Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: speed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW wants to know why most RV'ers don't understand and adjust their speed to that posted in a campground. We are getting ready for work (KOA) and the visitors driving in the campground like it is an open road with no speed limit. I stopped one speeder and I got the FU look and then he drove off. Please explain!

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because of the 'it's all about me' attitude. Unfortunately too many people, not just RVers, have it.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/12 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly, there are Entitled a**holes among us. You might consider carrying a sledge hammer, and walking close to one of them, and allowing the hammer to 'brush' against their car (a good, solid bang should ensue). Then be sure to hurl yourself on the ground and start screaming about how they just ran over you.

Seriously, years ago, when I was a college student, I was walking with the evening's date across a street at an intersection, and just as we crossed the centerline of the street, some clown roared up, blew through the stop sign, and came so close to hitting us that I brushed my knuckles on his rear fender. THAT brought him to a screeching halt half-way stuck out into traffic. He leapt from his car screaming about why had I just hit is car. My date and I let him scream until he wound down a bit, then I quietly pointed out that he had just blown through a stop sign, striking a pedestrian in the crosswalk, and did he want to call the cops? His mouth snapped shut with a "clomp" and he climbed back in and drove off. We noted at a somewhat subdued pace.

But you are not likely to have such a good outcome. Today's "entitled" class does not take correction well.

2oldman

Eastern MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find most RVers do. It's the day trippers and visitors who do not.

I see no need for CGs to post 5mph speed limit signs either. It's just common sense to slow the f** down in a CG (and a grocery store parking lot!))

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are numerous threads about why campers don't follow the rules. Not picking up after dogs, not leashing dogs, walking through others' sites, letting kids run wild, etc. Take your pick on reasons but realize it's something you'll have to deal with as a workamper.

Personally I think it's unfortunate that owners/managers won't get more serious about enforcing the rules. If more people were asked to leave the word might spread and problems would greatly decrease. Unfortunately, that might also affect profits for awhile so it's not likely to happen.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know there's trouble when a campground road is posted with a speed limit. Management shouldn't have to post things like that.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

TxTiger

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be careful when confronting because we live in an age where people will kill you just for your shoes. We had an incident in the Dallas recently where a road-rager shot into an suv, wounding the driver, then tried to whip his vehicle in a 180 degree to do more damage. Fortunately when he spun his vehicle it overturned and killed the rager.

2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
KZ 27TH Toy Hauler, 5,700 lb dry weight/8,000 lb GVW.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do get bright safety vests for all the bicyclists in your party, and enforce wearing them and helmets. The idiot car drivers we will always have, but most won't hit if they see you. Make it easy for them.

Jim, "Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pull them over and fine them $10 on the spot.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some years ago I read a short story in a Science Fiction magazine, This story was of a type that was published under a monthly feature called, as I recall Probability Zero. The story was funny, which is why I remember it.

The plot: Two researchers working on a Faster Than Light (FTL) engine are car pooling to/from work.

Now they are nice, law-abiding people but as they tool down the highway at the posted limit ZOOM>>>> Jerks fly by. Often giving them the finger cause they are going so slow.

Finally one of 'em gets a bright idea.. "IT seems that Americans think they have a "God Given Right" to speed.

So they go before congress, New speed limit signs are put up (Speed of light) and within 2 weeks, a practical FTL drive was invented by some good old by working under his shade tree.

Now I seriously shortened the story.

But the point of my telling is this: Many People feel that speed limits do not apply to them, They have a RIGHT TO SPEED.

Sadly,, This leads to parks putting in speed bumps.. And speed bumps do damage. Even if you hit 'em at like 1MPH they do damage.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS