Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Appalachian Trail
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Appalachian Trail

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
wcmurdoch

Everett, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for some help. I am planning to help a family member that is planning to hike the AT. I find very little information on campgrounds close to the AT that can handle my 35' 5th wheel. If you have ever stayed in a campground that has easy access to the Appalachian Trail I would appreciate the name and general location. Thanks in advance

BettynLen

Hendersonville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/12 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because of it's location, basically along the spine of the Appalachians, you will not find a lot of close campgrounds to the trail. The Blue Ridge Parkway has several but they are closed from late fall until spring and they have no hookups. The trail is almost 2200 miles long so you might just want to download their brochure and see where you can meet up with the hiker and then look for campgrounds.

Good Luck!

botts12

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/12 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Black Bear Campground in Florida, NY. It is not very far from Black Bear State Park. The trail goes right through the state park and crosses the Hudson River there also. We enjoyed hiking about 5 miles of the trail from there. Made it all the way to one of the trail huts where the hikers spend the night. Beautiful part of the AT.

MickeyBrennan

Playa de Carmen, Q.R. Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/12 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue Rocks Campground in Lenhertsville PA has great trails. Blue Rocks offers access to the Appalachian trail with several side trails (Pulpit Rock and Pinnacle trails).

Blog

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/12 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you need is one of the mapping programs that shows campgrounds. From graphical representations it is so much easier to find places near where you are going. Since none of them that I've seen actually shows the AT, you'd need to cross-reference them with a Trail map. I'd suggest the Allstay's app for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch or Android devices.

Along the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive portions of the AT with which I am familiar, there are many campgrounds within a few miles of the AT, but none through which the AT actually passes. Some of those nearby have hookups, but many more do not. Since through-hikers travel light and do not often go far from the trail itself, there's no particular reason for there to be campgrounds able to accommodate big rigs along the Trail.

Best of luck.

2hams

Virginia Beach, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with naturist. You could check out Wildwood Campground, Monroe VA

2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2008 Silverado 2500HD D/A

Helmsey

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hot Springs Resort & Spa in Hot Springs, NC has a campground you can get into. The AT runs right through town and the shops there mostly cater to through hikers. I highly recommend it.

KK4PFX
2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Days camped in 2012: 34
Days camped in 2013: 30
Days camped in 2014: 29

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naturist is correct. DH, & DS, have backpacked sections of the AT in Maine, the Smokeys, etc. We have used maps to find campgrounds in the area of the trailhead. If the campground is not close to the trailhead, I take them to it, and meet them at a pre-arranged location a few days later. Cell phones have really helped this process. Sorry, but we have not kept notes on campgrounds. Just thought this process might help in meeting the hiker.

Brad01

NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a book written about traveling the AT by car. Well, as close as possible. It might give you some ideas. Good luck.
Road Trip USA Appalachian Trail

2005 Chev 2500 PU CC 4x4 SB Duramax/Allison with ARE Camper Top
2002 Keystone Hornet 32R TT w/ 1 slide

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp Taylor CG, Columbia NJ Close to Delaware Water Gap

The CG property borders the Appalachian trail between Mt Tammany and Sunfish Pond. You have to take the mountain trail, which starts at the CG to the AT. The CG owners can advise you on trail conditions etc. Plenty of room for big rigs. Good water and electric sites. Has pump out service and dump station.The CG is tops on my list on non ocean front CG's

Full timing it since July 2012

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Appalachian Trail
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS