Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Rust free car: AZ or TX or no difference?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rust free car: AZ or TX or no difference?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am on the lookout for a specific older car to tow, and here in the midwest we have the salt/rust thing which complicates finding an older car.

We plan to head southwest later this winter. We were going to tour TX and not get to AZ. But I'm thinking this would be a great chance to look for a rust free specimen. Which state offers better selection, etc., or is it a toss up? Thanks.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

BuckBarker

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arizona definately! If it is good enough for the military to store thousands of old airplanes, it is the best place to find rust-free autos. West Texas would be right behind New Mexico.

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think AZ. Much dryer. And even in TX, there is some risk of being close to the Gulf and salt water.

However, pay attention to the condition of the interior. Heat and sun blazing through the windows can kill the dash, door panels and seats. Leather and vinyl cracks and fabric fades.

JMHO

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have lived in Michigan all my life and have owned 49 cars over the years, not counting MHs. The difference in how they last is great. We sold an 11 year old Dodge Grand Caravan a year ago and there was only a little bit of rust on the vehicle. Back in the 70s I had a Electra 225 and within 18 months the hood and trunk lid had begun to rust. You can also look at an older Saturn because the plastic body doesn't rust.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out West you may not have the rust problem, but flat crankshafts, sand damaged paint. Sun damaged interiors, rubber degeneration are very real problems.

301TBS

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flat crankshafts? Can you explain that for me?

2012 Crossroads Z1 271B
2009 F150 4x4,4.6,3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would want to carefully investigate the car's history. Just because the car is in, let's say, Arizona today, does not mean the car spent it's entire life in Arizona. I have a 1970 Chevelle, 396SS that came from Missouri; I live in Pennsylvania.

Another point: I have absolutely no knowledge regarding towing older vehicles; flat tow versus dolly towing. You should consider this issue before you buy the vehicle.

There several websites for researching older classic and antique vehicles. I found mine on ebay.

Wishing you the best.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anywhere on the west coast you can find great rust free cars. Waaayyyy up here in OreGone we don't use salt either. We do get rain, but unless the car is a known leaker rust is not an issue until the cars hit about 25 years old. And then it is only some vehicles, like older Hondas that came over on the ships deck. Southern California is probably your best source for old cars though. Seems like lots of collectors there keep vehicles for ever.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone brought up a good point. You don't need to go way south or south west to find rust free cars. If you just go far enough where they don't salt the roads the cars will be rust free. And those are the areas where the sun damage (Paint, Interior, window seals, etc.) might not be as severe as in TX, AZ.

Think MO, AK, TN, southern IN, etc.

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be very, very careful in buying a used car for the next few months. I am afraid there is going to be a large number of Hurricane Sandy cars make it to the market that shouldn't. They will not just be selling them on the East coast but across the nation. A CarFax report is going to be a must.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rust free car: AZ or TX or no difference?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS