Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: hawaii
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/12 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking to take my wife to Hawaii for our 30th next year. We've been to Maui & Kauai. Considering Oahu or the Big Island.I've heard Oahu is a tourist trap - big city. Other than Pearl Harbor,what else is there to see? Are there nice area's outside of Waikiki to stay?

Would the big island be a better pick? I understand it's more laid back. I apologize for posting hear as it's not RV related. Just hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Craig A

Tampa Bay Area, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a cruise. My wife and I caught a repositioning cruise in April of 2010 and had a 12 day cruise with 6 different ports. Total cost was about $5000 including flight from Tampa to San Diego. Had a blast.

Beautiful wife of 33 years
26 year old son and DIL
Female Yellow Labrador Retriever Puppy
10 year old Amazon Parrot
2002 F250 4 door, 8 foot bed, 7.3 PSD with Hypertech software, timbrens, 3.73 rear axle
2006 Montana Mountaineer 344RET

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/12 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the Big Island, Maui and Oahu of the three we liked Oahu the least. If you get out of Honolulu there are some places to go and things to see. We would go back to the Big Island it was the most laid back with the most to see and do.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Craig A wrote:

Take a cruise. My wife and I caught a repositioning cruise in April of 2010 and had a 12 day cruise with 6 different ports. Total cost was about $5000 including flight from Tampa to San Diego. Had a blast.

Not into cruising, but thanks for the suggestion. We can do a 9 day with hotel,flight & car for just under $4000 to the islands.

nevadanick

Elko, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep the info coming. We are gonna go in a month or so and so far are staying a couple nights at Waikiki and then Maui for a few nights. I have never been so Oahu has to be as iwant to go to Pearl Harbor. Sorry about tagging onto your post but i like lots of info about stuff that interests me.

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/12 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the island of Hawaii (Big Island) is less crowded and is very scenic. The west side, the Kona coast is resorts, etc. The east side, around Hilo, is slow and leisurely, with the big draw being Volcanoes Nat'l. Park. Most people enjoy the Kona coast as it is what you picture when you think of Hawaii. Golf, water sports, tennis, luaus, souvenier shops and other tourist traps, etc. it is all there. However, their beaches are not as big or nice as Kauai or Maui.

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed on Oahu at Disney's Aulani Resort....it was great and 17 miles north of Honolulu and definitly less crowded. Nice golf course across the street. We drove up to the North Shore. We also took a seaplane ride over the island which was a blast.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

are there any RV parks on any of the Hawaiian islands? any RVs to rent?

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Dave-Sparky

Woodinville, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent 18 months while I was in the service on Oahu on the windward side (Kialua, Kaneohe, etc.

The windward side is much more laid back. Toward the north shore on windward is the Polynesian Cultural Center and was a must see both then and when I went back with my wife 15 years ago.

The Arizona Memorial is a must see, at least once.

I also found that there are lots of things to do away from the "tourist" centers if you look for them.

Spent a little time on the big island 40+ years ago, I am sure that it is different now, but was very laid back then.

When my wife and I went for our 25th, we took a 7 day cruise around the islands and then spent a couple of extra days on Oahu to see the sites mentioned above. It was nice to only have to unpack twice for the whole trip, but get to see and visit 6 islands.

Dave

Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2002 GMC Safari AWD

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

are there any RV parks on any of the Hawaiian islands? any RVs to rent?

Yes, little RV camper vans can be rented and state parks have sites. There was a good article in MotorHome magazine during the past year all about it. You can probably do a search on their website and pull it up.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS