Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Making your airbed last
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Making your airbed last

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
WishWeWereCamping

SC County

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been so through many air beds, they are great, but they just haven't lasted very long (especially when the kids borrow them).

A while back I decided to sew a cover for both of our airbeds out of used flannel sheets that I bought from the Salvation Army.

Good news, they've both lasted through all of our camping trips after using the cover.

Just tonight I found that a twin air bed can be easily wrapped up in a fitted king size sheet. And I suspect that that a queen airbed could be double wrapped (without any sewing) in two fitted queen size sheets.

We don't ever use them without the covers, and we pack them with the covers on.

Try it, it's worked for us.

dan-nickie

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/12 02:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the tip.
We'll have to try that.

Dan and Nickie

ranettesmith

spokane, washingoton

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/12 04:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the post. It would be helpful to try.

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since airbeds are only practical for summer camping, they will realistically last "forever". If you're ready to move up to "veteran camper" status, you're ready to invest in self-inflating sleeping pads so you can enjoy the other 3 seasons comfortably (and safely)...

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/12 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not have children.

WishWeWereCamping

SC County

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opie431 wrote:

Do not have children.

Too late for that idea....

WishWeWereCamping

SC County

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tplife wrote:

Since airbeds are only practical for summer camping, they will realistically last "forever". If you're ready to move up to "veteran camper" status, you're ready to invest in self-inflating sleeping pads so you can enjoy the other 3 seasons comfortably (and safely)...

I looked into those self-inflating pads, but for the price and the experience we've had with the air beds I didn't think it was worth the risk.

Have you had good luck with any of them? Aren't they much smaller than the air beds? I really like my airbed, it's really comfortable and big enough to stretch out on.

frank6160

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my Coleman air matresses. I put old blanket under mine. Have held up well but not so good when temp gets much below 40 degrees.I have used a extra sleeping bag under me and been comfortable down to about 25-30. But by the time it starts getting that cool every night I'm done till spring. I'm not willing to spend the kind of money a sleeping pad costs. Makes no sense to me. JMO.

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/12 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frank6160, campfire greetings! Most hypothermia occurs between 30 and 50-degrees F, so you're right in the sweet spot - Hope you don't have kids, haha! The extra sleeping bag feels comfy but sadly doesn't have the Mojo to bend the laws of science. Consider this: A quality sleeping pad includes a Lifetime Guarantee, and I have pads in heavy 4-season use that are over 25 years old. That's cheaper over time than the best of air mattresses, and pads are available in a variety of brands and thicknesses. You are correct, you were comfortable down to 25-or 30, but sacrificed quality sleep (and in challenging conditions risked your safety) for $80 new and around $60 on Ebay used. Imagine how refreshed you would have been had your physiology not been working overtime to maintain your core temperature while you slept on a heat sink!

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/12 12:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we covered our mattresses with a fabric chair, it eliminated 90% of the small punctures. It does not however prevent sparks from deflating the pad.

When we are away from our vehicle, we spend most of the time cooking and sitting in our sleeping pad/chairs because where we travel, there are no tables.

Bottom line, cover your pad and it will eliminate many of the punctures.

Dave

2006 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW, Michelin XDS-2 19.5's, Vision Wheels
2011 Outfitter 9.5 Extended Cabover
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Making your airbed last
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts