Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Educate me about generators
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Educate me about generators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
SuzzeeeQ2012

Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok, we use ours to charge our battery. We have to charge a bit MORE during the day as I have apnea and my CPAP runs on an inverter he installed. We might run our Honda 2000 a couple of hours a day while we're watching tv at night, or a short time while cooking dinner. A generator would be needed for lights, furnace, and charging electronics. What else? Why would someone need to run a generator from 6:30 am most of the day till 11 pm. They come out of their fiver and turn it off to walk around, then turn it right back on when they go in. TV? is that what it's running? I'm gonna put in my iPod earphones while I sit by the fire lol

jrobert01

tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we all go about our own life and let others do the same and understand that no matter how we use our gen or how little it probably wont be the right time for someone else and be just as annoying and we all have reasons why.

mikhen

oley, pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:

ok, we use ours to charge our battery. We have to charge a bit MORE during the day as I have apnea and my CPAP runs on an inverter he installed. We might run our Honda 2000 a couple of hours a day while we're watching tv at night, or a short time while cooking dinner. A generator would be needed for lights, furnace, and charging electronics. What else? Why would someone need to run a generator from 6:30 am most of the day till 11 pm. They come out of their fiver and turn it off to walk around, then turn it right back on when they go in. TV? is that what it's running? I'm gonna put in my iPod earphones while I sit by the fire lol

Actually, the furnace is probably a 12 volt furnace, so no genny needed. The light are also 12 volt.
Maybe a weak battery?
Perhaps the battery disconnect switch is off and the think they have no power without the genny?
Air conditioning would need a genny.

2005 Sunseeker 3100 QBS
camping Pa...The most FREE camping giveaways in Pa

SuzzeeeQ2012

Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/12 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:

Why would someone need to run a generator from 6:30 am most of the day till 11 pm. They come out of their fiver and turn it off to walk around, then turn it right back on when they go in.
Many people have no idea what runs on battery and what runs on generator. So, in that case, the generator runs all the time so it's just like 'home.'

Could also be they watch a lot of TV and either don't have an inverter, or don't know how to use it. So, they're either totally unprepared or just clueless.

daveshan

Durango Colrado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a buddy that runs his Honda most of the time he's in camp. Bigfoot TC with 2 batteries, both on their last legs. It's cheaper to run the genny' than to buy 2 new batteries for the few times per year they use the camper.

Some folks have different priorities and/or free cash. I've also run into people who have no idea (as mentioned above) what runs on 12v and what doesn't, and other folks who just don't understand that a generator may bother other campers.

Bottom line is there is no understanding why anyone would do that short of asking each individual person, just too many reasons out there.

I'll grant that I find it annoying after a few hours, the last individual I ran into like that seemed to feel it was necessary to watch TV or something 'till 11:00 at night just across the creek from me. With all the short tempered people out there I tend to just live with it or move if possible.

'99 Alpine 36SDS/8.3 ISC 330 Cummins
Or
'05 Lance 845
'06 Super duty SC/SB 6.0
Upgrades include: StabilLoads, Air Bags & Timbrens,Swaybars

Usually towing an '01 Wrangler, lifted/locked on 35"s or a mildly built '98 Cherokee on 33"s (only one locker)

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/12 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people do run a generator all day so the kiddies can watch television, I've witnessed it happen.

Many people are neophytes and don't know about inverters and battery systems. They want to go camping and have everything work just like at home.

One of the things I find fun about camping is figuring out how to be comfortable with less. Of course if it is hot I will be running the generator to power the cooling system.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad someone has found a place they can run their generator at night.. Everywhere I go its 8AM-10AM and then again from 4:30PM-7:30PM here on the east side of the US. Some forest places will allow generators from 8AM to 8PM. I have never found a public place to run a generator after dark.

If you have doctors slip some places will let you run your generator all you need to or maybe they have a special wired up site for you to use from a 120VAC pedestal.

I'm sure the must be places where you can run your generator 24/7 but I haven't found any... Maybe at a NASCAR site...

I have my trailer system beefed up to run all my needs on the battery bank. I only need to run my generator around three hours a day to re-charge my batteries so I usually run it for two hours in the morning and then three hours in the early evening. Then everything runs off the batteries after that...

This wasn't free however - I had to plan rather good to get to this point...

Roy Ken

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like your C-PAP is setup fine but just for your information most all C-PAP machines run on 12v. The brick on the power cord converts 120v household current to 12v DC. cpap.com has cords for most all C-PAP machines that have a 12v power plug (Cigarette lighter) to run the machine directly on 12v eliminating the need for a inverter.

I mounted a power plug socket on my side of the bed frame and found a always hot 12v source under the bed to power it. That eliminates the power loss through the inverter.

Jim

* This post was edited 12/24/12 10:56am by jauguston *

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

SuzzeeeQ2012

Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I simply wanted to know what things ran on a generator. Thank you to those who answered that. Maybe I should have said it like that in the 1st place.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Educate me about generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS