Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: 06 Kia Sedona trailer wiring issue...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 06 Kia Sedona trailer wiring issue...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
RobandSharon

Stanwood, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/12 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 06 Kia Sedona with a class III hitch and a flat-4 connector that I've used to haul a small utiltiy trailer around. We just bought a small hybrid (Aerolite Cub)TT. When I connect either trailer up, sometimes the turn signals (at the dash) blink at double speed and don't blink at all on the trailer. Other times they work just fine. I've verified a good ground. Now I'm wondering if the "draw" from the trailer's lights are too much for the van's system? I'm told the van has electronic flashers so upgrading to a "heavy duty" flasher isn't an option. Is there something I have to do to the van's electrical system to get my lights working properly? I have a shop installed wiring harness. Thanks for any input!

afob3

Maryville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/12 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are going to need to convert that 4 way to a 7 pin and add a brake controller if you expect the trailer's brakes to work.

Our first tow vehicle was an 07 Hyundai Entourage. The twin of the Sedona. The electrical system has an 'electronic brain' that will kill a circuit electronically rather than blow a fuse. It drove us nuts until the dealer added a modulite box. Basically it runs juice directly from the battery to the trailer's lights using a signal it gets from the van's light circuit. It minimizes the draw on the van's circuit so it behaves properly.

You will need a modulite adaptor to hook up your lights from the van. Below is an old thread from a dead Entourage forum that shows an installation.

http://hyundaientourageforum.yuku.com/topic/413/2007-Hyundai-Entourage-Hitch-Wiring

2012 Koala 25DS
2011 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew with Max Tow Package

www.familyobrien.net

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/12 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a kit specific to your van which has a converter box all lights run through . And, yes, you will need an electric trailer brake for sure. I suggest the Prodigy two for around $99 on line. I did all the electrical myself on our Sedona. Works great. It is a towin machine for sure. Best of luck.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

RobandSharon

Stanwood, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/12 11:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks you guys! The trailer brakes are definitely at the top of my to do list before I tow the trailer anywhere, but I wanted to get to the bottom of my existing wiring problem first. Oasis Bob, where did you find the wiring kit? Also, where did you mount the brake controller? I'm thinking on the side of the dash console next to my right knee? Thanks again! -Rob

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/12 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you also better check if your Kia has a trans cooler.
pulling a full-height HTT over the Cascades will push the Kia to its limits.
the frontal area's air resistance will stress it, more than the weight. the Cub's frontal area should exceed the Kia's limit.
check the owner's manual.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

RobandSharon

Stanwood, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/12 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input Dan! My Kia does have a factory trans. cooler and I'm looking into weather an upgraded one would be beneficial. As for the frontal area's wind resistance, I'm just going to make sure I put a fresh coat of wax on the trailer so the air will slip over it easier! That should solve the problem, no? :-) At least the front of the trailer is slanted!

tacreamer

Athens, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/13 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, Rob & Sharon

I came across your post concerning the turn signal issue, it's the exact problem that we are having. I was wondering how you resolved the issue?

Thanks

Tim & Jeanie Creamer
2012 Aliner Ranger
tv= 2006 Kia Sedona

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 06 Kia Sedona trailer wiring issue...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: