Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Cruise Control on Wet Pavement?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cruise Control on Wet Pavement?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, all

I'm on my Mother-in-law's chain E-mail list, and I always check out whatever she sends me before I take it as Gospel...

This one has me stumped- it sounds like it MIGHT make sense- yet none of the "facts" referred to in the E-mail check out anyplace...so naturally I'm asking you folks!

I'm interested in opinions of the main point, which I'll quote here:
Chain E-mail wrote:

A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Kinburn , Ontario was traveling between Kinburn & Ottawa. It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through the air.. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the OPP Officer what had happened he told her something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON . She thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain. But the Officer told her that if the cruise control is on when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane.

Is that for real? Should cruise control be avoided on wet/slick pavement?

Thanks!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

dmck413

Fluvanna Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

once you hydroplane the tires lose contact with the road surface. This loss of friction and speed will cause the cruise control to accelerate.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never used cruise control on wet pavement. Just didn't seem like a good idea.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Paythebill

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Officer is absolutely spot on.

Chevy 2010 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Vortex
2014 Heartland Wilderness 2175RB

aslakson

Fulltiming in the Lower 48

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same thing happened to me once. Don't use the cruise on wet, ice or snow.

al

Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 46 of the lower 48 so far.

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

Is that for real? Should cruise control be avoided on wet/slick pavement?

Thanks!

Yes, it should not be used on slick surfaces; wet or snowy roads. Of course common sense comes in to play (if the mass population still has any). A sprinkle and I will not kill the cruise. During a heavier rain I will shut it off (not just hit the cancel or tap the brake) just in case a finger accidentally brushes the resume button.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges in cubby hole, GDP 20/2 filters on frame rail, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even snopes.com agrees this one is true, although they do point out that the explanation of what occurs may a bit inaccurate.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Logically I would say do not use cruise control in adverse weather because it slows down your ability to react.

As far as speeding up, I'm not sure....the wheels break loose so there is less friction which means the RPMs at the wheel will go up and then quickly reduce as the cruise control trys to maintain the set speed. The wheels will turn slower so the car should slow down or stay at the set speed. I'm guessing the lady did what most people do when their car goes out of control. She slammed on the brakes which is the worst thing you can do in most traction loss type situations.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YES and the same for snow, etc

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using the cruise control does not MAKE your car hydroplane nor does it make it fly through the air! Nothing like an anecdotal, flawed chain e-mail. That being said, think about this:

If the wheels start spinning, and your foot is on the pedal, you will probably back off the throttle (the right thing to do) in a fraction of a second.

If the car starts spinning while on cruise control- your "oh crap" moment involves picking up your foot, and moving it to the brake and then applying the brake, (not really the best thing to do) or "fumbling" and reaching for the hand control.

In either case, the engine may be revving faster and faster, along with you taking a longer time to turn it off...bottom line, a somewhat longer time period until the throttle is released and the wheels can re-grab.

It's only an short difference in time, but if you are skidding, do you really want to delay your recovery- and give the car time to start going sideways or some other out of control direction?

That's why you should not use cruise when it's raining/snowing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cruise Control on Wet Pavement?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS