Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Getting the wife to drive
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Getting the wife to drive

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
CakeHenn

Temple, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a truck and travel trailer. My wife has never towed before. At this point all of our trips have been fairly close so I don't mind but if we ever take a long trip I'm going to need help maybe.

How would you go about getting your spouse to become comfortable driving the trailer?

To me getting on the highway and going 55-60 mph is pretty easy...a few lane changes maybe but there is nothing to it. I envision getting her to take over from a stop where driving to the highway access would be fairly easy and then when we are ready to stop she could just pull over at a rest stop or exit and find an easy pull over spot and then I could take it from there.

The other issue is she does not seem to appreciate the planning that goes into driving around for stops like gas and food. I can't just pull into any parking lot as if it was just the truck and no TT. Some of that is my own fear of getting into a tight spot that would be very difficult to get out of.

TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

Beartoo

Perham MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Join the crowd, My DW will not tow nor, let me do it the way I need, (ie gas stations, parking lots)
HELP US ALL

DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/12 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has she ever driven the truck when not towing?

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go Dogs wrote:

I don't drive unless it's an emergency. I concentrate on being the best co-pilot. Watching directions, looking at the gas gauge, getting the tolls ready, having snacks and drinks on hand. All DH has to do is keep the rubber on the road.

Sorry to say...but my DW is not able to even stay awake to check the gas gauge let alone watch for directions. She is only able to watch the inside of her eyelids.

* This post was edited 10/20/12 06:35am by SWD *

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't drive unless it's an emergency. I concentrate on being the best co-pilot. Watching directions, looking at the gas gauge, getting the tolls ready, having snacks and drinks on hand. All DH has to do is keep the rubber on the road.

DRSMPS

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine will drive, but only moving forward. We have to switch seats every time she needs to back up. At first she didn't want anything to do with it, but I've encouraged her to take short trips at first and am working to slowly build her confidence. The reality is that if something were to happen to me (get hurt, sick) that she needs to know how to handle the rig on her own. As for learning to back up, I find it easier to teach her the basics with the riding lawn mower and a garden trailer in the yard. She can see all of the corners and learn how to maneuver it. Basically how I learned when I was a kid! We'll take small steps and work our way up from there.

Uma & Papa

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have said again and again....ladies YOU need to learn how....drove down to the beach last weekend (2 1/2 hours both ways)and I drove coming and going......I like the looks I get wheeling the truck and RV. Besides it gives the hubby a chance to catch up on his sleep. (Even had our twin granddaughter with us too, Uma has to show them they can do anything!)

deereone

NE

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago my wife refused to drive. Then we had a discussion about maybe she should at least drive a few miles just in case an emergency came up where it was necessary and she would know how to better handle the rig. So she did try driving. She didn't like it but said it was not as bad as she thought. She does not like driving in heavy traffic or city conditions. But on long trips she will drive freeways and such for a 100 miles or so. It's enough to give me a break and even catch a short nap at times. When we have to get off for fuel or change roads I like her in the right hand seat telling me the way.

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW used to drive our class C until she drove a car off the road, since then I've done all the driving. And, the way she drives, I would just as soon do all the driving, less nerve racking.
IMO a truck and trailer could be very intimidating to drive, I can understand her reluctance. Like another poster asked, has she driven the truck before? If not you can start with getting her used to driving the truck, then ease her into driving a short, easy section of a trip.

Andym133

Cantonment

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife drives all the time. The only problem I have is that it is from the back seat.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Getting the wife to drive
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS