Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Are you a 2nd generation RVer? What was your parent's rig?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are you a 2nd generation RVer? What was your parent's rig?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
pullin2

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/13 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After visiting my parents over Christmas, we were reminiscing about all the good times we had camping as a family. I'm repeating those memories with my family, and it got me wondering how many of us are 2nd or 3rd generation campers? If you camped with your parents, what type of rig did they have?

I'm intentionally using "camp" instead of limiting this to RVs. Many of us probably tent camped with our folks (please include those stories as well).

Me? I can actually claim to be a third generation camper. My grandparents learned to camp in the 30's in a Model-A (they were headed to the west coast with a bunch of other Okies... Something about lots of dust. I'm sure you heard about it. )

Anyway to sum up,
Grandparents: Tent camping in a Model-A. As a boy, my dad actually camped via horseback with his little brother. Lots more open land back then.
My Parents: Sears Tent camper, then a Franklin* travel trailer. Both were pulled by a 1970 Olds Delta 88 (anyone remember the Rocket 455 in those cars?)
Me: Pickup truck pulling a Prowler 5th wheel. My kids have camped since they were babies.

I'd love to hear from those who've grown up camping, and the comparison between your parent's camping equipment and yours today.

Hopefully this will bring fond memories of those times.

*Am I remembering that right? Was there company called "Franklin"?

Randall, June & kids (& dog)
2011 Dodge quadcab, pulling a...
2003 25' Prowler 5th

lgarcia

West Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/13 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a kid, we went camping in a 1966 Bethany pop up. Just for sleeping and storing stuff inside as there was no inside kitchen or bathroom. Rarely did we set up the dinette as we had a screen room outside where we ate. My mom still has it. I remember the snaps on the canvas as that was my job. We went to Assateague, Skyline Drive, Berkeley Springs, and other places near the Maryland suburbs. Pulled with a Chrysler Newport.

While I first looked at pop-ups when buying last year, I decided to go hard sided trailer, mostly for DH's comfort, and decided on a self contained 14ft. TT

Laura, Rodney, and Elfie the Schnoodle
2012 Dutchmen 814RB; 2011 Dodge 1500 Hemi; 2012 Sun Dolphin Sportsman; 2003 Tracker Targa V-18

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/13 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can remember camping with my Grandparents in their MH, my parents in their trailer... in fact I meet my wife on a camping trip

May be why we own an RV

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

sd1209

Elko, Nv

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3rd generation..

Grandpa had a cabover on his 53 Ford p/u that he built...Used it for deer hunting, etc.....

Mom/Dad had a 73 Revcon that they loved..Was a good rig and ahead of its time I think.....

Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv
2014 Newmar Dutch Star
2010 Jeep Wrangler

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/13 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still the first generation. My parents didn't do any of that stuff, no money for RV's only food and the clothes on our backs. in fact we, my brothers and I didn't have fishing gear until our BIL sent us fishing poles from Japan when he was in the Navy. you might say that was the start of our day trip outings

ata3001

Niagara Falls, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/13 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second generation. My parents last camper was a 1972 22 ft Holiday Traveler. They sold it in 1978 after moving to the other side of the country. Now dads been gone 20 yrs & Mom, 10yrs.

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second generation. My parents had a fifth wheel but I don't remember what make.

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis
2002 Honda CR-V toad
Roadmaster Sterling A/T towbar
VIP braking system
Eddyline Merlin kayak

mdamerell

Fort Wayne

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/13 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My folks bought a pop up camper in 1966 to take my brother and I camping. Pretty much a 8' x 10' box with wheels. You took off the cover. Pulled out the 2 beds and the tent popped up. Just a blank floor with a bed on each end. I was 4 and my brother was 2. In 1968 my baby brother "the surprise" arrived. The family joke was I arrived in 62, my brother in 64, got trailer in 66 and the last one arrived in 68. We did things on even years. Mostly we camped in the state campgrounds in up state NY near where we lived. I vaguely remember a trip up through Nova Scotia one year, but mostly the trips in the Catskills. Through scouts we did the tents and canoeing trips.

Dad had made a box of compartments along the wall opposite the door so we each had a square wash tub in our cubby to keep our clothes in for the weekend and there was a big box we would pull out and put on the end of the picnic table which opened up to make mom's camp kitchen. Kinda like the back of a chuck wagon. I remember carrying water back to camp and sitting around the fire at night. Seems a dado blade and a sheet of plywood was dad's solution for many issues in the camper.

Those memories are what prompted us to buy our camper now. To give the grandchild which lives with us some of those memories. She may be denied part of the experience since I'm no longer willing to sleep in a tent on the ground or do without my heat, A/C and the midnight walk to a latrine.

Also due to some health issues, traveling by RV is just a better option for us.

2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1976 18' Shasta single axle with two overhead bunks, propane lights, toilet/no shower, and manual pump (could be pressurized with air) water system. Pulled with 1970 Dodge Station Wagon. Spent a week at Smith Mountain Lake on uncles property every year as well as used during showing Quarter Horses on the AQHA show circuit

Now I support my daughter & wife showing American Saddlebreds on that show circuit with a 34' bunkhouse FW.

wkswenson

USA - MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Third Generation - Grandparents started camping in tents around 1958 and when Travel Trailers were more common they always had a Holiday Rambler Travel Trailer and crossed the country several times and Mass to FL more times than I can remember.

Started camping in 1967 with a Tent and Buick Stationwagon...

Then the parents purchased a new 1971 VW Bus and we upgraded to a colman popup (not sure of the model)... But we made a competition of putting it up/down and had the whole process down to about 15 minutes... (4 kids at the time, later 6)

Sometime in the mid '70s we upgrade to a "real" travel trailer - had a 15' Adco Travel Trailer.. and we even had a bathroom then! The Bus was pretty much worn out by this time and they purchased a 76 Plymouth Voyager(this was a full size van with 318 V8 - not today's mini).

Around '79 they "upgraded" to a 23' Taurus Travel trailer that even had enough room for all of us to sleep inside... Cross Country we went in this combo (Taurus/Voyager) several times - Travel was great.

After the van was warn out they upgraded to a Chevy Caprice Wagon with the 454 in it... Power was no longer an issue.

About this time (1983ish) a company named Citation introduced a new concept... The Tilt out room - Parents bought one of the first production units that had this tilt out room. They had this for many years and later upgraded to a Trialaire (or some spelling)...

So many memories of places like wall drug store (Jackalopes), the Bad Lands, Yellowstone, Dinasour National Park, Lincoln, IL, etc...

The wife's parents spent MANY years camping in the same 1969 Franklin Travel Trailer - we later used it just after we got married for a couple of years - what a heavy beast!

Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2002 F350 Crew Cab, DRW, 7.3L, Curt Q24K
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are you a 2nd generation RVer? What was your parent's rig?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS