Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Where is my poo?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Where is my poo?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah yes, the dreaded clogged black tank. 10 hrs into this so far with the help of several other RV fix-it neighbors, and no luck. So, off to on-line experts I go.

Symptom: Saw water down toilet bowl column only 10 days after draining tank (usually goes 30 as wife only one to use it).

What we have done—determined 3 sources for this kind of issue:

1) Vent clogged---ran a hose down it,..vent is clear
2) We removed the black valve, gate works fine. While valve was off, we shot a hose up in through bottom of tank and fired up the water….had quite a bit of poo, paper, urine drop out and filled up 10 large containers with the hose water+ gunk—so now we know we have a very clean BOTTOM of black tank.
3) The drop line from the toilet bowl---after all of our work, still water in the drain column 3” below the toilet---same amount as was in it before we did #1 and #2 items….so got the garden hose (cut off end on it) to try to poke thru, maybe 18” and hose started to bend…got clothes hanger, all 36” thru it…..got cable electricians use for "fishing" and poked thru it, 10 feet or so, so clearly past 3 foot drop area---5 mins back/forth, twisting, very little progress….the guy who I borrowed it from told me he did his daughts rv on Sat---ONE HOUR of back and forth…..so today, 1 hr effort coming up.About an 1" weeped down last night, it appears.

Any other suggestions of what I can perhaps put down it (chemical wise)? Been on the road for 9 mos, never an issue. But we have been sitting 7 weeks now. And no, it is not frozen. And no, we do not leave black valve open.

If no luck, a "jetter" with hi press hose is available--he only charges 150.00

No truer love exists more than a man willing to take a few splashes of his wife's pee and poo...

2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS
2002 Ford 4x4 SuperCab 7.3 (Jr International) Diesel

Sad to say, time to sell to a good home.

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you usually just dump the black tank? Or do you flush the tank after dumping?

If you just dump, there will usually be 'stuff' left in the tank. Some of that stuff could be accumulating as time goes on.

I would first try filling the black tank as much as I could with plain water, then dump. Do this 3 or 4 times in a row. Use a clear connector before your sewer hose so you can see what's going on.

On edit: If the water level dropped overnight, your black tank valve may not be closing completely. This could be caused by TP getting caught in the valve seat. Not uncommon if you don't flush after dumping.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need a small snake camera to look down the hole. Wild guess is that you have a mountian there with a crater in the middle. No clue how to get rid of it unless it can soak in water and Enzymes to break it down.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

blangen

South Dakota... and everywhere.

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah... the dreaded mountain of poo. This happens when not enough water is used when flushing. It drops down below the hole and just sits. And dries. And builds. I suggest you use a digester... like Travel Jon.

In my opinion, the proper way to flush is do your business, fill the bowl with water, flush. Fill the bowl with water and flush again. This pushes it all away from the hole. Personally, I use digester after each tank dump.

wilpower

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/13 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He says the BOTTOM of the tank is now clean, so no poop pyramid! Probably was a Pyramid, and putting hose up valve cleaned out most of it, but some is still in the pipe down from the toilet. Keep ramming hanger or some thing down until the pipe is clean. I would not use any harsh chemicals.

Wil & Cyndi & Einstein (African Gray)

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

Do you usually just dump the black tank? Or do you flush the tank after dumping?

If you just dump, there will usually be 'stuff' left in the tank. Some of that stuff could be accumulating as time goes on.

I would first try filling the black tank as much as I could with plain water, then dump. Do this 3 or 4 times in a row. Use a clear connector before your sewer hose so you can see what's going on.

On edit: If the water level dropped overnight, your black tank valve may not be closing completely. This could be caused by TP getting caught in the valve seat. Not uncommon if you don't flush after dumping.

Yes, I flush it out with a clear collar in place to make sure water is clean before considering it "done". Gate valve is clean, we took it apart yesterday.

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilpower wrote:

He says the BOTTOM of the tank is now clean, so no poop pyramid! Probably was a Pyramid, and putting hose up valve cleaned out most of it, but some is still in the pipe down from the toilet. Keep ramming hanger or some thing down until the pipe is clean. I would not use any harsh chemicals.

Yeah, I rammed 5 mins last nite. Went and pulled drain this a.m., and had 1 qt, so some progress overnight...stirred it another 15 mins right now in auger method...still thinking I need some chem to dissolve it...already pour hot water down it..

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blangen wrote:

Ah... the dreaded mountain of poo. This happens when not enough water is used when flushing. It drops down below the hole and just sits. And dries. And builds. I suggest you use a digester... like Travel Jon.

In my opinion, the proper way to flush is do your business, fill the bowl with water, flush. Fill the bowl with water and flush again. This pushes it all away from the hole. Personally, I use digester after each tank dump.

Who sells Travel Jon? Any big box store? I am in Austin...

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blangen wrote:

Yeah, have preached that to wife. Again, maybe lack of water combining with rig not moving like it has over past 9 mos., which was almost every 1 week.

golf_bears

Rapid City, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/13 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Holy Crap" Batman!!!!! I've heard of these types of problems but usually after a few pokes down the pipe things clean out.

Sounds like you're going to need a pressurized tool other than a garden hose to really clean that tank pipe out.

You said water level dropped down about an inch overnight, so you are making some head way but need to keep poking at it or some high pressure tool to really push through the clog pipe.

Did someone drop something down the pipe and plug it up?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Where is my poo?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS