Woodalls Open Roads Forum: What do you look for in a camp store?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What do you look for in a camp store?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friends of ours are opening a new campground next season in the Finger Lakes/Rochester area. What items do you find are absolutely necessary for a camp store. There is a Wal-mart within 1/4 mile but folks in a motorhome would have to uproot to get there. Include your supplies and food items, etc. I will send your thoughts to them.

Western New Yorkers
One lazy Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we almost never shop or buy anything at a camp store. exceptions might be the occasional ice cream cone.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell your friends that most RVers don't care about the camping store, we care most about the quality and size of the sites in a campground.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Biker1mike

Gallatin, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A small emergency supply area is nice. Electrical tape, string, sewer fitting and such.
Wife likes to see local crafts and last minute food stuffs, like marshmellows.
I gravitate with the grand kid to the campground tee shirts and stuff.

Hot coffee for arriving guest or early risers.
A decent ice machine with block and cubes for us campers that live out of coolers.

Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling 97 Rockwood pop-up

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/12 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

we almost never shop or buy anything at a camp store. exceptions might be the occasional ice cream cone.

Same here...for the few items they buy, they have a hefty mark up.

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Zoey, Mika and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Movie rentals

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 1500 2857

Queens Carriage

Treasure Coast, FLorida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With Wal-mart so close I don't think having things for the rv would help much. But I like the thought of the creature comfort things. Noce to gather around for coffee,icecream,candy,balloons,crackerjacks, ect.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree with most of the posters, no one really needs anything from a campstore.
Location has everything to do with what you carry. If you are close to shopping, like we are in our parks, you cannot compete with those stores.
We do the best with a few emergency items as described. Sewer hoses, water hoses, cables for cable TV. Soft drinks, candy, ice cream as far as food goes. We sell a whole lot of higher end gifts. We don't mark them up as much as the competition, since our idea is we are primarily an RV park, the store is just there to fill out the space. The desk help is already there, so we have no labor costs. We can price local artwork, quality souvenir clothing and the like for less than the competition. You cannot compete at the cheap end, and you will just end up looking junky. Being higher end and quality will make everything look better.
If you are isolated, carry much more and price with higher margins since you will be the only game in town, but I doubt that will be the case near the finger lakes.

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't have RV stores near home and when I go into a campground store I always look at what they have in terms of RV "supplies" and add ons. Your friends should go into that local Walmart and see what they are selling specifically for RVs and then decide what items they could sell that would be helpful to RVers that the Walmart does not have. I have bought several things like this at campground shops including a black tank flush wand and an anode rod. Things that may break or be forgotten for hook up are also good to have. Their shop might also carry some basic snack items, maybe milk, and anything that can be used at the campground for recreation. One campground we go to has a stream that can one can go fishing in and the campground store sells some basic fishing equipment and bait.

And to add to the above responder, they should contact local craftspeople and sell some locally made handcrafts which cannot be found at the retail stores. These make great souvenir items. Often the craftspeople will put their work in the shop on consignment and the shop owner has no investment but space allocation - and gets a piece of the sale. As a craftsperson, myself, I would be thrilled for the sales opportunity.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

fandango49

Severna Park, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/12 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beer and ice, what else would one need?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues