Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: TST TPMS saved the day!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> TST TPMS saved the day!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
ddndoug

St Louis area

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After shredding a tire and having to find one in the middle of nowhere Arkansas. I decided to invest in a tire pressure monitoring system from TST.

Over the weekend we were driving through Dallas in a heavily congested (traffic) construction zone with no shoulders when the alarm on the monitor starts to go off. As I'm trying to keep my eye on the road (narrowed lanes) and figure out what's setting the alarm off, I notice that one of the tow-dolly tires has dropped to 21psi. Start slowing down even more, 19psi... find an exit amongst all the constuction barriers, 17 psi... still slowing down, turning on hazards, as I find an exit, 15 psi... no shoulders on the exit and 25mph, 13psi... traffic backed up, 20 mph, and 11psi... finally pulled into a parking lot entrance @ 7psi.

After looking at the tire for a nail, screw, etc. I found the valve stem to be leaking. After doing some research on the smart phones we found a 24 hr tire place about 25 miles from where we were. Dropped the car, loaded the tire and off we went. Once we arrived at the tire place, 5 minutes and $8 later we were finished.

I type all of this to let you know that had it not been for the TPMS we probably would have destroyed the tire and who knows what else (think tow dolly fenders and lights), costing us a whole lot more money. And yes, even though the system was a big chunk initially, the piece of mind it has given me after the first blow out has been priceless.

Just wanted to share.

Doug

1996 Allegro 31M
F53 Ford chassis w/ 460 cid

TRIPLE8

Crestline

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/12 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I am glad it worked for you. Definitly on my never ending list of upgrades..

06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
'08 stellar 32' fith wheel triple axle conversion- Lance's pad when Melissa's mad
02 yzf 426
05 yzf 450
04 yz 125 (sons)
06 hon 90 (daughter)
06 hon 300 (wife)
87 zuzuki samurai locked

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The peace of mind alone is worth every penny of the cost. I will never tow again without one.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's a "big chunk" (as in money)? Did you pay more than $300 for the TPMS?

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our trip out west our tire monitor picked up hot bearings and saved us too. Not sorry I spent the money at all.

D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

stripit

Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the system needs to do is work just once and your ahead of the game, and TST worked just like it should. Glad you were able to find the tire problem and get back on the trip without serious damage.

Stacey Frank
'04 Mobile Suites 36 TK3 #1341
'99 Int'l 4700 Lo Pro MDT
'08 Lexus 400H

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/12 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, glad you were able to get stopped before more significant damage was done!

Was wondering, though: Is it possible the leaky valve stem was actually CAUSED by your TST sensor, making this an issue that never would have happened in the first place if you didn't have the TST system?

...Don't mean to take the 'shine' off how the system saved you, but wanted to bring this up, because:

1. I have heard of some TPMS systems causing valve stems to leak.
2. In all my years of driving....I have never YET had a leaky tire valve cause this kind of problem. Had my share of slow leaks due to picking up nails and other things on the road (which is where a TPMS will definitely save your tail), and had a few blowouts in my days. But, have NEVER had a valve stem cause a problem.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

belfert

Shoreview, MN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/12 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure that adding the monitors to the valve stems didn't cause the leak? Did you upgrade the stems to metal stems? Very common issue when adding a TPMS.

I just added a Pressure Pro system to my RV and it alerted me twice on the trip. I got two holes in trailer tire sidewalls from debris.

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Wow, glad you were able to get stopped before more significant damage was done!

Was wondering, though: Is it possible the leaky valve stem was actually CAUSED by your TST sensor, making this an issue that never would have happened in the first place if you didn't have the TST system?

...Don't mean to take the 'shine' off how the system saved you, but wanted to bring this up, because:

1. I have heard of some TPMS systems causing valve stems to leak.
2. In all my years of driving....I have never YET had a leaky tire valve cause this kind of problem. Had my share of slow leaks due to picking up nails and other things on the road (which is where a TPMS will definitely save your tail), and had a few blowouts in my days. But, have NEVER had a valve stem cause a problem.

In my opinion it would be foolish to spend money on a TPMS and not get metal valve stems. Happy to hear it saved your day. As for the cost, my Tiretraker unit was $225 for monitor and 4 sensors. Extra sensors are $35 a piece and the unit will read up to 22 of them. Also the batteries are changeable for a buck or so each. My original batteries are coming up on 2 years and still going strong.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Bull Rider

Washington, The State

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/12 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have the TST system, worth every penny. What caused the valve stem to leak? Was if from the sensors?

We've had one major blowout (instant) since we added our system, and the alarm sounded within a second of us hearing the sound of the tire failing.

If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> TST TPMS saved the day!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS