Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: CW Seneca Purchase Issue, what now
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CW Seneca Purchase Issue, what now

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
texan21

Montgomery

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,

I need some advice!

Just bought a 2013 Seneca RV 2 days before Thanksgiving. We test drove the unit on Saturday before Thanksgiving and loved the RV but during the drive my wife and I (in the driver and passenger seats respectively) noticed a loud, low frequency, vibration/ noise similar to the venturi type effect of lowering a rear window in a 4 door car. A punishing low sound that occurs around 35 mph and up to 55 mph.
We went into negotiations on purchase but I insisted that the issue would need looked at before I filled out a credit app etc. On monday pre-thanksgiving, we got into further negotiations on the pricing and were told by sales that they had a tech drive the unit and it was supposedly a carrier bearing or U-joint (which from prior experience on my trucks I felt it could be this). Our goal was to buy and then take the rv on our thanksgiving trip. We were told that Jayco and CW said that it would be okay to purchase, take delivery, and then go ahead on with our trip and then return the unit to CW or directly to Freightliner (which CW had spoken to already about the problem and had supposedly made an appointment for that tuesday with CW to bring it in). Reluctantly we went in and took delivery, completed paperwork and walk through (upon wich some minor issues were noticed also, but nothing major). We then, having been told that the issue was minor and a 2 day repair at freightliner, took the unit on a 800 mile trip.

The next tuesday my wife and I ran the RV up to Freightliner (FL) in Bryan texas and left it with the tech, after I test rode the RV and showed and let the tech at FL listen to it.

After a week, and after notifying CW service managers, we were advised by FL that they couldn't identify the issue and that it was supposedly the transmission which necessitates it going to Allison for the tranny work.

I called CW and they said for us to take it in. On the next tuesday I drove down to CW and let 2 techs ride with me and they both heard and felt the issues.

On thursday I called and they were still trying to get the RV to FL. On Friday I finally (I make all the inbound calls and they usually call me back late in the day) got word that the FL dealer has it in shop.

Monday this week I am informed that FL still can't determine the issue. Today I am told that the unit is now going to another department in FL service and that it isn't the tires or the suspension.

Here's the rub now. I feel that CW basically lied (stong word) in saying that this was a minor issue and that when we returned from our initial trip this would be repaired and we'd be on our way.

Now, having been in the shop for a total of 14+ days and me spending 2 work days, gas in the RV and a Suburban to "chase" me to the dealer and back for a ride, and then renting a car one way (the second time I couldn't get a ride from my wife and had to get a rental to get home 65 miles away) I'm still paying a payment on a RV that still has a driving issue.

I've been in contact with 2 service techs, the sales manager, and the salesman. These guys have been courteous and do actually (most of the time) call me back so I can't really complain there, but being nice doesn't solve the issue of me buying a $160k RV on a promise that the mechanical issue, that everyone acknowledged was there prior to me taking delivery, would be fixed and was no big deal.

In a perfect world I would like to be refunded on this unit and given a replacement RV of the same model at the same sales price. In fairness, the amount of time spent and expenses of bringing it in would be comparable to the 800 or so miles we put on it via our trip. I am not looking to get out of the deal, I really want the RV!!

The other complaint I would have is having "techs" driving my rig around (I'm sure with kid gloves....) and putting miles on it (probably around 250 miles just for service trips).

Also, I have (had) a trip planned for next week to go to Indiana (from Houston). Given the undiagnosed situation it doesn't appear that we will get to take our trip in the RV (and can't make any plans).

I don't know where to go from here. I haven't raised heck about it with anyone or cursed anyone out etc. I'm a reasonable guy to work with but there is a point where the dealership needs to fess up and make this their problem and not mine. I don't want to make this a lemon law thing or get any kind of attorney's involved because the atty's are the only ones that get anything out of the issue.

Should I ask for a meeting with the general manager at this point?

I have a log of every call and I log text messages and have the file of service write ups. I also put in a call to Jayco and to the corporate office of CW today and I'm waiting on these call backs.

Macktee

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one post I would have the moderator,put it over to the Camping World forum. I am sure you would get immediate help. Macktee

04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2011 Dodge Journey
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure sounds like you have done everything right by the book. I would ask to see the top man now. You have been jacked around enough.

texan21

Montgomery

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/12 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do i get them to move it? Should i repost in the other section?

RedG

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not trying to beat on you, but this should be a lesson to you. You should not have taken possession of the RV until after they fixed the problem. In vehicles nowadays, especially diesel engines/drive trains, a little noise can be a $5 noise or a $15,000 noise.
Now that you're where you are, all you can do is let them do what they have to do to fix it. And it seems they are.

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you may be jumping the gun here to me. 2 weeks andyou are getting upset already. From what you have stated they are trying to find and resolve the problem and from personal experience those vibrations can be very hard to track down at times. No one there has denighed the problem. Give them time.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs-28years
We love 56 T-Birds

Kevin J

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have to agree with the other replies that as long as they are trying to find the cause of the noise, you should be patient. The techs told you up front that it was a "minor" problem, but they had no way of knowing that. It sounds like that is what you wanted to hear. Hopefully, they will get it resolved soon. I hope you get it corrected and enjoy your new MH for a long time.

2000 Rexhall Aerbus F53 Ford Chassis V10 Triton
2005 Chevy Colorado Toad

texan21

Montgomery

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like I said, they are working on it but I'm stuck in the middle now. I'd prefer to not be part of the back and forth. I also don't want to wait until there is no solution or if there is a major re-work like a new drive line etc. That's not what i bought.

texan21

Montgomery

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think I'm jumping the gun. I was told it was minor but apparently it's major. It was my fault that the did the deal against my gut but an honest business would realize a mistake was made and offer to take ownership of the issue and leave the customer out of the equation.

This would be like selling someone a fridge and seeing a scratch on it with the customer, then saying I could fix the scratch in a day, and then not being able to fix the scratch while it sits at my showroom having already been paid.

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texan21 wrote:

How do i get them to move it? Should i repost in the other section?

Click the "Notify Moderator" tab in your original post.

Bob

02 Chevy, 2500HD/4x4, 6.0L/4:10, GVWR 9,200lbs., GCWR 16,000lbs.
05 Jayco Eagle, 278FBS, GVWR 9,000lbs.
TV/TT loaded: 14,700lbs.
Loaded Tongue Weight: 1,250lbs.
Loaded TT weight: 8,400
Putnam XDR Class V, Reese HP Dual Cam.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CW Seneca Purchase Issue, what now
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues