Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: San Diego street parking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> San Diego street parking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/12 11:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

San Diego city is considering a two year pilot program of increased enforcement to ticket any vehicles over 22 feet or 7 foot tall without a permit parked overnight. RVs, trucks, and vehicles towing boats included. Current law allows 72 hours. This seems to be in response to complaints from residents near the popular areas for visitors. Four officers would be assigned to this duty. Right now it will only be in tourist areas but already some are talking about expanding it city wide. Has to pass city council yet, though.

Key thing about it is this: Right now they can only mark the vehicle and come back 72 hours later to write a ticket. This new law will allow the writing of a ticket immediately if no permit is displayed.

Permits may be "easily available" on line but this info is sketchy right now. And so is how they would work.

* This post was last edited 11/28/12 11:58pm by More To See *   View edit history

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/12 03:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like everyone else, they need more money.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/12 04:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

gbopp wrote:

NO!
Like everybody else they are tired of having their streets turned into campgrounds.

If that's the case, why are they going to issue permits and make them 'easily available'?

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/12 04:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

NO!
Like everybody else they are tired of having their streets turned into campgrounds.

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/12 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where I live, you cannot park a trailer overnight on a street. ...period. No permits or exceptions.
I was an elected member of our council and voted to enact the ordinance. We were having problems with guys parking their 18 wheelers on the streets, lawncare trailers, rvs, etc. It was getting out of hand and needed to be addressed.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/12 05:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nitrohorse wrote:

Where I live, you cannot park a trailer overnight on a street. ...period. No permits or exceptions.

Yes, your municipality had a problem and took action to correct it.
San Diego appears to be going to allow parking RV's on the street, you just need a permit, which I doubt will be issued for free.

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/12 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

San Diego appears to be going to allow parking RV's on the street, you just need a permit, which I doubt will be issued for free.

No, it would appear that San Diego already had an ordinance to address such an issue, but it was seldom, if ever, enforced. They're simply enforcing the laws. Unless you're camping in the street, 72 hours should be more than long enough to see what you've come to see.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

If that's the case, why are they going to issue permits and make them 'easily available'?

It will be easily available for locals on their own street, not for 'Walmart' campers looking for cheap rent.
Big difference.

daveshan

Durango Colrado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/12 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

gbopp wrote:

NO!

I think Fizz has hit it on the head. I left San Diego in February '06, went back to visit for the first time last year. I was appalled at how many old beater class A and C motorhomes were parked on the side streets, near the beaches and downtown.

It appeared to be almost a new class of homeless. I think the economy put many folks out of their homes and into older coaches to live instead of on the street with nothing.

'99 Alpine 36SDS/8.3 ISC 330 Cummins
Or
'05 Lance 845
'06 Super duty SC/SB 6.0
Upgrades include: StabilLoads, Air Bags & Timbrens,Swaybars

Usually towing an '01 Wrangler, lifted/locked on 35"s or a mildly built '98 Cherokee on 33"s (only one locker)

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one likes dealing with the homeless whether on a park bench or a RV.
I was watching u tube videos about the RVs in Venice and I can see their problems. RVs are becoming the quick answer to homelessness and in the videos, they are everywhere. Not only do they take up the parking for business and residences, some dump their tanks down the gutter, trash out the areas around them and the RVs themselves can look pretty bad. Some of the people in them are addicts, mentally ill, panhandlers and violent. Not all are like this but it doesn't take many and it sours the image of all that are using RVs in such a way.
The same is happening here but in the parking lots of the big box stores. We always see the usual compliment of rigs in the Walmart lot near us but some of those are there for a month. We saw one park model with no TV and all jacks down, at times there were lawn chairs out front. There has been 3 MHs near here in empty lots all summer. (no store built yet) We see the toads with them at night but they take them to work during the day. Luckily other than seeing the MH and toad, there is no evidence that they are there. No trash, BBQs, chairs etc to show they are there.
Eventually too many will use the lots or abuse them and we will see signs banning the overnight stops either by city ordinance or the stores themselves. This wont help out the homeless but rather just make them someones problem somewhere else. WE can't see them so there is no problem...right.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
490w solar with dual Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> San Diego street parking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: