Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Family Vacations and travel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Family Vacations and travel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
budswain1223

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have often wondered, after several long days of driving to a family vacation destination, why couldn't the time lost on the road be salvaged by a service that could, like a magic cartpet, transport your coach, and family to the destination? The cost, in my mind, would be offset by the extended time at your destination, without the angst of keeping in mind the journey back to home base. RVing, for many of us is a family experience, within the boundaries of time. Time away from our jobs, time before school holidays expire, and so forth.

Is there not a market for safe, timely travel to a regional location, where the RV experience in the family coach can be expanded in areas not normally reachable due to "road time". I believe there is, if only because I have often wished I could go to Yellowstone from the east coast over Easter break, Disney world over Xmass holidays, etc.
Anyone else feel that way?

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

budswain1223 wrote:

I have often wondered, after several long days of driving to a family vacation destination, why couldn't the time lost on the road be salvaged by a service that could, like a magic cartpet, transport your coach, and family to the destination?

Kind of like, "Beam me up, Scotty."...?

For us, the journey is a big part of the adventure. We have found that a good deal of our best memories have been what we encountered along the way, not necessarily what we found when we got there.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes flying is the only way to fly...
My RVing rule is that one has to spend at least as much time at the destination as it takes to get there and back.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

eubank

Angel Fire, NM, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not make the drive part of the fun of the vacation? Take local highways and enjoy what the country has to offer.

Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

lj2654

weeki wachee, florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats what I enjoy about an RV. The drive to the destination and all of the things you see, especially if you get on some of the back roads and even wonder if you are going the right way.

I love to visit State Parks mostly because of the quiet times that we have in the wilderness and all the animals we see.

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see this. I'd love to have *my* facilities at my destination, but I don't always have the time for the drive (even w/ my ability to telework- drive time is a challenge).

Heck, even for the "aging" folks. At our truck dealership, we were talking to the sales manager. He says he flies his father's RV down to Florida and back each year and flies his dad in.

I think this is done with boats from time to time.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

lj2654

weeki wachee, florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

flies the RV down...must be a good pilot!

Uppercrust

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/12 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love to travel as a family and find and see new things as we drive. Yes it does take away some time at our destination though and it would be nice to get there & enjoy it.

2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF campers mom, dad
18 yr. old son
20 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to make money during the season on the east coast by moving people's yachts to another location. I'm sure you could hire a driver
to move your coach for the price of fuel, airline tickets and a daily rate. But doing that both ways for any distance could get steep.

Or, if you don't have time to enjoy the traveling, arrange an RV rental and fly to it.

Yellowstone is often still closed in April, so make sure you can do what you want to do.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DRSMPS

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know exactly what you are talking about. This last summer I booked a week off work to head on vacation with the family. We have always wanted to visit the Georgian Bay region of Ontario. The trip up was full of construction and I blew a tire due to road debris. The whole time we were there I couldn't help but think of what the drive home would be like. I went home using an alternate route which was enjoyable but added approx 200 miles.

I love the RV vacations, but am learning to leave myself more time. I now look for less busy highways and try to avoid traveling on long weekends / holidays if possible. Next year we plan to be a bit less aggressive with our plans and relax at the destinations longer.

If there was a way to fly into the vacation destination and have my home set up for me it would be great. But then again, I'd probably worry about who was pulling it and how they set it up!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Family Vacations and travel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS