Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Toilet-related
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Toilet-related

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
sellstroms

Greensboro, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last week we spent 6 days at a campground without sewer hookup. I decided to try two tips I had read on this forum and am happy to report success in both areas.
1. No toilet paper into the tank. We put all used toilet paper into a bag (which we threw out each night!!)
2. Poured used dishwater into the toilet each time I finished doing
the dishes.

The dumping process was quick and easy. Somehow the dumping chore has fallen to me, and I appreciate any tips that make it easier. Thanks to whoever posted those tips!!

Keep the ideas coming!!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/12 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Take a sheet of toilet paper and put it in a glass of water. Wait a day and see what is left.

Dumping dish water into the black tank is more about saving capacity in the grey water tank than increasing the effectiveness of the black water tank.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/12 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't see toilet paper taking up that much room in the tank.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

rsmith159

Cobourg

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I'm glad these ideas worked out for you but if I had to put used TP into a bag to get through a camping trip I would 1)Stay home 2)find another campground with sewer hookup 3) use campground toilets 4)shorten my trip. Other options may come to mind later. What about pump out services? I think sometimes things are taken to extremes. Camping should be enjoyed, not tolerated.

Rick in Cobourg

2008 Trail Lite Crossover 180T
2010 Ram 2WD Hemi

Billieg2

Gone from this forum

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

Take a sheet of toilet paper and put it in a glass of water. Wait a day and see what is left.

Dumping dish water into the black tank is more about saving capacity in the grey water tank than increasing the effectiveness of the black water tank.

2X. The paper won't make a big difference. The dishwater will help with cleaning your sensors but usually the grey tank is bigger than the black and if worse comes to worse you can let a little grey water out without any harm on the ground. Many cities use grey water to water lawns.

In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I see neither of those ideas as worth a hoot. The black tank is for holding humane waste. There are all sorts of enzymes in there that help break down the solid matter. Dumping dish water in there basically kills those good things. Using a septic safe toilet paper is all you need and it too goes down the toilet. Get yourself a blue boy, or what ever you call it in your area and carry it along with you on those times when there is no full Hookups. Most campgrounds will have some sort of teepee for dumping gray water. With correct use the black tank should last for nearly a week for two to three people.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sellstroms wrote:

Last week we spent 6 days at a campground without sewer hookup. I decided to try two tips I had read on this forum and am happy to report success in both areas.
1. No toilet paper into the tank. We put all used toilet paper into a bag (which we threw out each night!!)
2. Poured used dishwater into the toilet each time I finished doing
the dishes.

The dumping process was quick and easy. Somehow the dumping chore has fallen to me, and I appreciate any tips that make it easier. Thanks to whoever posted those tips!!

Keep the ideas coming!!

Well....Item 2 I sometimes do if I need to save gray tank space, but no thanks on item 1!!!! I've never needed to save black tank space that bad.....

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

Can't see toilet paper taking up that much room in the tank.

Agree - yuck on not putting it in the tank - wow who even thought that one up

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
158 Campgrounds since we retired in 2009

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. DO put your tp paper IN the toilet. Just make sure since you do not have hookups that you buy the RV toilet paper. Not as nice to use but it DOES break down rapidly.

I am at a CG right now that does not have hookups. They come around once a week and pump your black tank. They insist that you let the gray water go into the ground. Ask your CG host. You might find out that they do allow you do dump gray out on ground.

.....goes IN the toilet!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as a FYI, COSTCO KIRKLAND toilet paper is fine for an RV toilet. It's a lot more affordable too!

Don't believe me? Take a few sheets, put it in a jar with some water and give it a few shakes and you'll see what I'm saying! Then try this with a Kleenex tissue then maybe some Quilted Northern or Scott Tissue. You'll get it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Toilet-related
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS