Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Tire shred
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tire shred

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
calewjohnson

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/13 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welll, it happened to me a couple days ago. Driving up I-95, just south of the VA state line... There was a shudder and a violent vibration. Pulled over and did a walk around, my right rear trailer tire had no tread, still inflated though. I took some pictures, drove to the next exit and changed the tire. There is cross member damage, wheel well damage, and inside floor damage. Filed with Progressive, they are taking the tire and talking to the tire company...they said that these failures are increasing in numbers. My tire was a 205 75R 14, MAXXIS. I am anal about my 50psi and I very rarely go beyond 65mph. This happened in the early morning and cruise was on 60.

I am looking at some Loadstar tires, same size, but loadrange D. Any thoughts? The boat pulling guys seem to bee happy with them.... I took the tire off the rim expecting to see a max psi stamped on the I side, only see a Made in the USA, rim size, and the date. Any idea where I shod look next? If I go up to loadrange D, I will need to inflate to 65....

Thanks,
Cale

TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/13 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, you should take your RV, a toyhauler I believe, to the scales and weigh it loaded like you use it. That may surprise you and change your tire shopping direction!

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/13 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You answered your own question. Rarely over 65 even once is enough to start the problem

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/13 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had Good year Marathon and they blowout the side wall. Our dealer said he did'nt even sell them anymore, said to buy Michelin LTs with a D load rating from Costco, he also recommended anti sway bar on the rear axle, will take the load off the tires by cutting down the ammount it moves sideways. He's a good guy and I take him other work.

calewjohnson

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/13 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

You answered your own question. Rarely over 65 even once is enough to start the problem

Ummm...not helpful. I did not answer my question. Read it again. Going 70 is fine for the tires, 65 is not the edge of the cliff, there is an engineering safety factor figured in...

First part of post was general info, second part is question. Try again Bud.

Cale

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/13 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW/Asked him about the speed and he said a properly inflated tire was built for Road speeds meaning 70 or 75 even, however, All ST tires are built for 65 or under, thats why he said Michelins.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/13 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May not be a MAX PSI on rim...might only be a MAX Load

If not stamped inside on the valley then should be stamped on side of rim.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/13 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire Read up on it. Pressure Max is required to be stamped on the side of a tire so it's on the other 3.

calewjohnson

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/13 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Passin Thru wrote:

BTW/Asked him about the speed and he said a properly inflated tire was built for Road speeds meaning 70 or 75 even, however, All ST tires are built for 65 or under, thats why he said Michelins.

2 reasons not to go over 65...1st, the tire, 2nd...my mpg goes down the toilet. I have found that GPS 63mpg gives me 12.8mpg (pulling 7000lbs).

My TH has minimal clearance in the wheel wells. Anything more than a 14inch and I will be banging the wheel wells.

Cale

calewjohnson

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/13 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Passin Thru wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire Read up on it. Pressure Max is required to be stamped on the side of a tire so it's on the other 3.

I know the max psi for the tires, it is the rim.... I don't want my rim to come apart...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tire shred
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS