Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Parking an RV while on a cruise ship
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Parking an RV while on a cruise ship

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Chloegates

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/12 05:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We normally travel to SW Florida for the winter months, this year we will be stopping off to take a short cruise. Not sure where we should park the RV. We have a cat, so we should stay plugged in. The first campground (and most desireable) said we could'nt leave our RV unatttened??? We've never had any problem with theft or vandelism in any campground. Certainly we are not the only ones that have ever wanted to park and take a cruise, any suggestions?

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/12 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You gave them to much information. Lots of people take a cruise while there Rv is in the park, I would not leave a dog or cat unattended with out someone checking on things. Other then that I see no need to tell the office.

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

botts12

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/12 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We left our RV for three nights while we visited family. We were in a Florida State Park. We did not tell them but no where in the rules does it say we can't leave it. Find a Florida State Park nearby and leave it there hooked up.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have no problem leaving the RV under the circumstances you describe, except I would never leave a pet unattended. The power at the park could go off, or a circuit breaker could trip, and after a day in the FL heat, I would think your cat would be in extremis. We had a family emergency while in Key West this past winter and easily found a kennel to take care of our dog while we were gone.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

workhardplayharder

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chloegates wrote:

We have a cat, so we should stay plugged in.
Unless the cruise is ONE day, you shouldn't leave the cat.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love to surf & turf (camp to and from a cruise). Never done it with a pet before. If a breaker trips and the AC looses power the cat could die, depending on the weather.

I have left my RV in parks for many days with nobody in it before and never had a problem, but also never asked. In campgrounds that offer monthly or seasonal sites it is very common.

Would it work to board the cat and just park the camper? We parked our last Motorhome right at the cruise port in Miami and then just walked off the ship with our bags and we were home. It was wonderful! We only had one group 31 battery in good shape, so I parked facing south, put a 5w solar charger in the windshield for the house battery, and jumperd in a charged jump start battery for good measure. It easily ran the fridge on propane for a week.

Jim

francheska

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/12 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi we are currently camping in Fla. and will be going on a cruise in 2 weeks. (7 day) We have arranged
for the cat to go to the pet sitter for 8 days. It is cheaper to park the trailer and truck at the cruise terminal than to leave it in the park, plus they have 24 hour security. If you are leaving from Port Canaveral PM
me and I will give you specifics. Bob

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would board the pet and park the RV at the cruise terminal.

If you are going to leave a live animal unattended in your RV at a RV park, you can't let them know about it, as they will refuse. Them knowing about it makes them an accomplice to a possible charge of animal cruelty.

Otherwise, without the pet, most RV parks do not require you to occupy a site you rent, but would prefer you let them know when you won't be there. Some public campgrounds (like COE recreation areas) require overnight presence to continue holding a campsite, but I've not yet seen anyone enforce that regulation, which applies across the system in the case of the COE.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Parking an RV while on a cruise ship
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS