Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Local Campground Sells Out In A Second
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Local Campground Sells Out In A Second

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How fast do your campgrounds sell out? We have one State Park here that is just 10 minutes east of the Hamptons. They have about 150 sites with 3 sections of about 50 sites. That means that on Friday one section of 50 is available for booking, the second section on Saturday and the third on Sunday. They allow bookings of up to 9 months in advance.

So that means that since today is November 25, you are booking a checkin date of August 25. You have to be EXTREMELY lucky to get a site because the sites sell out in literally a second. I have been trying to get a site for next summer since late September and it was only YESTERDAY that I finally got in. That's kind of crazy considering that the week I got is the last week of summer before school starts.

There's no electric, no sewer and only about 10 water spigots scattered around the park for 150 sites. Fires are not allowed. On the plus side, it's literally behind the dunes so you have easy beach access and the sites are rather large. I can't wait.

Do you have any CG's that sell out that quickly?

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes try getting into the state parks in the Florida Keys - better chance of hitting the lottery

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
183 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess a lot has changed in 60 years. When I lived in East Moriches it was all country on Long Island. You could go pitch a tent anyplace.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

Guess a lot has changed in 60 years. When I lived in East Moriches it was all country on Long Island. You could go pitch a tent anyplace.

You could say that. lol

I'm talking about Montauk. Very difficult to get into.

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in CT the sate parks that are on the beachs of LI sound,we have two, fill up 11 months in advance for any of the popular sites. One of them has over 500 sites and you cant not get in on a weekend during the summer months with out have made a reservation. You have to get on line 11 months to the day if you want to try and get a reservation on one of the better sites or a site you can fit a RV on.

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Here in CT the sate parks that are on the beachs of LI sound,we have two, fill up 11 months in advance for any of the popular sites. One of them has over 500 sites and you cant not get in on a weekend during the summer months with out have made a reservation. You have to get on line 11 months to the day if you want to try and get a reservation on one of the better sites or a site you can fit a RV on.

We have lots of state parks like that too...very hard to get in some of them... luckily most have some sites that you can't reserve ahead of time

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Mika, Keiko and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the 50s there was just a little asphalt parking lot at Montauk light house. My ex-wife worked for the guy that owned 3 corners of the town of East Moriches. Gas station on one corner, hardware and appliance store on one corner and the owners personal residence on the 3rd corner.

I worked at NMY at the time. Guess that is closed also.

Fishcamper

Orleans, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to guess that the original poster is referring to Hither Hills State Park. While the one second sell-out in this internet age is awsome, that's always been a very popular spot.

I remember arriving there without reservations 40 years ago on a Friday aternoon during a violent Nor'Easter predicted to last through the weekend. We were sure that those who had weekend reservations wouldn't show. After some pressure,the check-in Ranger agreed to put our names on a waiting list but with the caveat that "No one ever cancels." Then he added us to a list 1/2 page long of people like us who had already stopped by that morning looking for a site.

Sure enough, when we stopped by that evening and the next morning (no cell phones back then) the waiting list had not changed except to grow longer. Despite the howling wind and driving rain, all the folks with reservations showed up.

2011 Chev 3500 SRW 4X4 gasser - 1999 Lance 920

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a trick to reserving a camp site before it is reservable and in my area, it's the only way one can get the better spots.
I'm sure this same trick is used across the country.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of the challenges I hadn't counted on when buying our TT last Spring. Our first Summer was spent taking what we could get, and that always meant the spots noone would really want. Yes, we were camping, but it wasn't the "vision" I had in mind when spending all that money!

So, we have been scouting this year and marking maps. I've been on the internet this fall and winter and we already have most of next spring and summer filled up with primo sites. For one, Hunting Island, SC, we got our absolute top pick site, but it meant being on their notification list for cancellations. Something popped up and we had to rearrange our vacation days...but we got it!

Aspen Trail 15BH
2003 Chevy 1500 4.8l, 3.42 SOLD (but loved for 11 years)
2013 Ford F150 XLT, SCREW, 4x4, Ecoboost, Max Tow
Yamaha EF2400ishc

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Local Campground Sells Out In A Second
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: