Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Ford Dealership
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ford Dealership

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
ncmaineac

wilmington, nc

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

This is my first post and I am coming to you with a question about ethics and I have a conundrum.

I brought my "new to me" Rv to dealer to get my brakes looked at as they were making a noise like grinding. I was told that I needed new brakes and Rotors. About 850.00.

I drive the RV out of lot (Friday at 5:30pm leaving in AM for florida trip) and I can still hear the same noise. But think that they fixed it and it will go away trying to be positive.

No luck, went to Florida and back and brought the RV back and it seems the problem was not the brakes and rotors but some other brake part that will be 700 more.

Now I never saw the brakes and Rotors and not sure I would know anyways if they were borderline or not and he told me they were borderline and if he turned them down they would not be within tolorences anyways. So I agreed.

Now that I know he fixed the wrong thing do I have any rights. He didnt fix the right thing and said the brakes were borderline.

Something just doesnt seem right to me.

Can you give me your opinions on what you think and what you would do.

Thanks,

Bill

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe it did need what the Ford dealer put in and in addition it needs more work. Can't imagine a dealer not having the old parts available for you to look at. If you don't ask they don't usually offer...You should have turned around after you heard the same noise and had the Service Manager drive it with you. Having not that I guess it's time to sit down with the Service Manager and see what, if anything they are willing to do for you. I wouldn't expect much..

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum, you will receive a wide and opinionated response to an issue like this.

First place could have made an honest mistake, but if you don't think so:

My first thought is to find someplace else, hopefully a highly recommended place from a friend and have them inspect it (get a firm price for inspection). If the first place did do a complete front brake job then so far you are OK. Although you did sort of pay for something you may not have needed right away it is still nice to have new front brakes.

Get the second place to confirm the brake issue and get a firm estimate for the repair, with the understanding the problem will be fixed for that price.

OR, go back to the first place and complain like heck and demand the real problem be fixed for free or a huge discount.

Please let us know how it works out.

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

spud57

Stratford PE

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately these things do happen. I'm one that would want to give the dealer a chance to make things right. Sit down with the Service Manager and discuss your issue. If they really want to make things right I'm sure you and him/her will come to a satisfactory solution.

If not? A call to the owner would be my next step.

S

2008 F250 XLT 4x4 SC LB V10
2010 Outback 321FRL 5th wheel

Billieg2

Lake Wales Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same thing happen with my A/C. They said it was the compressor and replaced it. A week later no cold air. Took it back and then they said it needed some kind of clutch fan part (another $800). A week later no cold air. Took it to another A/C place and they found a leaking hose.... How do you prove it didn't need all the other parts? You can't. I will never go to the first shop again but $1,600 is a lot of money to throw away... I think the next time I will get 2 opinions before I put out the cash.

In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud57 wrote:

Unfortunately these things do happen. I'm one that would want to give the dealer a chance to make things right. Sit down with the Service Manager and discuss your issue. If they really want to make things right I'm sure you and him/her will come to a satisfactory solution.

If not? A call to the owner would be my next step.

S

This is the approach I would take also. Give the dealer a chance to make good, or at least help on the additional repairs.
On a high dollar repair it is always a good idea to ask for the old parts be given to you. Although possible an unscruplous repair shop could try to pass off parts that were not really yours, most times it would be a way to insure the parts were really replaced.
Not likely the dealer would have kept the old parts for long, or even tagged them from which vehicle they came off of unless asked to. And without the old parts, no way to claim the repair/replacement was not needed.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/12 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

....luck, went to Florida and back and brought the RV back and it seems the problem was not the brakes and rotors but some other brake part that will be 700 more.

What was the 'some other brake part' that was needed to the tune of 700.00?

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

What was the 'some other brake part' that was needed to the tune of 700.00?

That's what I was wondering too...maybe a master cylinder?

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

ncmaineac

wilmington, nc

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the responses.

After much thought I called the service manager who I have been dealing with (who has remained reasonable) about my feelings. We both said our piece without interruptions and at the end we both decided we have made mistakes.

He asked me what was fair and I told him that I felt compelled to pay for the parts that he installed as they are new parts and it was out of pocket for him and I would have the advantage of the new brakes. So I would pay for them.

And he agreed to pay for the labor which was over 300 on 850.00 bill. He would apply the labor money remimbursement to the fix of the original problem which is called a BRAKE BOOSTER. He quoted me 700 and thats what I will pay minus the labor reimbursement.

I believe the man to be fair even though he is the only place in town that can do brakes on an RV. My Rv is on a Ford Frame with v-10 so I am hoping to solidify a good relationship for the future. My coach is a 2002 with 60k and things will happen.

Again, Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Bill

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might want to ask right now what happens if the problem persists? Don't want to go through this all again if the booster doesn't fix it.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ford Dealership
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS