Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: KOA changes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> KOA changes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KOA changes

I don't know how this will affect folks. KOA has announced that they will classify their CG by, Journey, Holiday, and Resort designations.
They will have different amenities, (and costs) to 'better serve' customers. The Journey CG are designed for people that will only stay one night, and on up the ladder. I think the biggest problem is the people that only want to stay for one night but the nearest KOA has been listed as a 'resort'. Will you have to pay $$$? I also wonder if the Journey, (overnight) CG will be a glorified WalMart parking lot?

Tango, AE7UI

Taylorsville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go Dogs,
I also wonder about the new fee schedule.
We stay at the KOA in Ely, NV and it is certainly not near any freeway so we wonder what the new "rating" will be.
It will be interesting to see the final version.
Bill

2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

Road Runners

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always fount that KOA was big bucks. We don't use them in our travels unless it is absolutely the only Campground on the route we are taking.

'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

trailertraveler

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most KOAs are privately owned. It does not really sound like KOA is planning on building a lot if any new campgrounds. However, they do have parks join and drop out of the system.

From the news release: "...About 15 to 20 percent of current KOA campgrounds will be designed (I think they meant designated) as Journey facilities...KOA Holiday campgrounds will comprise 75 to 80 percent of KOA's current franchises...It is estimated than 5 percent of current KOA campgrounds will fall into the stringent resort category..."

KOA franchises that set their own pricing based on the local market and their operating and overhead including the franchise fees which I think are a contributing factor to their generally higher price. These categories may help website users determine the general level of amenities available from the main search/reservation page without having to go to/read the individual park's pages. It may help avoid disappointed customers expecting all KOA's to provide the same services and amenities.

Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that would be a positive change. I don't like to pay for the pool, kids facilities, activities that we never use on an overnight stop - so tend to avoid KOAs due to their higher prices than comparable places nearby.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to a KOA that might (just barely) qualified as a "Journey" and it was still no kind of good value....
We'll just have to wait and see and keep our Walmart Camping Plan valid.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if the "changes" made them free, we might use them because there would probably be "add on" fees to the "free" charges.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's how any franchise works. If the KOA franchise owners didn't know what they were getting, they never should have signed on,

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will indeed be interesting to see what all this means. In our region there aren't enough KOAs close together to allow a traveler to decide what type they may want to stay at. Most of us try to plan ahead but there are the big "what ifs", like if you are on the road all day, need to stop and the only campground is one of the higher end ones, with no other campgrounds in sight...I dare say more folks may end up at Wal*Mart! I'd think it would be better if KOA based the rate on how long someone stayed whether all the fancy stuff was there or not.

I agree that most KOAs have more one or two nighters than they said therefore I can see lots of rate hikes coming.

We don't use KOA if we can help it. After chatting with a few of the franchaise owners...they are in a tough spot. KOA takes most of the fee leaving the owner/frachaisee with hardly enough to keep the place open. A hard job I'd not want to take on!

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sowego wrote:

We don't use KOA if we can help it. After chatting with a few of the franchaise owners...they are in a tough spot. KOA takes most of the fee leaving the owner/frachaisee with hardly enough to keep the place open. A hard job I'd not want to take on!

Bull... The CG owners know exactly what KOA will get when they sign on: 10% of the registration fees.

"Ongoing franchise fees include an 8 percent royalty, and a 2 percent advertising fee used for marketing programs which add to the recognition and success of KOA Kampgrounds. KOA franchise fees are based solely on site registration revenue. No fees are paid on store sales, propane, food service, etc."

Own a KOA

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> KOA changes
Search:   Advanced Search