Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Transporting Gas in bed of truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Transporting Gas in bed of truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/13 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I am starting my trip planning early and discovered a potential issue with fuel stops.

My 2006 Chevy Silverado has a 24 to 26 gallon gas tank. When traveling to Myrtle Beach from Washington PA I have the fuel stops pretty well planned. This coming summer however we will be traveling late at night. Last year traveling late the gas stations I normally use were closed and I just made it to a station sucking fumes.

I was thinking about putting a 6 gallon boat gas tank in the bed of my truck. These cans are low and flat and can be easily secured. I tow a 5th wheel. With one or two of these cans I could easily make it to Beckley WV at the major rest and fuel stop.

I was wondering if anyone else has done anything like this and what to watch out for. The cans I found are rated D.O.T. for transporting gas.

I have to admit I'm a little nervous hauling gas but I'm also worried about running out of gas in the middle of the night.

Thanks for your help

2006 2500HD Chevy 6.0 Gas Ext Cab Short Bed
2004 Flagstaff 8528BHSS 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, One married daughter and one soon to be married daughter plus four dogs

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/13 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Transflo used to make gasoline tanks for the bed of the truck but you will need deep, deep pockets to be able to afford to have it done....That is why I have not done it to my truck...I quit driving at night because of being able to find gas at night...

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see that it any differant than taking 5 gal home for the lawn mower. In the bed of the truck any fumes will be carried away.

2005 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/13 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocamprs wrote:

I don't see that it any differant than taking 5 gal home for the lawn mower. In the bed of the truck any fumes will be carried away.

The reason I like the boat cans is that they are flat and cannot tip over. They can easily be secured. They are also D.O.T. rated for transporting fuel. I saw an Attwood 12 gallon that would be perfect. Two of those and I have a full tank of gas.

6.7 tow rig

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do this for my diesel all the time. Seems I can never find diesel when I need it and am always afraid of running out. I bought two five gallon cans at Walmart and fill them up for long road trips. If they arent used by the time I get home I pour them in leave them empty for next time. never had an issue, or spill. Only thing I can see about gas is if its hot outside and in the sun the tanks like to expand and have to be able to vent.

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins H.O 4x4 3.73 rear end
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/13 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Vaughn wrote:

Transflo used to make gasoline tanks for the bed of the truck but you will need deep, deep pockets to be able to afford to have it done....That is why I have not done it to my truck...I quit driving at night because of being able to find gas at night...

I looked into this originally and discovered that these auxiliary tanks are for diesel fuel only. I even called the manufacture and was told Diesel only no gas.

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/13 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6.7 tow rig wrote:

I do this for my diesel all the time. Seems I can never find diesel when I need it and am always afraid of running out. I bought two five gallon cans at Walmart and fill them up for long road trips. If they arent used by the time I get home I pour them in leave them empty for next time. never had an issue, or spill. Only thing I can see about gas is if its hot outside and in the sun the tanks like to expand and have to be able to vent.

Thats the other thing I liked about the boat tanks is that they are self venting

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/13 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dpgllg wrote:

Bob Vaughn wrote:

I looked into this originally and discovered that these auxiliary tanks are for diesel fuel only. I even called the manufacture and was told Diesel only no gas.

They may have quit making the gasoline ones because I was talking to them many years ago and with the shipping and finding an installer it became cost prohibitive....

blangen

South Dakota... and everywhere.

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the original question but auxiliary gasoline tanks do exist. Here's one example...

Gasoline tanks

When I looked into this early on, I found that they can be plumbed so that they feed directly into the truck tank. Yes, they're pricey but not carrying gas cans to dump into your tank in the middle of the night has an attractive ring to it.

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry 2 5gal. yellow diesel containers in the bed of the PU when going to Colorado. Strap them to the front corner.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2011 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Transporting Gas in bed of truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS