Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Camping with 2-1/2 year old...worry about nights?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping with 2-1/2 year old...worry about nights?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/12 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll be camping for the first time with our 2-1/2 year old Grandson, and we are a bit worried about him getting up in the middle of the night, or having trouble getting to sleep in such a new environment.

He's normally a pretty good sleeper, but if we put him to bed on the galley booth bed, it would probably mean that we would have to head in to our room at the rear early too.
Or, we can put him to sleep in our bed (with the door closed) and then maybe move him to the galley later, when we're all going to sleep later on.

I know that we can close and lock the doors, but we (mostly DW) worry about him doing things in the middle of the night, if he wakes up....
At home, we've got a gate that keeps him in his room, so he can't get into the kitchen or other places that might pose a danger to him.....the MH will have things within reach.

What have you done? Any suggestions?
Maybe we're over-thinking this, but it's better to be a bit paranoid, that to regret something...right?

Any other suggestions for traveling with such a young child?
Thanks in advance.

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how to soften this, Pap-Pappy, so I'll just give it to you straight, one Grandparent to another:

YOU are probably going to have to sleep on the couch, while the little guy piles in with your wife! Unless of course you'd rather be the one that gets up with him if need be in the middle of the night, in which case Grandma gets to sleep uninterrupted on the couch.

This is the safest, most peaceful way we found to do it when our grandkids were small...but fortunately they do grow up- though much too fast, in my opinion!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

outdoorlovers

Anaheim Hills, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/12 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We put them to bed in the galley booth bed and retire to our bed. Has worked fine for us with no problems. Well, one problem - she's too excited to go sleep!

2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plenty of outdoor activities then some nice story time before bed. Fresh air and exercise usually help them sleep better.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

classicdude

Effingham, IL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/12 03:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We let our granddaughter sleep with us at that age. Yes, it was like trying to sleep in a blender but was well worth it. She is now 5 and sleeps on the dinette bed...at least for part of the night.

2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/12 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When our grandkids were very young we went to a camping store and bought store and bought nice camping pads that we put on the floor. That way they couldn't fall too far. Now our GS is 6 and he sleeps on a lounge chair that has the flip up foot rest and folds almost flat. Our GD now sleeps with Grandma on the bed and I sleep on the sofa near GS. They both have always gone right to sleep.

By the way we tried many sleeping arrangements before we found ones that work.

2006 Millennium Prevost
2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond
2009 HD Electra Glide CVO Screaming Eagle - mine
2009 Yamaha VStar950 - DW
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much floor space is there in your bedroom? Enough to make a pallet of blankets so the little one can sleep on the floor? Then you don't have to worry about breaking down the dinette, and hopefully any midnight escapades won't be possible without you being awoken by noise at the foot of the bed???

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, wear them out with activities. If they nap, make sure it's early and not too long. Have some "down" time before bedtime like a book or favorite movie. Take their pillow and blanket from home so it feels familiar.

I slept with the grandkids on the bed and grandpa slept on a blow up bed or the sofa. That way if they woke up I would know it. Also if they are potty trained, a trip to the potty during the night. I would worry about getting out the door or turning on the gas stove for a child that young. They are in to everying. Unless you can baby proof the RV, I would have one grandparent sleep with the child.
Enjoy!! My 18 year old grandson still loves to go RVing with grandma and grandpa!! His first trip was in a rented Class C when he was about a year old.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We put the little ones to bed on the master bed, don't forget to get a plastic or water protective sheet. Then when were are ready for bed we move the kids (twins) to the couch or dinnette. We do attempt to child-proof the RV when the grandkids are traveling with us. Everything is put away, cord out of reach, etc. If and when they awaken in the evening we hear them calling and act appropriately. You can pick up a bed-guard at ToysRUS or on line, it is a net type bar with a right angle to slide under the mattress or in an RV case, the dinnette pads. Keeps them from rolling out.

Good Luck and enjoy.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/12 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone....
With DW having recently had hip surgery, she may like sleeping on the sofa-bed better anyway...LOL!! We have a tall "Pillow-top" mattress on our bed, and it's tough to climb in there.

I like the idea of moving him once he falls asleep, and since we probably won't be doing this stuff, until he's at least 3 years old (February)...things will probably work out.

I know he'll sleep well after an energetic day, but it's the day driving in the RV that I think will have him bouncing off the walls. We're going to have to plan accordingly...and get to CGs early enough to spend some time at the playground!

Thanks again

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping with 2-1/2 year old...worry about nights?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS