Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Fireplace - Yes or No?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fireplace - Yes or No?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My retired parents currently have a hybrid but they want to upgrade. They were possibly looking for a TT that had the large rear window and two swivel chairs. Probably 90% of their camping is at the beach so you'll have a waterview.

Anyway, they were looking at the Jayco White Hawk line and the only model with the chairs in the back has a walk through bathroom to get to the bedroom. They don't like that.

Now they're looking into a different White Hawk TT that has 2 chairs in the side rear of the camper and a couch across from the chairs. The back of the TT can either have a fireplace with a TV mounted above it or the large picture window with the TV on a cabinet. Here's the floorplan.

So is a fireplace worth it or should they look into the large window? They camp from mid April-Halloween on Long Island. There may be some sub 40 degree nights and days but more often then not this camper would be used in warmer temps.

Just looking for opinions on this. Thanks!

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at that floorplan, I would think it would be uncomfortable to watch TV from the chairs and the viewing angle (90 degrees) seems like it would not be optimum for a clear picture.

I like a straight on view of the television or as close as possible.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Looking at that floorplan, I would think it would be uncomfortable to watch TV from the chairs and the viewing angle (90 degrees) seems like it would not be optimum for a clear picture.

I like a straight on view of the television or as close as possible.

The TV does swivel left and right though.

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given the floorplan, I doubt they're losing any window space to the fireplace. On my camper, it's an option and the only thing it replaces are some cabinets. I'd guess the same is true for your parents.

That said, the people who have fireplaces seem to like them - even if just for ambiance (you can turn off the heater portion and just have a crackling fire).

I went with no fireplace (even with camping in cooler weather) - we use space heaters + the furnace.

It's a personal preference, I'd bet.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a "fireplace" in an RV is stupid. I've gone through RV's with this feature at RV shows and for the life of me can't figure out the necessity of it. I'm sure some will disagree with me about it, but having a nice rear window view would be much higher on my priority list. You can always have a real fire outdoors at the campsite. Tell them to go for the view, it can often times be priceless.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2001 25' Cardinal LXDS
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parrothead Mike wrote:

I think a "fireplace" in an RV is stupid. I've gone through RV's with this feature at RV shows and for the life of me can't figure out the necessity of it. I'm sure some will disagree with me about it, but having a nice rear window view would be much higher on my priority list. You can always have a real fire outdoors at the campsite. Tell them to go for the view, it can often times be priceless.

Well, if it's cooler out then you can turn on the electric fireplace to get some heat instead of using your propane.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow...tough choice. If the majority of their camping is with the back of the rig to the water, I'd opt for the view. We've been to a few sites with a great view and drive our rig in so the front windshield faces the view. But for those times when you camp in cooler climes, the fireplace can add a nice homey and warm touch. But I wouldn't opt for one over a nice view. But they may not have to.

Are they only looking at Jayco for a particular reason? That floorplan doesn't do much for me as I would prefer a more direct view of the TV. And is the kitchen usable when the slide is in? It looks like the refrigerator/micro/stove might be blocked by the island. That would be a deal-breaker for me if they wanted to stop en-route and use the RV.

I did see at least one RV at our local RV show last year which had a window, fireplace AND a TV which lowered behind the fireplace when not in use on the back wall of the rig. I don't have a clue as to who made it or even whether it was a 5th wheel or TT. In my opinion, though, I think that would be the ideal combination. ON EDIT: I did find this one from Forest River 831RESS. The TV lowers behind the fireplace. I have no idea how this compares with the Jayco line they're looking at, but there have to be others. They may just be able to have their cake and eat it too!

~Rick

* This post was edited 01/09/13 03:20pm by Rick Jay *

2005 Georgie Boy 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22 (Class A)
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (18-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (13), 2 boys (14 & 11).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

ferretgrandpa

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vote for the Fireplace. Ours takes care of all heating when the temps go down to freezing (32). At Freezing I do use the furnace to keep trailer from have any froze water problems.
TV / Window, you're on your own.

98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed an electric fireplace in our 5th wheel and we use it mostly for ambiance. We do use the heat function to keep the chill out instead of the RV furnace. Early in the morning or at night while watching the TV is when the fireplace feels nearly real.

Originally my vote would be for the window and use a small space heater to keep the chill out.

However, when you get right down to it, once you've been in a spot for a while how often do you look outside. I find that after a half of a day in a spot I'm not looking outside like when we first get there. The TV with fireplace would be the top choice.

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/13 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I didn't mean to be to harsh with the "stupid" comment. Here's another option: Download a fireplace screen saver or video for your computer.

http://www.fireplacevideoshd.com/

Or maybe a fireplace DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/FIREPLACE-CLASSIC-........1357769837&sr=8-2&keywords=fireplace+dvd

I know they don't give out heat, but a $20-$30 space heater can do that AND you can still keep the rear window view.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fireplace - Yes or No?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS