Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Why No Security System?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why No Security System?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/12 03:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know, it's camping and all, the great outdoors,etc.

However, many of us are solo travelers and it would be nice to have a little camera outside w/ a monitor

Maybe in Class A's it's standard, I don't know. It just seems like it's an option that a lot of people would take if it were offered to them.

WoodGlue

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/12 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Security light with motion detector is really all you need.
Cheap and easy to install and many are solar.

I prefer to see them standing in a very bright light as opposed to seeing them creep around my MH in the dark on a monitor.

n-USfficial&client=firefox-a">https://www.google.com/search?q=solar+mo........iddle" alt="" />fficial&client=firefox-a

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mdfenley

Winder, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/12 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can purchase camera's cheap over the internet. If you have a shop nearby that installs stereos and sound systems in cars, odds are they will install the camera for you. They can do a security light. Just an idea.

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/12 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed, but I still think it's a HUGE untapped "optional" market.

I wouldn't mind a scare light w/ a camera and monitor or at least the option to buy it as part of my travel trailer package.

Hell, some manufacturers will sell you bedding (Lance included) but nothing for basic security, like a beefier lock/deadbolt/camera.

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/12 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a smart phone you can buy an inexpensive IP camera. However setting one up can be confusing and difficult for a novice. Or you can pipe one in yourself. Systems are sold with multiple cameras and recorders.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/12 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a solo traveler and I installed a camera and monitor - pointed at the hookup to my toad that I pull behind my "C". Also useful for the one time in my life that I had to back in to a site. If I felt the need for a security camera, I don't know where I'd point it. There's 3 doors on my "C". When I overnight, I choose FHU campgrounds that mostly have a single entrance/exit. If I was a thief, I'd be shopping in a rest area parking lot or a Wally World, and for that, a fake camera pointed at the door would work just as well as a real one. In the great big scheme of things, all you can do is make yourself less of a target than someone else.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/12 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks!

I just think with all the options they offer, that MFGs might think about security measures a little more. Not everyone is a tech savvy as others. I'm having to do the light myself. Here it is if anyone is interested:

Scare Light

Mike& Rose

Lake & Horse country,Blackstone Valley MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/12 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen an RV Security System being sold at RV shows. Do not recall the name but someone on this forum may have one and be able to give your more info.

See you on the road!

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/12 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the 'standard' features seem strange to me. Why don't they have better lighting/security features? My TT came with bedspread that was 'dry-clean' only. That was useless to me.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kinda had the same problem that JIM SHOE reported on. I too wouldn't know where the best spot would be to mount a security camera.

I ended up going with the MOTION DETECTOR system. Mine is from the Home Automation Store and ties into my handheld FOP lighting controls inside and outside the POPUP.

I have a motion detector on both the front and back of my off-road POPUP that turns on a light mounted under the awning. It also gives a silent alarm inside the trailer.

Its kinda handy to have walking to the bath house at camp grounds as I can turn on my patio light 50-60 feet away from the trailer on the return trip. I can also turn on my interior and exterior lights for the POPUP from the bed side table as well using the X10 remote thumpers.

We do alot of camping off the power grid and having the motion detector on both sides of the trailer is very handy to have. There are always deer and other critters wandering around at night.

Might want to check out HOME AUTOMATION STORE for their X10 series motion detector units. I have also seen the motion detector light that you have listed but they are a bit expensive for me. Those have had some reported UV problems with their lens as well from years back which has probably all been corrected by now.

Motion detector lights sometimes bother campers when folks are just walking up and down the campground streets - I use a piece of black tape over mine to reduce the sensitivity of the unit where they only activate when someone or something is real close to the patio.

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why No Security System?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues