Woodalls Open Roads Forum: What has been the biggest advance in the RV industry?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What has been the biggest advance in the RV industry?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been thinking about the subject a lot lately. Recreational Vehicles (RVs) have certainly grown in popularity over the last 30 years, but you have to wonder if technology or advances in the industry have triggered or encouraged that growth. The toy hauler, the slide-out, solar power, ultra-quiet generators, light weight composites and fiberglass construction, as well as wireless, portable satellite dishes, and low amperage rooftop air conditioners, have all had an impact on the industry. What do you think is the most important advance to hit the industry in the last 30 years? I've got my opinion, but I'm curious what yours is.

I'd love to your thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately, RV.NET doesn't have a poll feature, so I've posted one on my blog. Here's the link: POLL

2011 Wolf Creek 850N/Polar Cub/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Morningstar Sunsaver PWM CC
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Hellwig Big Wig Rear SB/Torklift Talon Tiedowns w/Fastguns
2011 Jeep Compass w/4x4 Package
US Navy Ret.
My Truck Camper Adventures

Yosemite Dan

Home is where we Park it

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it's the slide, now a RV can be a home and not a sub.

We Don't Watch Life, We Live It!
Daniel & Khrystyl Best with our Lhasa Apsos, Gossimer & Ferb
BLM Interpretive Park Rangers NAI CIG
2012 Open Range 38' 391RES with built-in patio
1999 Ford F-350 4x4 Dually with a modified 7.3L

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Dan wrote:

I believe it's the slide, now a RV can be a home and not a sub.

I think your answer will be at the top or near it, that's for sure. I think solar power has been huge, too, as well as the toy hauler. Difficult choice on the number one innovation.

MichDoc

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slide out.......hands down. Now you can get one that's small enough to maneuver around the gas pumps and narrow streets, yet opens up to spend a season or longer in. Don't know anyone with solar panels, but everyone I know that RV's has slide outs on their rig.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One advance I have noticed, but not agreed with, is the power requirements. The industry has included all the conveniences of home, which has made it a requirement to have (or need) a generator while dry camping. I miss the good old days of quiet campgrounds.

Many advances have made living in the RV all year a nifty alternative, until it is found out that the construction quality was meant for vacations and not full time wear and tear including trying to stay warm and not freeze the pipes during the winter. IMHO

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

prairie camper

West St.Paul, MB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's got to be tires, just go over to "open roads forum - fifth wheels - need tire help" its 32 pages long, i can't believe it(sarcasm)!!

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The single-most would have the be the slide-out. It applies to motorhomes and trailers, and probably 90% of all participants appreciate a slideout or two, or more.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The base advantage that drove these developments was Easy Credit in my view.

korbe makes a great point. The all electric MH has to be tied to the grid, have massive solar input or run the generator.

Last night I was telling another father about our cross country MH trip last year and a shorter one by SUV this year. He asked what I though would be best for him to get an RV or do it by SUV.

He as one in college, one about to start to college (girls) and a son in middle school and good income. I said by SUV hands down unless he wanted to take the dogs but he said that was optional. The daughters are basically out of the picture and the son will be in a few years.

The advancements are real but they have added to the cost of ownership in taxes, insurance and depreciation in an era of declining incomes for first time buyers. Just means testing to get SS would be a game changer paying for the advancements in the RV world for some.

Slides I agree might be the number one advancement making the 20-30' RV/MH coming standard more functional.

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mello Mike wrote:

...What do you think is the most important advance to hit the industry in the last 30 years...

You said industry but I think you are really referring to the product.

I would say the most important advance for the industry is the ability to continually separate the buyer from their money for a very poorly made product.

The most important advance for the product probably is the slide out.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

prairie camper

West St.Paul, MB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An apology to everyone on this thread, I just read forum conduct by one of the moderators, and my earlier post with sarcasm, I will keep to myself in the future! I have to say I do like the ones with humor in them. stop laughing and you might as well stop living.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What has been the biggest advance in the RV industry?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS