Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Tent Camping In A VW Camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Tent Camping In A VW Camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
TravisMcGee

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost thirty years ago I wandered all over the country in my VW camper. Back in those days, most state parks let me camp in tent camp sites. It saved quite a bit of money.

I'm wondering if that's still the policy today? I'm thinking of getting another one and hitting the road for awhile. A used one now costs more than what I paid new for my 84 model.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reminiscing about my first official camping trip with my Grandpa in his new 1953 spit windshield, Kombi model(bus), VW. Parked on a point on Lake Geneva in Keystone Heights, FL. nearly 60 years ago. I still remember the bream I caught and drawing water from the lake to make coffee, although I wasn't permitted to partake.

Then, this past summer, while parked at Hagan-Stone Park near Greensboro, N.C., I had the pleasure of viewing a VW rally held there. Must have been close to 100 VWs... many Westfalia campers, converted buses, and a few old beetles. They ranged from mid 50's to late 80s or early 90s. Quite nostalgic. BTW, my first NEW car was a 1966 VW bug @ $1,800 delivered. Not quite a cool today as the 55 Chevy I drove before that. But, I was excited.

RVn Full-time

TravisMcGee

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have some good memories of the old camper days. My first car was also a VW, a 1963, and it was about $1800 also. It was a sunroof.

Olde Volks Place

Ga

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, as the name "olde volks place" implies we have 4 old volkswagens from 60-64 one is a herbie clone that one belongs to my now 11 year old son who has had it since he was 4. Anyhoo I am not sure about ALL CG but here in Ga at Amicola Falls 3yrs ago I think they hit us up for fullmonty in our 78 WESTY as it is a camper eventhough we never hooked up the bus. However we did use the water and power with the tent etc. check out a web site called "thesamba.com" and you might find a westy there. I do love the old VDUBS mostly beetles up to 64, split window busses & single/double cabs PU to 67. WOW the memories you guys brought up about camping in the bus, now I will have to dig up pics.
Thanks for talking VW on here. side note when we sold the 78 it sold for 7K so be ready
Reguards
Brad

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Westfalia is (and was) always welcome...WELCOME HOME!!!

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravisMcGee wrote:

Almost thirty years ago I wandered all over the country in my VW camper. Back in those days, most state parks let me camp in tent camp sites. It saved quite a bit of money.

I'm wondering if that's still the policy today? (

At least here in the Northwest, anyone can camp in a so-called "tent site" so long as whatever they're driving fits in the designated parking spot.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

mtdew999

Backwoods, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in a minivan, always pay tent site price. Looking at syncros right now.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be OK so long as it is a site with a dedicated parking spot, and you fit.

Many of our state parks and COE recreation areas in the middle of the country have tent camping areas, off a nearby parking area, with grills and tables but no dedicated sites. These are the lowest cost, but I don't know that the host or ranger would let you camp out in the parking lot.

Otherwise, most of our public campgrounds make no real distinction between whether a dedicated site is for RVs or tents, they are used by both breeds of campers and the price is the same whether you pull in with a RV of some type, or a car or van, or put up a tent (or two), or just roll out your sleeping bag and sleep under the stars. A common limit on use of a site is maximum of two "units" whether that is tents, tent plus shelter, RV plus tent, RV plus shelter et al, or RV plus extra vehicle.

If I'm sleeping in my car, truck or minivan, I don't look at it as tent camping. But it there is a possibility that weather is going to make me move from the tent to the car, I usually pay for a dedicated site ($8) rather than set up in the tent area ($6). At the lake I visit most often, most tent campers do the same, sometimes take two adjacent sites for parties of three or four tents.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

CSG

ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used tent sites quite often in our old truck camper and, now, van. Never been a concern. As others have said, if you fit in the designated parking area, you're good.

2001 GMC EC 2500HD, 4x4, 6.0 V8
2007 Nash 27-5B 5th Wheel
2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse
2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LX470)

ecoast

NW NJ's Highlands

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a syncro; rebuilt the waterboxer twice, and should have done the subie swap.

I always take a tent site w/my truck camper...

07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Tent Camping In A VW Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS