Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Smoke coming from rear tires - Newbie Help Requested
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Smoke coming from rear tires - Newbie Help Requested

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/12 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were the dually tires touching?

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

chewbear

Mobile in the USofA;currently Ozark, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/12 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always thought that tires run flat would catch fire. Other I've seen is something jamed up top rubbing tire to smoking.

2002 Fleetwood Discovery
330 cat. '09 Escape toad.
Kathy & Joe wish you well.
My mind works like lightning,
one brilliant flash and it's
gone. (Maxine)

Raist11

Dreaming of Retirement

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to further clarify, the smoke was clearly coming from the rubber. It was not coming from around the rims. The smell was definitely a burnt rubber smell. There is nothing close to the tires, nothing jammed inbetween the inner and outer tires. Part of me wonders if there's something about duals.. I don't know, perhaps the outer wheel isn't completely lined up on the inner? I honestly don't know how duals sit together so not sure if something could be out of whack there. Maybe I'll have to pull of the skirt on the back end, get Dad to follow me in town and see if there is any wobble. (Don't worry, at low speeds)

I just don't get how a tire smokes like that.. I know how the tires on my Mercury Montego smoked when I was a kid.. my buddy poured Ajax on them.. that REALLY smoked.

Raist11

Dreaming of Retirement

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

Were the dually tires touching?

Nope, not touching. As I mentioned about one inch, maybe two at bottom where they bulge.

Patrol 65

Charleston, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am willing to bet that 60 psi is too low for a 36 foot motorhome. Tires get warm from rolling resistance between the rubber and the road under normal conditions. A low tire will definitely get hot and if it is too low will eventually ignite if it is driven long enough. I have seen many tractor trailer tires smoke while travelling down the highway before they either catch on fire or blow or both.

Nathan and Linda
KF4GYL
2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U Ford Triton V10 F53 Banks Power Pack

fcooper

Richmond Hill, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with rgatijnet1. I think you have brake problems that are oveheating the rims causing the tires to smoke.

I had sticking front calipers on a 96 Ford F53 chassis, and the driver's side front got hot enough to cause the grease to catch fire.

Let us know what you find when the problem is solved.

Fred

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
2000 Honda Odyssey toad w SMI Silent Partner braking system
TST507 TPMS

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One time I put on a spare tire when my inner dually failed, and use my stock Michelin spare tire with a Goodyear tire, different diameters by about 1/2" taller. So the inner one was going about 650 turns per mile while the Michelin was taller and turning around 640 turns per mile. Of course bolted together, they had to compromise and run the exact same speed, causing some scrubbing of the rubber. Once I noticed this, I imminently changed and brought one of the front Goodyears to work in the back along with the other dually, and put the taller Michelin in the front, where size does not matter.

Another time I had smoking hot tires, I actually had a leak in the outer bearing seal. This let some rear axle fluid get onto the brake pads, causing the smoke, but that does not seem to be the case in this event, where your tires actually smoked. It also can cause a blowout, because the oil leaked past the tire, and caused a cut into the now weakened sidewall of the tire, and 250 miles later it blew out while at 65 MPH. Later a friend said that the rear axle oil additive can cause the rubber to break down.

So stretch a string or cloth tape measure around each tire, and see if one is larger diameter than the other. If they are different diameters, find out why and how to correct it. Both tires MUST be the same diameter to not have a blowout, and if one is say 255/80 19.5R, while the other is 245/80 19.5, then the wider tire will be slightly taller as well.

255 and 245 is the tire tread width, while 80 is the percentage of width to height from the top of the rim to the top of the tire.

Also your tires MUST be run at 80 PSI to get it's full 3042 pound per tire weight rating, and your RV is very close to it's maximum tire weight rating on each and every tire. Raising the pressure to 80 PSI will also go a long ways to solve the problem. And measure the pressure while cold.

Also on the duallies, once you add 80 PSI to one tire, if the other is at say 55, then check the 80 PSI one again once it's mate is at 80, to make sure it has not changed. I actually run 90 PSI in my tires, the tire inflation guide says you can run 10 PSI over the "Minimum tire pressure for the maximum weight rating"

What that means is you require at least 80 PSI to get a 3,042 pound weight rating on that tire. If less than 80 PSI, then you can only load it to a certain percentage of the 3042 weight rating. So at 60 PSI, your maximum weight will only be about 2,650 pounds per tire, or around 2,465 per dually rear tire. Your rear axle weight is probably like mine, close to 10,000 pounds, and that was not enough pressure. When loaded for a 2 week trip, my RV is close to 11,000 pounds rear axle and 6,000 pounds front axle, with 2 passengers and 2 100# dogs inside. Yet if you did not fill the 60 gallon fresh water tank, then you are leaving behind 400# of weight, and this will lessen the loads on the tires. 11,000 pounds / 4 tires = 2,750 pounds per tire, about what the maximum weight is on a 235/85R16E tire at 80 PSI, and way over the weight rating at 60 PSI.

Also make sure that all your tires have steel sidewalls. The much softer polyester sidewall is not strong enough for RV use. I found that out the hard way by buying 4 Goodyears with polyester sidewall for the back axle, and having steel sidewall tires on the front. The stock Michelin where steel sidewall, at the time I did not know there was a difference. Once I was towing my light weight Honda down a hill, and the rear axle of the motorhome was being pushed into the curves by the car weight, I knew something was wrong, so I got wheel alignments on both car and RV, both were within specs. Then replaced the new tires with only 400 miles on them, everything returned to normal.

Fred.

* This post was edited 09/23/12 06:49pm by Golden_HVAC *

Jerry_Keller

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My MH has the tire sizes and psi requirements on a label under the driver's side window. And, it came with that info from the manufacturer. So you have some paperwork you can look through?

Jerry Keller
2006 Bounder 35E, W22

Raist11

Dreaming of Retirement

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone for the responses. I don't have any of the original manuals for it. I did find one online the other day and will tour through it this evening.

Crawling around underneath, everything seems clean.. well, clean from fluids, grease and such. I was told he put all new tires on, I'm assuming all the same but I'll definitely double check tomorrow after work (starting to get dark here).

As for it being brakes. I really think it was just off that outer tire. But I think after this I'll definitely have to get it into a garage before next season to look everything over.

The whole tire pressure thing, I'm not sure. He's been running these pressures for a very long time. I suppose it just now got to be too much for that one tire.. perhaps that's it.

This is definitely an odd one for me. It'll definitely be garage time.

Jay58

Melbourne (central east coast) Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would take it in to a commercial truck tire business and have the axle seals, brakes and tires checked. I would load for a trip and get the rig weighed to verify the air pressure to be used. Weigh all tire positions so that you know the weight front to rear and side to side. Consult the tire manufacturers chart to find out if the tires installed are correct for your weights. Verify the correct air pressure for tour weights. Use highest air pressure on each axle for that axle

1996 HR Endeavor 37.5
230 Cumins, 6 spd. Allison
2009 Saturn Vue
Towmaster dolly
Central Florida (East Coast)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Smoke coming from rear tires - Newbie Help Requested
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes