Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: "best"/most reliable brand of folding trailers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> "best"/most reliable brand of folding trailers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, I agree. I am kind of jealous of some of the older units that A) seem to have really good floor plans, B) a LOT more storage than current models and C) seem to have better construction.

You might not have heard, but Yarnells went under last year, bankrupt. The factory sat dormant for a few months until the auction. Thankfully, another company based in Chicago (but has their only facility is located in Searcy) bought it and the recipes and have started producing again. Sad that the family couldn't keep it together - the word is the son just really didn't have a head for business, so it's lost a little of the local charm, but glad they're back at it. To me, it tastes as good, as they were able to hire back a number of the previous workers.

And where do you go camping around KCMO? About a year ago I worked downtown KCMO.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always thought Trailmanor trailers were well made.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/12 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is a 2008 Starcraft OFF-ROAD 14RT POPUP using a 12-foot box... No real problems to date. I dont know how long the tent fabric is suppose to last but mine is just now starting to show some results from sun load I think.

I also wasnt impressed with the size of shocks that was provided. Mine are little bitty size shocks mounted at a 45 degree angle. You would think they would be bigger to go along with the truck size tires on it.

I only looked at the Fleetwood and Starcrafts when I was in the market back in 2008. The Starcraft had the best heavy frames of the two trailers... My trailer weighs in around 4200lbs loaded down with supplies...

I really like the built-on front deck to haul my camping supplies with camping off the power grid...

Of course the first thing I did with mine was to rip out all of the factory installed under trailer wiring and re-wired everything under the trailer using 3/4-inch PVC flex conduit.

I drug under trailer wiring off my trailer the first trip out off the power grid. The trailer lights wiring was a great job but the appliance wiring by the factory was very bad and no rhyme or reason of where the wiring was going to go. Wiring went every which way under the trailer to get from point A to point B coming down thru holes in the bottom of cabinets and going back up under a cabinet on the other end of the trailer.

A regular RATS-NEST of wiring

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/12 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a brand new Rockwood PUP back in 95. I only had one issue with it. That being a recall on the fridge. Other than that, it was a solid camper up until the day I sold it last year when I upgraded to a TT. My new TT (starcraft) has had more issues in the first 4 months of using it then the PUP did in 17 years!

I paid 5,200 for it new and sold it 17 years later for 2,000. Which IMHO isnt bad at all!

TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

sushidog

Abita Springs, LA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/12 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First I would have to say that Hi-Lo was probably the most durable pop-up. Next I'd say Chalet's are also very well made for a hard-sided folder, followed by Aliner - my camper of choice. yes, all of these models are expensive, but like everything else in life, you generally get what you pay for.

I'll let others with more experience comment on relative durability/reliability of traditional cloth-sided PUPs. Like cars, all manufacturers have some QC issues when new, this is why they offer warranties. Whether they stand behind them is another matter.

Chip

2006 Aliner LXE
2006 Chevy Cobalt SS

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Australia probably Goldstream, Coromal and Jayco as far as conventional Tent Trailers go. Unconventional and CrossOvers very different story.
Goldstream Trailers

Coromal RV

Jayco

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always found the FR models to be simple but well built. Friends had a 2009 Jayco and it seemed like it had too many issues for a simple box frame with canvas and a roof! The table surfaces and counters swelled along the edges from humidity and normal use, tenting had pin holes from new, and there were some questionable finish quality.

If I were buying, I'd shop a FR.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/12 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed in your profile you are going to pull your popup with your 81 CJ8..

I have had jeeps around me all my life from the M38, M38A1, CJ5, Cj8 and now have a 99TJ...

I never had any luck whatsoever towing much of anything with these jeeps. Even towing a 5x8 utility trailer was a hassle. I would have to replace the gearing in the rear ends regularly...

I have moved (spotted) my 4200lb OFF-ROAD trailer here in my camp back yard with my 99TJ but there is NO-WAY I would attempt towing my POPUP with this jeep. When i stand on the on the trailer hitch I really drop the rear down big time... Maybe the newer ones are beefed up better as you do see a few running down the interstate towing things...

Since you are in the re-build mode on your CJ8 I would definitely look into beefing up something to help you tow better. I don't think the earlier JEEPS were ever designed to tow anything. Get four full sized guy in the jeep and try running off-road in it... Kinda of scary at times...

I too have fond memories of Searcy Ark... Was stationed at LRAFB in the early 60s and we ran the missle silos all around that area keeping the Radio Comms up and going. Spent many of hours drinking coffee at the couple of truck stops at Searcy and Beebe coming and going to the missle silos. This was first stop for all LRAFB trucks heading out. We would line them up outside when parked. Who knows what all the traveling folks thought about seeing 10-15 AF trucks there everyday hehe...

Serenlyretired

San Fransisco Bay area

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe Jayco has the strongest warranty.

jeeplj8

KCMO

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/12 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

I noticed in your profile you are going to pull your popup with your 81 CJ8..

I have had jeeps around me all my life from the M38, M38A1, CJ5, Cj8 and now have a 99TJ...

I never had any luck whatsoever towing much of anything with these jeeps. Even towing a 5x8 utility trailer was a hassle. I would have to replace the gearing in the rear ends regularly...

I have moved (spotted) my 4200lb OFF-ROAD trailer here in my camp back yard with my 99TJ but there is NO-WAY I would attempt towing my POPUP with this jeep. When i stand on the on the trailer hitch I really drop the rear down big time... Maybe the newer ones are beefed up better as you do see a few running down the interstate towing things...

Since you are in the re-build mode on your CJ8 I would definitely look into beefing up something to help you tow better. I don't think the earlier JEEPS were ever designed to tow anything. Get four full sized guy in the jeep and try running off-road in it... Kinda of scary at times...

I too have fond memories of Searcy Ark... Was stationed at LRAFB in the early 60s and we ran the missle silos all around that area keeping the Radio Comms up and going. Spent many of hours drinking coffee at the couple of truck stops at Searcy and Beebe coming and going to the missle silos. This was first stop for all LRAFB trucks heading out. We would line them up outside when parked. Who knows what all the traveling folks thought about seeing 10-15 AF trucks there everyday hehe...

well - you got me talking about the jeep. the only thing from 1981 is the grill. The tub is from an 85. the frame is a modified fram from a 2005 LJ (the original Wrangler Unlimited.) The suspension is Rubicon Express 3.5 lift springs. The drivetrain is a 5.7 HEMI from a 2003 Ram. Upgraded axles as well. Wired in trailer brakes already. Should do OK with a 3500 lb PUP.

Which is of course why the wife and I are looking at 8K travel trailers now...

2013 Coachmen 320 BHDS pulled behind Excursion 6.0 with 213 on the clock.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> "best"/most reliable brand of folding trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS