Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Safety
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
boss302

munster

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well planning our first long trip for the winter of 2013 and will be gone approximately 4 1/2 weeks. Need some advice from experienced RVers. How do you protect yourself on the road, we know the general stuff like checking out the area, be alert, locking the RV etc. but I mean when you are in a park from keeping someone from breaking in either when you are there or not. I understand that different states have different laws about carrying a handgun (we are licensed to carry in our state) so I don't think that would be a good idea. Maybe carry a baseball bat? Any suggestion would be appreciated. We have a small dog so that helps some. Thanks

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

be aware of your surroundings, be aware of who is parked next to you; report any suspicious activity to the police and then to park mgmt and so on. RV parks and campgrounds are among the safest places you can be but that doesn't mean bad things can't happen. they can and do...just not too often.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Situational awareness is the best protection but even that can change in an instant. Large flashlights, like a 4 D cell Maglite, baseball bat, bug or bear repellant, disinfectant, or any other aerosol product sprayed directly into someone's eyes, nose and/or mouth, powder (talc, flour) thrown into the face and if you get close enough, pinch the earlobe as hard as you can while digging your fingernail into the skin. It's amazing how fast that can bring someone down. If they stil make AquaNet hairspray in a can, I'd use that. You could land a B52 on my mom's hair back in the 60's. A good shot of that has the capability of glueing eyes shut! Hope you never have to use any of these ideas, but every day household items can be used as long as you think quick enough and are willing to do what is necessary to protect yourself.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take no special precautions

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Zoey, Mika and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't but, some people carry Bear Spray.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Situational awareness" has stood me in good stead for almost 70 years of camping and RV'ing without the need of a weapon for protection against another human being.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Valkyriebush

Yuma, Az/Chimacum, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Situ Awr, Wasp spray. Gun

Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/12 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's pretty safe out here. We've been fulltiming since 1993 , don't carry weapons and have never had any problems. Relax and enjoy your trip.

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Mocoondo

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Situational awareness is the #1 deterrent.

Second to that is some sort of external or behavioral deterrent. In other words, what you do and how you do it can determine whether you are a target or not. Among the many possibilities, here is what we do --

1. We always carry a firearm (but I don't want to get into a gun debate ... it's just our constitutional right and personal choice to do so).

2. We never display conspicuous signs of wealth such as expensive jewelry, watches, electronics, money or the latest/best/every RV gadget known to man. Some might say we travel rather spartan and that is by design.

3. We are by no means wealthy, and we try very hard to not bring up our employment status or financial situation with most people we meet on the road. Since I am in the RV business, it comes up quite often. Frequently, I end up helping someone with one thing or another on their coach or answer a variety of questions about this or that, which I am always happy to do, but if I can avoid it, I do. Point being, if you can keep your financial situation not obvious or not a focus, there is much less of a chance that you will be exploited. I can't tell you how many times I've been pitched for Amway, Melaluca, this basket, that basket, spices for the kitchen, special knives, you name it. These people can spot a sucker with disposable income from clear across the campground.

4. We always lock exterior compartments and the coach entry door at night and when we are not within eyesight of the coach.

5. We also carry a tire thumper, which is primarily used as a quick tire pressure checker, but doubles as a melon thumper if someone breaks in.

6. Everything that we travel with that has any value at all has some indelible personal, identifying mark on it making it ours and proving ownership should it happen to disappear and then reappear at a later time.

7. We are careful of our surroundings at all times and always keep an eye out for sketchy individuals. If something looks not right, it probably is not right and we happily move along.

8. We travel with nothing more than a modest amount of cash at any one time. Usually $500 for an emergency and always spread out in different parts of the coach. It would take a burglar all day to find all of it.

9. We keep a "bad day" checklist which contains copies of all our personal ID's as well as credit card numbers and cell phone contact info. If someone steals a purse or wallet, it's just a few phone calls and everything is shut off. If someone steals or loses a cell phone, we have everyones # written down so that we can make contact and we also have our cell phone providers phone number so we can immediately shut off the cell phone and or initiate a trace as to its whereabouts.

10. We always keep an emergency credit card hidden in the coach. In the event a wallet is stolen and we are forced to shut all our credit cards off, we still have a "get home card" for fuel and food purchases.

11. We rarely leave the coach late at night or for unusually lengthy periods of time.

12. We try to make the acquaintance of our site neighbors as soon as possible after arrival. Offering an appetizer, cocktail or similar, just to break the ice. You can usually gauge someone pretty quickly. Most people will keep an eye out for each other if they know you are gone, etc. We've had some wierdos next to us, but never anyone who I thought would rob us -or- someone who wouldn't do anything if they saw someone other than us breaking into our coach.

13. This one is important ... We **NEVER** park the coach in our driveway for at least a week prior to a scheduled trip. An RV in your driveway with activity around it, or one that appears to be getting prepped for a trip is a calling card for a future burglary at your residence. If a burglar cases your house and sees an RV there and then suddenly it is gone and there is no activity around, he knows you are gone and your house becomes his prime target ... and worse still, he knows he can take his time because you are gone for a while.

14. We always leave our travel plans with a relative or close friend and update that person regularly as to our whereabouts. Ideally, once a day. This way, if something bad were to happen, at least they know to look for us in Wyoming instead of Vermont.

15. Crowe mentions hair spray in his post above. Try some aerosol hairspray and a cigarette lighter. I promise you the person on the receiving end of that will back down.

16. We also stay away from gas stations, truck stops, oasis, rest areas, etc. during nighttime or at strange hours. It's amazing all the crazies that are lurking at a truck stop at 3AM.

I'm sure there are more things that we do that I just don't even think of any more, but this is basically what we do to stay safe. Knock on wood, we've managed to stay pretty safe during our travels.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may be paranoid, what do you do at home? We only watch what's going on and think.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS