Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Cross-country tent camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Cross-country tent camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Veronica

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 15 year old son and I are planning a cross country trip this summer. We have a popup, but I don't trust my tow vehicle for a trip like this (98 Suburban with a junkyard motor after my stepson blew it up last year). So, we'll be taking my small car which is much better on gas. We will be alternating between motel rooms and campgrounds during the trip both to save money and to really experience some of the areas where we'll be staying.

Any helpful hints for this kind of trip? I know if we're just staying overnight we'll only unpack the bare minimum of stuff. I have a decent tent that I expect would make the trip fine. It's not state of the art, but has good ventilation, is big enough for the two of us, and is easy enough to set up and take down.

I'll be checking out some free/cheap campgrounds, but if anyone has any suggestions, shoot them our way. We'll be leaving Virginia, heading the southerly route towards the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, then up the coast of California to see Yosemite. Hopefully we'll hit Yellowstone on the way back and take a more northernly route home. Still mapping things out. I hope to visit some friends and relatives along the way.

'98 Suburban
'97 Flagstaff Cobra Classic 623

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine L’Engle

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if you are familiar with the US Campgrounds website. But, it offers a wealth of info on government parks and I find it very useful.

RVn Full-time

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Las Vegas can be very hot in the summer in a tent. That might be a good place for a hotel.
Also try: www.recreation.gov for low cost and free campgrounds.

another site: www.allstays.com and click on Campgrounds and RV Parks at the top, then search by state and city.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those places can get very busy in the summer.
Will be trip that you'll both remember for a lifetime.

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

Veronica

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lucky for me, I grew up in Las Vegas and we'll be staying with friends (in air-conditioned comfort) while there.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look for camping in state parks, at least through Tennessee and Arkansas. State Parks with campgrounds are reasonably plentiful along I-40 in western Tennessee, and again from Little Rock into eastern Oklahoma.

When you get past the point in eastern Oklahoma, where the highway separates from the Arkansas valley, the parks are some distance off I-40, following the river towards Tulsa and along the flood control reservoirs for tributaries like the Illinois (e.g. Tenkiller Ferry Lake). I think some of these parks are worth the side trip for an overnight stay, depends on how much of a hurry for you.

Into central Oklahoma, you will find a big state park (Lake Thunderbird) near Norman, and west of Oklahoma City, Red Rock Canyon is near the highway.

I don't remember much along the road through the Texas Panhandle, but in eastern New Mexico I can recommend Santa Rosa Lake State Park.

To find out more about the state parks, check the park system websites for Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico. Most will be happy to mail you a brochure describing the parks and facilities.

From Knoxville to Flagstaff along Interstate 40 there are at least 100 campgrounds within 10 miles of the highway, counting Corps of Engineers recreation sites, state parks, commercial campgrounds and RV parks. However, a lot of the RV parks do not permit tent camping, but all KOAs will.

Since you will be equipped for camping, if it gets too hot for tenting you might check into renting cabins at the campgrounds, sometimes less expensive than cheap motel rooms, certainly less expensive than the Holiday Inn/Hampton Inn class of room. KOAs will have cabins with air conditioning, some state parks will have them (but often larger and more expensive), and some other RV parks may have cabins or rental trailers.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Cross-country tent camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS