Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Advice on Costco or Sam's Club?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Advice on Costco or Sam's Club?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I may be one of the few who doesn't belong to one of the big wholesale clubs. So want to get some feedback on the major ones such as Costco or Sams Club.

Does any one have an advantage over the others? Also, how do you rate their overall customer service? And do any have a trial membership period?

BTW, the two closest to me are Costco and BJs, both within 5 miles. I did sign up for BJs 60 day trial, but that doesn't look like it's going to work out. Just purchased a new camera package from BJs, so I thought, but when I went to pick it up at customer service, they didn't have it. You would think their computer systems would know before selling something?

Worst yet, I paid by credit using an ATM debit card, which BJs customer service says takes 7-10 days to refund to my bank account. So no camera, nor the bank funds used to buy it, at least not in time for Christmas.

In any case, definitely want to hear some first hand experiences with either Costco or Sams Club?

* This post was edited 12/18/12 03:58pm by 1492 *

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had Sam's Club, got fed up with their poor customer service and never knowing if they were going to close the store and walk away, which they finally did, here. Have a Costco business membership and I am more satisfied with all aspects of the club. The 2 stores closest to us(5mi & 9mi) are always busy and crowded, so they are building a new store just 1 mile away. I have seen areas where Sam's and Costco were directly across the street from each other and the customer service in Sam's still left a lot to be desired.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/12 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do both...but only have the credit card with Costco....regular membership with Sam's. Costco is ALWAYS more crowded, but seem to have the better quantity and prices (for the most part) and the most stores. Those stores with gas, you can almost always drive right up to the pump at a Sam's Club, but with Costco, you'll have to wait in line sometimes six or seven deep. Normally their gas prices are the same.

We do have the Executive membership with Costco which provides us with an American Express Card and in any given year, will redeem two to three hundred bucks that can be spent back at Costco....however, the card does cost 100 per year. Nevertheless, it always pays for itself. The regular card at Sam's, I believe, is about 50 bucks but no kickback. If you buy into their credit card (Discover) it will probably be as good a return as Costco's Amex card.

We could do without the Sam's club membership, but for the 50 bucks a year, it's worth it to be able to go to the store and not have to fight everyone in every aisle and gas lines.

Hope this helps

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

jwmII

out west

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam's customer service is definitely poorer than at costco. The guy at the entry of the local Sam's practically does a frisking when you are going in and has no personality. Hello is not in his vocabulary.
The Costco we usually go to is much friendlier plus they have better quality stuff for the most part and the store is better layed out. Costco just does a better job all around.

jwmII

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/12 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've tried both. One was about the same as the other. Just 2 of us here. About the only things we bought with any consistency was toilet paper and paper towels. Always had to wait in a long line at the checkout..Quantities on most other stuff were too large. No longer have either one.

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Costco isn't an option, none around here.

I was a member of BJ's in past but didn't use it much.

Currently member of Sam's and it is growing on me. We joined in order to buy two Champion generators and the membership paid for itself. The generators were on clearance and there was only three left in the state. Customer service arranged for them to be held at a store that had two. We drove 50 miles the next day to the other store and the generators were there waiting for us. We weren't even members at the time. We were very pleased with how customer service took care of us and this was a week before Christmas. We have recently renewed our membership for another year.

We bought batteries previously at Sam's and simply paid an extra 10% because of not being members at the time. They will sell to nonmembers at 10% over the marked price.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

usmohls2@yahoo.com

CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam' club is own by walmart.

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

I was a member of BJ's in past but didn't use it much.

Always got a kick out of their name.

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

We bought batteries previously at Sam's and simply paid an extra 10% because of not being members at the time. They will sell to nonmembers at 10% over the marked price.

Does Costco do something similar at their brick and mortar stores? I have made online purchases at Costco.com, paying the extra non-member 10% fee. But that was still cheaper than anyone else online.

jasult

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lanerd wrote:

We do both...but only have the credit card with Costco....regular membership with Sam's. Costco is ALWAYS more crowded, but seem to have the better quantity and prices (for the most part) and the most stores. Those stores with gas, you can almost always drive right up to the pump at a Sam's Club, but with Costco, you'll have to wait in line sometimes six or seven deep. Normally their gas prices are the same.

We do have the Executive membership with Costco which provides us with an American Express Card and in any given year, will redeem two to three hundred bucks that can be spent back at Costco....however, the card does cost 100 per year. Nevertheless, it always pays for itself. The regular card at Sam's, I believe, is about 50 bucks but no kickback. If you buy into their credit card (Discover) it will probably be as good a return as Costco's Amex card.

We could do without the Sam's club membership, but for the 50 bucks a year, it's worth it to be able to go to the store and not have to fight everyone in every aisle and gas lines.

Hope this helps

Ron

Same exact thing with us. We use both and kinda like Costco more but keep both.

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues