Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Why do RV shows (and others) charge admission?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why do RV shows (and others) charge admission?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next
Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/13 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I went to a gun show this weekend at the fairgrounds expo building and they charged us $7 admission. Next week is the winter RV show and they are charging $5. The boat show is coming up and that has an admission fee too?

It seems to me that the cost for running the shows should be placed on the businesses presenting in the show. When I worked for myself I had to pay $500 - $1000 for a booth at shows and they still charged admission.

Is there a legitimate reason for charging admission or is it simply the businesses trying to pass some of the cost of running the show onto the attendees?

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW. 7.4L, Auto, 1985 Lance 900, 2001 Real-Lite 10.5', 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Legitimate 'business' reason for charging admission is to pass some of the cost of running the show onto the attendees.......

I don't mind paying admission to an event. It does cost a lot to hold those events and if majority are like me......don't buy much if anything......more of a cheap way to spend an afternoon just being a 'lookie loo'

What really chaps my behind is having to pay for parking & admission for an event.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 03:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somebody's gotta pay for the space. The building's already charging RV dealers for those costs. If the dealer groups can get the public to defray part of the costs, that's what they're going to do, because they're not going to sell enough RVs on the spot to make up for the space rent. Maybe not ever. Lots of lookers are just curious. But if any of us are serious buyers, we have the chance to see several different models at the same time.
I went to one before I bought my 'C'. I didn't buy at the show, but I knew what I wanted and what I didn't want after the show.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from ATC

dbs944

Virginia Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe to keep some of the rif-raf out.

If you are really interested, you don't mind paying a small fee (and there are usually discount tickets available).

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having worked at McCormick Place in Chicago.
People have no idea all what goes on and needs to go on behind a show at a venue.

There are electricians that have to be there by law, security, maintenance, ER, fire marshals, loading and unloading dock staff, etc, not to mention the electric and water costs that are used, etc. etc.

If the venue were to charge the vendors 100% of what it all cost to run a show.....NO vendors would be there!

There would be no way a vendor would ever be able to afford the cost of a booth/space if it was not supplemented by admission fees and parking fees. It would be cost prohibitive to a vendor.

Buck up and pay the admin and parking fees. Where else can you see manufacture's/sellers of that many companies of any item at a show all in one place?

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because they can. If their attendance numbers dropped off, the fee would drop or go away.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of us just go to the show to just browse or take a look at the new and current stuff. Most have no intention of buying a unit.
The promoters cannot afford to put on a free show for the window shoppers.
Those of us that enjoy just browsing should consider the fee the price for an afternoon of entertainment.
If you actually buy a rig ask the selling dealer to credit you the admission fees as part of your deal.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Rocky Mountain Sports Show was this past weekend. $7 admission.
The Montana Agri-Trade Exposition is next month (the MATE show) $7 admission.
I imagine some vendors who were at the Sports show had free tickets available at their stores, but I seldom patronize the places who were there (RV dealers, boat dealers, ATV dealers, hunting guides, sporting goods stores, etc.)
Free tickets for the MATE show are available from MANY businesses in the area; farm stores, restaurants, hardware stores, feed stores, etc. I picked up free tickets at the restaurant where we have our monthly radio club meeting/breakfast.

I don't think "the rif-raf" go to these types of shows.
Then again, some would say I are one of them...

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:

Is there a legitimate reason for charging admission or is it simply the businesses trying to pass some of the cost of running the show onto the attendees?

There is a legitimate reason for charging admission and it is simply the businesses trying to pass some of the cost of running the show onto the attendees.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why do RV shows (and others) charge admission?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS