Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Battery Charger?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Battery Charger?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
pinkiwong

Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/12 12:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be going to my first camping trip in a month or so. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good portable batter charger for iphone and ipad? due to work i will still need to have access to them, but i want to make sure that i will have enough battery to last the whole trip...

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/12 04:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pinkiwong wrote:

I will be going to my first camping trip in a month or so. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good portable batter charger for iphone and ipad? due to work i will still need to have access to them, but i want to make sure that i will have enough battery to last the whole trip...

Does the stock iPad charger not do what you want? For the iPad you will need 2.1 amp charger. You can use that same one on the iPhone as well. As you looking for a car charger, or one to charge 2 devices at the same time?

Jim

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking about an inverter or a car charger? I have both.

Call me if you wish.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
KG7EFA - Kenwood Radios

pinkiwong

Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 12:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

im just worried when we go hiking and fishing and what not, will not want to have it plugged in to the rv. so ive been google-ing and researching online and found this one on new trent http://www.newtrent.com/ has anyone used one or know of someone that used one? it sounds pretty good and decent price.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 05:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok you are talking about additional batteries that charge the built In phone battery. Yes there are many that work. A car charger plugged into your vehicle will draw down VERY little from the vehicle battery if you plug it in for just a few hours to charge then unplug. That's what I do. On vehicles where you cannot plug just the 12v power tap (it powers up lots of other stuff with the key in), I use a portable 12v outlet that clamps right to the battery terminals.

There are also solar battery rechargers that combine a portable external battery like you show above with a solar panel to recharge it's built in battery. Leave it in the sun and it is always slowly recharging the little battery. So if you leave home with a full charge (you can usually plug them in as well), it will add in a little extra capacity from sunlight.

Jim

* This post was edited 10/18/12 05:50am by HiTech *

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use something I found at Walmart called Case Mate. It is sold as an auxilary power source ("booster") and recharger for devices using the USB power standard, which covers older iPhones and iPods but not iPad or the newest iPhones (which require excessive current).

Case Mate is a small rechargable lithium ion battery pack that has about two to three times the capacity of the battery in an iPhone or iPod Touch. When the Case Mate is fully charged it recharges my Touch in about 30 minutes, a bit longer if I continue using it. I have not tried it with the iPad, as I can get almost a full day use on the iPad's battery. The rating on the Case Mate device suggests it will not charge any of the Apple toys requiring high charging current.

There were several similar options when I shopped, this was one of the least expensive and had additional umbilical cords for charging other USB devices. The Case Mate is inexpensive because it is very cheaply made. In a year, a couple of pieces (door, a small knob) have broken off, but the device is still functional.

You can probably find something sturdier and more expensive with the Apple brand, and it will likely charge Apple devices only. But it might also charge an iPad.

You might find something even less expensive branded from one of the battery makers (Duracell, Eveready, RayOVac). These will be either rechargable will use AA or AAA disposables. These have been around for many years as "booster" power or rechargers for mobile phones and MP3 players.

The several chargers offered by New Trent have 4 to 8 times the capacity of the one I am using and some models are rated to charge the most power-hungry new iPhones and iPods. The biggest one could probably keep an iPod Touch or iPhone 3GS running for a week. That one is the capacity of a small motorcycle battery, for Pete's sake.

* This post was edited 10/20/12 09:56am by tatest *

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Battery Charger?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS