped up in all day, it would be the tent because it's roomier and the lounges more comfy.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
490w solar with dual Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JiminDenver, sounds pretty comfortable, although waking up this morning with rain continuing from overnight and temp about 36, I'll stay with the TT!

But don't think for a minute I'm putting down tenters. My #2 DD and her DH spend most of their vacation time in them. They just got back from a long weekend in Yosemite, (now watching for signs of hantavirus) and they spent a week in August paddling down the Rogue in Oregon. Last year they did the full run down the Colorado in the Grand Canyon over two weeks.

I thought I had brought her up better than that. I should have known I'd failed when she met her DH several years ago while ocean kayaking off San Diego. My sorrow was increased last week when she said her hubby is considering an RV, but she'd like to hold off a few more years!

Vapor_Trails

Yucaipa, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/12 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cekkk wrote:

I haven't spent a night in a tent since my CO quit making me, so I really don't belong here, and I hope you'll take this in the humorous way it struck me this last week. Here was a guy sitting outside a minimal tent, talking on his cell phone with his laptop literally in his lap. It just looked funny!
And on the flip side of that are the RV'ers who don't think twice about their refrigerators, hot water heaters, microwaves, flushing toilets, etc. but go ballistic when someone mentions watching tv at the campground. Or even worse, let their kids bring a video game. Perhaps their ancestors chided others for bringing a ball to toss around instead of the pine cones they used to have a catch. Heh-heh.

06 F150 Screw, 6.5' Bed, 4x4, 5.4, 3.73
04 Tahoe 23RB-GL
01 VFR800fi
A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine.

garmp1

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to add fuel to the fire, check out this! http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/06/17/charge-iphone-campfire/

and here's another: http://biolitestove.com/

How remote can we get to stay in touch. ust too funny.

mikellmikell

Benton harbor

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a guy working at the local nuke plant last year in a tent till Christmas. he finally bought an electric blanket

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Roughing It!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS