Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Small 2-4 Person Boat?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Small 2-4 Person Boat?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/13 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd love to take some kind of small boat with me when I go camping. I take many trips to a local CG that is located on a barrier island that is only a few hundred feet wide. You walk two minutes south from your site and your in the ocean. Walk two minutes north and you're in the bay. It's a great spot.

Anyway, I see a lot of people taking kayaks, inflatable rafts and other small vessels out in the bay. I'd love to do this but I have no experience.

For what it's worth, the video clip below is a clip I found of someone launching kayaks from where I'd like to launch. I'd like something that can fit at least two people, but can be maneuverable both on and off water by only one person. Any suggestions? The water is usually like it is in the video.

Here's the clip.

* This post was edited 01/27/13 05:20pm by cm11599ps *

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/13 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Port-A-Boat

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

kelly94942

Beaverton, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/13 11:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two Sea Eagle 370 kayaks that we LOVE! There are two of us so we occasionally share one (they are two seaters) but often take our own.

Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion

Fish-a-Palooza

Lake Stevens WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 03:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't say enough good things about the Porta-bote. Just be careful with how big you go. 10ft was plenty big enough for 2 people and weighted about 70lbs which can be handled by one fairly strong person. The 12ft is too heavy IMHO. If I were to get another one I would go 8ft. Easy for one person to handle and still big enough for 2.

Wayne & Karen

TT-2005 Komfort 27TSG
TV-2003 F250 Lariat Crew cab, 6.0L PS, FX4

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 03:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go with the kayak.
I started canoeing when I was a toddler with my dad and loved it. Three years ago I went for my first kayak ride and never looked back. It's the only way to get close to nature on the water. You should be able to find or rig up a two wheel dolly so you can pull it along to wherevervyou want to go.

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/13 11:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sea Eagle 8. . Have had one since the early 80s; never a problem!

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 04:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a kayak.
Your best bet is to get to someplace that rents them and try various ones out before buying one.
If you will be just using it in the summer for going back and forth to the Island look at a sit on top (SOT), but if you want to use it in colder weather and for touring, get a sit in one (SINK).
Start with a inexpensive plastic one, and then if you get hooked you can up grade to fiberglass or kevlar.

Take a look on Paddling.net under the classified ad section and more than likly there might be some used ones in your area for sale.

Kayaking opens up a whole new and exciting world for those who get hooked on it.
If I can answer any questions on it or canoeing, shoot me an e-mail.

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

PegLW

SW Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 04:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Sea Eagle Paddleski 435. It's a one or two person inflatable kayak which is very stable and durable. We've kayaked in many rivers and lakes all over the country and love it! The kayak folds up small enough to fit in a storage box in the back of our truck. Sea Eagle Paddleski

Dave and Peggy
2012 Open Range 345RLS
2012 Ford F350 6.7L turbo

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to look at this one

Extreme kayaking

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

You have to look at this one

Extreme kayaking

Just waiting till the Futuro Accidente model comes out....

Depending on what the OP wants to do with a boat, it's hard to beat an old 10' aluminum boat and a pair of oars. Many moons ago, I piloted just such a craft on LI sound.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Small 2-4 Person Boat?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: