Woodalls Open Roads Forum: owning a DP motorhome not all it's cracked up to be
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> owning a DP motorhome not all it's cracked up to be

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
MonkeyCowboy

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/13 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

It's simply a very expensive way of "traveling in style". I love the overall quality of the ride. I love driving my rig. I special ordered it, and spent more than I could afford(eventhough I paid cash for it). So, I'm stuck with having to do all the maintenance and repairs, right here in my back yard.
I would NOT go back to a gas unit, even if I could afford it....
I owned 5 of them. Oddly enough, it was very exciting, every single time I bought one. This DP is the first "keeper" motorhome I've ever bought.
and the Grand Kids love the Air Horn

2002 Dutch Star 3852
2011 HHR
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
Blue Ox Patriot Brake System

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First trip over a high pass in the west was enough to convince me that we made the right decision getting a DP. She is steady as can be going up and the exhaust brake means she walks down like a lady. And the air bag ride is so enjoyable, not to mention having the engine behind us inside of sitting between us.

RedHotBolt, I do hope that you put a review of the company up on rvservicereviews.com. No way should your unit be left like that. Did you go in and complain? That is inexcusable.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Traveling catpanion Shadow (age 17)
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS)
Mischief
(2004 Subaru Forester Toad)
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CT_WANDERER wrote:

I know I will get flamed for this, but I can only see the advantage of a Diesel engine if you are driving every day putting on lots of miles. The long life of the engine means nothing if the MH body does not last as long as the engine. And, if you spent a lot of time camping you are not driving so you don't get the benifit of the diesel. With the cost of diesel repair parts compare to a gas. For almost the cost of the OP spent on his repair you could buy a gas engine. I will stick wit Yes I am a gas owner. But this is JMHO.

You said nothing that requires flaming, but are missing a few points of a diesel powered MOHO. It has more to do than just the longevity of the engine. First, it has the power to move 40+ ft and 32,000+ lbs effortlessly down the road and up the hills, which you will not typically find with a gasser. Add the fact that most DP's are quieter, have air suspension and you now have a more comfortable and better handling ride than what most gassers with leaf springs typically provide. As you pointed out these are considerations for traveling and many (including myself) do not travel all that much each year. However, because of the engine power you can start with a heavier and larger rig that can easily support numerous slides. This provides more living accomodations when "camping" (I always have a difficult time considering the RV lifestyle camping) and the accomodations often include features found in your home (ie: ceramic tile floors and backsplashes, larger refers, basement freezers, additional toilets, multiple A/C's, etc), all of which add to the "camping" pleasure.

Granted maintenance cost are higher, but if that was the only criterion than none of us would own houses and we all would be driving cars with no A/C, power windows, radios or better yet we would only have bicycles. Many of us do our own maintenance and I'm willing to bet that my annual cost is less that of many with a gasser who utilize a repair facility. In the event I have a major driveline failure on the road then I am at the mercy of a repair facility, but I consider that a small risk and worth taking for the comfort of the larger rig.

After all my gibberish here the point I am attempting to make is simply the argument that a DP MOHO is only worth it if you drive XXX miles per year is not 100% accurate because there are many other factors to consider beyond the drivetrain.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme

* This post was last edited 01/15/13 01:20pm by sailor_lou *   View edit history

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you're missing an important point in your assumption. If you want top of the line accommodations, like hardwood cabinets, ceramic tile, AquaHot, 40+ feet of living space, etc., etc., your options are limited to a DP. We do not put a lot of miles on, since I'm still working, but we are in the coach for 7+ months per year. Our choice is to have a higher end, but older rig, which gave us the accommodations we wanted, but at a reasonable purchase cost. There was no other drivetrain choice for us.

Now though, when I retire in 6-7 years, we will have a coach that we love that we can start putting the miles on.

CT_WANDERER wrote:

I know I will get flamed for this, but I can only see the advantage of a Diesel engine if you are driving every day putting on lots of miles. The long life of the engine means nothing if the MH body does not last as long as the engine. And, if you spent a lot of time camping you are not driving so you don't get the benifit of the diesel. With the cost of diesel repair parts compare to a gas. For almost the cost of the OP spent on his repair you could buy a gas engine. I will stick wit Yes I am a gas owner. But this is JMHO.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

bagman

L.K.M.

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We met a lot of wonderful people over the years traveling in our two motor homes and that alone made it all worthwhile! Next week we embark on a two week trip to Florida and we have plans to meet with three separate RV couples that currently own class A motor homes and although we no longer own one, they are still very good friends and that will make our little vacation that much better! Bags. ..On another note, I still read up on all the new motor homes coming out and all the new floor plans. Therefore, the interest is still there!

Trying To Survive In The L.K.M.

BigRabbitMan

Cottage Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/13 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

06Fargo wrote:

Did anyone ever build a spark plug engine pusher?
Yes, I have been driving one for the last 12 years. See signature. There were 1050 FMC coaches built between 1973 and 1976. All of them were powered by a Chrysler 440-I. A number of them have been converted to small diesels (mine is currently being converted a Duramax 6.6LTD). Most are still running the stock 440 as parts and service are readily avilable and that engine in my coach would pull 6% grades at 45mph which is fast emough for most people. 7-8mpg which is typical for pre fuel injected engines.

Before the FMC, there was the UltaVan which was powered by a 110hp Corvair engine and power train. There have been a few other gas powered, rear engined coaches during the '70's and '80's. Like any other rear engined, rear radiator unit, keeping the radiator clean is the key to having a cool running unit. Front or side radiators do not require the same level of radiator attention needed.

Regardless if it uses gas or diesel, I absolutely love the rear engine. The UFO Workhorse framed recent units with the GM 8.1 have owners that sing the praises of rear engines.

Personally, I will only own a rear engined unit regardless of fuel type. I am spoiled! I also like the small size (29ft) of my coach. I have small and manuverable and rear engine - just the way I like it.

BigRabbitMan & DiamondGal
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher becoming a Diesel Pusher
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."
DataStorm Satellite internet / I am here-click to see

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You all got to quit trying to scare me with this stuff.
Our 05 has 32000 I think.
One thing for sure the injectors have clean engine oil driving them.

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stuplich wrote:

We are all at the mercy of often unscrupulous repair shops...

"Unscrupulous" repair shops is not the problem. The real real roblem is inept technicians. Your example proves my point.

RFCN2

MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

redhotbolt - When it gets hot in TX in the summer consider going up to Oregon where your coach was built. I have found several places in the Eugene area that provide good service at fair prices.

As far as diesel vs gas. Both are valid setups and you just have to drive a few of each, look at your budget, and pick your flavor. I have owned one of each and liked both of them.

We have a Cat C12 in our rig. It is a great motor. My one observation I will pass on in this post is that higher end rigs have more complications than simple ones. More complications means more opportunity for things to go wrong.

RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

RedHotBolt

Georgetown, Tx.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/13 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RFCN2 wrote:

redhotbolt - When it gets hot in TX in the summer consider going up to Oregon where your coach was built. I have found several places in the Eugene area that provide good service at fair prices.

As far as diesel vs gas. Both are valid setups and you just have to drive a few of each, look at your budget, and pick your flavor. I have owned one of each and liked both of them.

We have a Cat C12 in our rig. It is a great motor. My one observation I will pass on in this post is that higher end rigs have more complications than simple ones. More complications means more opportunity for things to go wrong.

You are correct. The more they cost the more to go wrong. I really love Oregon (except I think you may have more tree huggers than we do in Austin and I did not think that was possible outside of Cal.). We took a trip to Oregon in Oct. ten years ago. Flew into Portland then to the Timberline lodge, along the coast to Cannon Beach, down to Tillamook and loved every minute of it. Took a Whale watching ride in a 1947 Stinson Reliant Gullwing at the Tillamook airport with the largest wooden hanger in the world (for Blimps) http://www.tillamookair.com/html/bldg.html and ate the best fresh apples I ever had. I would love to take the RV to Oregan but I'm still working so Southwestern Colorado (Ouray and Telluride) are as far as we can go for now. I'm 55 so maybe in another 5 to 7 years.
JJ

2005 Beaver Santiam
2003 Ford Lightning (third one) I love these trucks
2010 Jeep Commander
65 Piper
PA-28-235

2002 CMC Mustang (NASA Racer)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> owning a DP motorhome not all it's cracked up to be