Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: How to simplify travels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to simplify travels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
PcolaCamper

Pensacola FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would love to hear ideas from all my fellow campers for ways to minimize physical exertion during set up, overnighting, and all things camping in general. My DH has a bad back and he is in pain, and we are both exhausted when we get back from a trip. We mostly go on weekends right now but planning longer trips soon. I was thinking about suggestions such as leaving the TT hitched up during overnight stays, don't extend awning, maybe we could forgo the stabilizer jacks for one nighters. We are planning a trip to Yellowstone this Spring/Summer, we need to be able to "go the distance". BTW, I'm retiring soon!! I'm so excited!

MTPockets1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We try to have as much electric as possible.... If your stabilizers are manual crank, use an electric drill instead. Electric is also avail for the tongue jack. Awnings too, and power cord reel. Use quick disconnects on water hose. Just go slow and enjoy. Can't recall the name, but there is a swing out boom for the dump line, or get an extension to reduce bending and reaching.

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/12 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electric stabilizers, don't unhooked for an overnight and sometimes it takes us 4 days to drive a 2 day trip. Stay a couple nights when traveling, what's your hurry.

Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trade the TT for a Class C or A with auto jacks.
Carry some water in the fresh tank and for overnights you only have to hook up the electric.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best thing we ever got was the electric tongue jack. Purchased it on ebay from Mantelli Sales for about $150. Wonderful thing.

We have a drill with a socket attached specifically for the stabilizers. It stays in the front storage compartment, plugged in. (We did have to run power there).

If we are only staying a couple of days and especially if the weather is supposed to be good, we don't extend the awning.

We have an outdoor kitchen that we only set up if we are going to be in one spot for several days (5+) - it's just too much of a hassle.

DH also has a bad back, so I usually do most of the outside setup and most of the inside setup is done at home before we leave. I put down the jacks, connect the power, water and cable. He usually handles the tongue jack and unhooking it from the truck.

If I have a problem, he will help me, but the same goes for me.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PcolaCamper wrote:

I would love to hear ideas from all my fellow campers for ways to minimize physical exertion during set up, overnighting, and all things camping in general. My DH has a bad back and he is in pain, and we are both exhausted when we get back from a trip. We mostly go on weekends right now but planning longer trips soon. I was thinking about suggestions such as leaving the TT hitched up during overnight stays, don't extend awning, maybe we could forgo the stabilizer jacks for one nighters. We are planning a trip to Yellowstone this Spring/Summer, we need to be able to "go the distance". BTW, I'm retiring soon!! I'm so excited!

When I had my TT I often ran into the same discomfort. And soon the trips where not being a lot of fun.

First of all 'absolutely' leave the TT attached when staying just for the night or even two. Simply ask for a 'pull thru site' at the CG you choose. EVERYONE does that!

I travel with dogs so the transferring of all of them from the truck and reversing the process became a 'real' pain.

Sorry I can't offer you more tips because between the hooking and unhooking, etc. and the many times having to be on all the time pulling a trailer in inclement weather that left me pretty exhausted also.

I sold the TT and bought a MH. I can't tell you that for 'me' how much MORE pleasant RV'ing is in a MH. Pull in, put it in park, and open a cold one, and sit and watch the others spend an hour setting up.

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming retirement!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/12 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Triker33 wrote:

Trade the TT for a Class C or A with auto jacks.
Carry some water in the fresh tank and for overnights you only have to hook up the electric.

X2. If the bad back is not going away you might as well get rid of the TT before it gets worse.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/12 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We try to get a pull through when possible for an overnight we pull a small toad behind and do not disconnect, only take key out of ignition and lock.

We only hook the electric cord, I am going to get the new yellow connectors that have a handle to pull the plug out at the pedestall.

We do not use the jacks if the rig is fairlly level if not I only lower the jack that is needed to level.

We also carry a full tank of water, it helps distribute the weight font to back, my C is rear end heavy.

We do not extend the awning, or any thing else for that matter, the less work the better.

My jacks are manual and I use a cordless drill to lower and raise them, then the jack handle.

My wife now is comfy with the rock and roll, me I sleep through a hurricane in a small ship.

navegator

PcolaCamper

Pensacola FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your replies. We already have the electric tongue jack and use a drill to lower the stabilizers. We plan to take it slow and enjoy the drive. As far as trading for a class C or A, that isn't an option for us due to finances, especially due to upcoming retirement, though I would love it. I had not heard about an extension for the dump line, may need to check on that. We decided on the TT so we can have the truck for everyday use. Don't plan to get rid of it soon, I think we can handle it awhile yet.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk to your doctor about getting a tens unit. It will not make things easier, but it will help relieve the back pain.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to simplify travels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS