Woodalls Open Roads Forum: What we found at the 2012 Pomona Show
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> What we found at the 2012 Pomona Show

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was the first time to the show in five or six years, we're usually on the road this time of year but had some engine trouble and family health issues, so we were home. What we wanted to see were innovations in the last few years, what was available in the Class C area and just to look for upgrade ideas for our rig. Hoped to see some after market stuff too. All a big disapointment.

Looked at the Redhawk bunkhouse from Jayco. DW liked it much to my surprise. I don't think she noticed how much loss of storage there was. Nice rig for about $75K.

The DW always wanted to look at the small rigs, she wants smaller I want bigger. Looked at the Leisure lineup from Tripple E. Nice well appointed and on the Sprinter chasis. Priced about $95K.

Walked over to McMahon's with trepidation, the last time I was at one of their shows the salesman that was up when I walked in wouldn't let me look at anything without pushing me to get some numbers down on paper first. I ask him for his card and said if I find anything I like, I'll come get him. No deal on that so I walked. It was a little more relaxed than that. The reason we went in was to look at the View's and Via's. DW looked at the Via 25T and fell in love with it. I kinda felt good about it too. Very nice rig but no room for the grandkids and then we found out they have the Studio Loft Bed. That was the only real innovation we saw was the motorized loft beds. Sturdy, easy to set up and able to hold a fair load, not like the ones from ten years ago. Didn't even look at the Vista's after seeing the Via.

Looked at the Tiffin Breeze in 28 and 32 foot. Nice but like a lot of the new rigs, we can't get in and out of the beds. Seems basement models are gone and in order to get that rear storage compartment they raised the beds up really high. Just for kicks looked a a couple Phaeton's. Wife's comment, "I'm not interested in a MoHo that's nicer than my house". One and a half baths with dual glass sinks in the masterbath. Bob Tiffin was there but talking to some buyers and I didn't want to interrupt so I didn't get to meet him.

All in all the show was a big dissapointment, other than the Jayco sales force not to high pressure. No matter how many times I told the gal from Jayco we were looky loo's, she kept going, got the factory rep over then her boss. Finally I had to get rude and tell her, "I'm going now, if I change my mind I've got your card", even then she followed us out onto the street and gave me a third card.

One thing that bothered me was the lack of data sheets in the rigs. I only found one and it was so dark inside the cabinet I couuldn't read the very fine print. Without a data sheet you have no idea of the CCC. One salesman even told me he would get it for before the PDI. I thought I wouldn't even talk about buying with out first having read the sheet.

Maybe we'll try some of the other gatherings because Pomona is a big waste.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/12 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting your experience, always interesting to know what's up at the shows.

I also wonder why there isn't at least some sort of handout inside an Rv on display at a show sometimes. I guess they want you to find a salesman. I like to make decisions by reading and comparing features after I've seen a big ticket item, so appreciate a brochure or flyer with lots of data.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit 210B Sprinter,
also known as the "Lab Cab" for Hearing Dog Raylene
(a 2014 graduate of Dogs for the Deaf, Inc.)

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to the show on its first day on Friday to avoid the crowds. It seems that there were more manufacturers present than just a few years ago. Practically every type of RV was on display to suit everyone's budget and taste. What is still lacking, is the amount of vendors inside the tents. There is no better place in the west coast than the Pomona show to see almost every RV ever made in one location.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/12 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there Friday, may have crossed paths. I'm tall, with white hair and DW is blond with me pushing her in her wheelchair. There were a lot of MFGs there and we did look at a lot of them but Mike Thompson used to be almost all Fleetwood , but no longer. Never saw Tiffin at Mike Thompson before. I did enjoy the show but my point was more toward the lack of inovations, the biggest change I noticed is the lack of exterior basement storage. Lots more bunkhouse models and huge assortment of TTs and THs.

Youngest Daughter and family live in Simi Valley, more TTs an 5ers out there in driveways than anything else.

I had hoped to see Roadmast there but no, we may still make it to Oregon and Washington this month and I'll stop at Roadmaster to have them look at the towbar. Wish I could have had it done at the show.

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/12 01:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm headed out to the show this weekend (19th and 20th) Thanks for the trip report!

Highway 4x4

La Verne, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/12 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live a few miles from it so I go every year. I remember when it was so big there was almost no way to see it in one try. You parked a mile away ant they trammed you in. The tent was full and the entire place was carpeted. Now it's $10 to park and $10 to get in without a discount and unless you look at every rig of every type you will see it all in a couple of hours. Many of the sales people there know nothing or very little about what they are trying to sell but the factory reps are there and can give you the straight scoop. This show isn't helped by the jump in gas prices. I was told by a few salespeople that people are waiting till after the election to decide on what to do. From what I saw I think the quality of construction has come up a click or two from what it was, could it go down? Half ton towable is a big thing. I will be back there next year and will probably see just about the same stuff I saw this year.

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, here is our take on this year's Pomona RV Show. We went to the Pomona RV show during the week, the 17th. The previous time we had gone was two years ago. In our opinion, there were way way less RV's on display than there were two years ago. Plus, the sales people were even more aggressive, if that is possible. One young sales guy accosted me on one of the main thoroughfares, and I had to tell him firmly 3 or 4 times that I wasn't interested, and to please leave me be. I was polite but firm. But then he got mad. Very bad form.

Also, two years ago, when you paid, you could get a wrist band if you asked, and come back the next day on the first day's entrance dime. This year, they wanted $5 for the wristband. Tacky. Didn't matter though, as there were so few offerings, we covered everything in a few hours.

Every year we go to the annual new car show Thanksgiving weekend here in Phoenix at the massive Civic Center. You pay a fee to get in, and then no one bothers you as you crawl in and out of every vehicle checking out every aspect of it. Obviously that is the rule. That's why we keep going to the show -- we'd rather pay an entry fee to be left alone to browse. Apparently RV shows are not that way. That's a pity.

The Pomona RV show was so disappointing this year, we don't plan to ever go back.

* This post was edited 10/22/12 02:57pm by crcr *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> What we found at the 2012 Pomona Show
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS