Woodalls Open Roads Forum: What do you do to get 17 yr olds wanting to camp again?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> What do you do to get 17 yr olds wanting to camp again?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
RealtyRoy

NW Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey there,
My kids used to absolutely love to go camping with us, now they are older, twin girls 17 yrs old, and they always say now that they are so busy with homework and such that they are just not interested.

I know there must be some way to get them excited again for even just a short weekend or even just an overnighter in a near by park. We are fortunate that we have campgrounds, three of them, less than 20 miles from the house. If I wanted to I could, what I like to say, add food,gas and toilet paper, and we are ready to go.

Just can't convince the girls that a little break for the weekend would be fun, even though not very long or far from home.

What do you think, any idea's?? Our last campout I let them bring a few of their friends from school, they of coarse loved that! But now that schools starting again having friends come along is going to be tough.

What do you think?

Thanks very much

Roy

May the roads and skies always be clear, and the firewood nice and dry!!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I'd still invite friends from school.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They'll come back to camping some day when they have their own kids. You'll be able to enjoy things all over again.

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always did our best to develop a good relationship with our kids friends so they felt comfortable going along. Kids ALL seem to go through the stage where friends at LEAST share an equal fascination with family so combining the two is often a way to maintain the closeness.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't worry about it. I would guess that they will take it up again a little later on. Definitely don't want to force it.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I'd still invite friends from school.
X2 at that age you are not cool anymore but in another 5 years you will be again as they mature a little. Believe me my 17 yo is at home and my 21 yo is here at the beach with us this week. Will

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When they come back. It will be with your Grand Kids.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/12 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvten wrote:

When they come back. It will be with your Grand Kids.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They still like Camping? Perhaps they could go to the same campground as you do but have their own site and tent.

While we were hosting last year a family came in that did this. Mom had a site across the campground from us. The girls had a site right next to us. Mom spoke to us privately and asked us to "keep an eye out" for them. We did and these kids were very well behaved and had no idea that anybody was watching over them. They spent the weekend "on thier own" and did well.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think there is much you *can* do, other than inviting their friends and perhaps taking your camping trips in a different direction. They're 17yrs old. Naturally they want to spend time with their friends doing whatever it is that appeals to them. We went through the same thing with our kids, too.

With DD19 especially, we found that we had to change things up to keep her interested. We made room for friends, let them have their own site, took them shopping or horseback riding or tubing. We brought the bikes and we camped at places where we knew a lot of young people go. Gone are the days when I could hand them each a shovel and a bucket and they would entertain themselves all day. At 17, kids want to be with other teens more than they want to be with their parents. That is as it should be.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. If they loved camping before, they will eventually come back to it. We took ours on a cross country trip about 5 years ago(ages 12 & 14 at the time.) Although we didn't get a lot of grumbling, there was a little, mostly about not getting to see the friends all summer. DD was especially happy to get home--we didnt' think she'd ever go camping with us again! Not so. About 2 months after we returned, I overheard DD "planning" her own trip--which mirrored the exact trip we had just completed!

My kids are older now. DS26 has almost no interest in camping, although he will go if one of his friends sets it up. DD19 still loves to camp, but she's a purist--if she can't take her tent, she doesn't want to go. She has all her own equipment and she doesn't care if it's cold or raining. That's my girl! I figure sooner or later, there will be grandchildren to take camping. I really look forward to that day.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> What do you do to get 17 yr olds wanting to camp again?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS