Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Bicycle Carrier
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bicycle Carrier

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was looking at ETrailer for a receiver hitch bike carier. Looks like there are scads of them-----http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Bike_Racks-sf-Hanging_Rack-pt-2_Bikes.aspx

Do you like any of these?

Any other ideas?

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Sport rack ez4 off ebay for a fraction of any other price. Took a while but I got it for a good price.

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

1fastdad

mo.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/12 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Highland Sport Wing I got from Sams club for $40 three years ago. I bought a dual receive adapter and turned it upside down and put the bake carier in the top hole and my ball hitch in the bottom to pull my car.

1fastdad

mo.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/12 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sorry double post

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Luke Porter wrote:

Was looking at ETrailer for a receiver hitch bike carier. Looks like there are scads of them-----http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Bike_Racks-sf-Hanging_Rack-pt-2_Bikes.aspx

Do you like any of these?

Any other ideas?

Nope. I don't like any hanging style rack after watching them while going down the road, and after what happened to mine. There is way too much cantilever force and your asking for trouble over time. Any rack where they hold by the wheels is much better. JMO. But they are your bikes, so how much do you value them?

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

harley-dave

Peoria, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a Swagman XTC-2 rack and love it. The bikes sit in the rack instead of hang by the frame. Easy to load and very sturdy. We use the 2 bike version.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2008 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest you visit stores that sell Bicycle racks, this includes bicycle stores and RV stores, and take a look at what they have, Pick a style you like then go to the web site and see if they have it, (Or pick several)

There are several types there that look good to me.

Some considerations: IF you are towing something with your vehicle upon which you will mount the rack, you either need a FRONT mount, (Which I have used) or a mount that lets you tow a trailer (A car in tow is a trailer) behind the bike rack.. There are four kinds of those.

ONe has a clamp that slips over the 2" Square bar on the hitch adapter

One has a "Tong" that mounts under the ball on a standard trailer hitch adapter

One has a 2" hitch adapter, is mounted in the center of it and the adapter has a ball hitch "tong" at the other end for your ball.

And the 4th is mounted on a 2" hitch extender

This last one reduces your towing capacity (hitch rating, not vehicle tow rating but the hitch rating) so a 5,000 pound hitch may now only be able to tow 4,000 or 3,000 depending on the amount of extension and if you use a drop adapter.

However beyond that, Just get a design you like. I did.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

nosticks

Tampa, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same here on the Swagman XTC-2. I have had two of them. Gave one to a friend as I didn't need it where I lived for a while next to a 40+ mile bike trail. When I moved further away, I bought another one and use it weekly. They will fit either size receiver. Another friend saw mine and had just purchased one of the racks that hang the bikes on a single pole leaving them to flop around while traveling, and without even using it, returned it and bought a Swagman XTC-2. No I don't work for them, it's just a great product.

NoSticks
2010 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4
2010 Montana Mountaineer 324RLQ

janechucknicodemus

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have watched bikes rattle back and forth on many trailers and MH's . We voted when we got good bike to get the best carrier we could. The Thule carrier saddle type such as the 990XT is the one we have and trust, get it with locks and be secure.
Good luck

Olde Volks Place

Ga

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure of your needs,But I have this one. It is a THULE md# 9027 Apex Swing, Mine is the earlier style but still the same design.
I ordered mine from Rack Attack .com, Yes it is pricey but if you have a mini van or any type rear opening hatch or door style vehicle it is AWESOME,because you do hot have to remove the bikes.

My 2cents worth but I wanted only one bike rack for multiple uses and this was the best fit for my Family.

Good Luck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bicycle Carrier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS