Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: From RV to non-RV travel?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> From RV to non-RV travel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is anyone else out there thinking of making the transition from years of RVing to just travel with a car and staying in condos, lodges, etc.? We probably won't yet but sometimes I just think life would be simpler without the RV and probably no more expensive in the long run considering fuel economy ( I would get a car that would get 3 times as far on a gallon) and RV upkeep. We are about 70 and still active;yet, there is work involved in RVing for both of us. And we eventually face deciding what to replace our 1999 5th wheel with and when. The 1999 is about depreciated out but getting another one would start that cycle all over. We do go "on the road" for long periods; 10 weeks in winter and at least a month in summer.

Jayco-noslide

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think bed bugs, noisy neighbors, cock roaches, packing/unpacking. No Thanks! When I get to the point that i can no longer travel with my trailer I will sell everything and sit in the rocker waiting to die.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

2oldman

Vegas, baby

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately.

My bucket list includes a tour of the Eastern US. After 10 years of hauling a big 5er around, I find myself getting just a bit weary of worry about things that can and do go wrong. I think it would just be so much easier and less stressful (very important) to simply decide on a whim where to go, but a one way ticket, and just go. Rent cars, stay in motels..(but not the kind with bugs and noise).. that sort of thing.

It really sounds good right now.

USAFBILL

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We reached that point last year.....not as great as RVing but still stay on the road 3 - 4 months a year. We now stay in the better up scale motels and have not
encountered any of the undesirables mentioned above. After 30 years of RVing with Class A's 5ers, Class B's and one TT we are making the change over just fine. My only regret is never have the Truck Camper. I have to now rely on their forum for my "missed trips".....

Traveler II

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/13 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After full timing we decided to get out of RVing and sold our MH. We bought a small house and the next winter we rented a condo in the Caribbean. It was a great place with nice people, BUT it was missing something. You get in the elevator to go to the pool and people would stare at their feet, in other words RV people are the friendliest people you will meet. After a year of not RVing we bought a fifth wheel trailer that was six years ago.

2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2011 - 165
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I'm done traveling and want to stay in one place for several months, then I might consider not having an RV. Right now I need my RV to travel to all the great places in this country. Many which have no hotels and rental cars.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of my friends have reached that stage and I'm right behind them, maybe a year or two. It all depends where you end up.
People who worry about bed bugs etc need to up scale a bit. I don't mean expensive hotels but small family run resorts that do it right.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Is anyone else out there thinking of making the transition from years of RVing to just travel with a car and staying in condos, lodges, etc.? We probably won't yet but sometimes I just think life would be simpler without the RV and probably no more expensive in the long run considering fuel economy ( I would get a car that would get 3 times as far on a gallon) and RV upkeep. We are about 70 and still active;yet, there is work involved in RVing for both of us. And we eventually face deciding what to replace our 1999 5th wheel with and when. The 1999 is about depreciated out but getting another one would start that cycle all over. We do go "on the road" for long periods; 10 weeks in winter and at least a month in summer.

I won't argue the price comparison! I cringe when I see a couple pulling into the CG with too much RV! If it has become more chore than fun-time to reconsider! This is not a contest to see who can RV the longest. Do what you enjoy, life is too short!

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always mixed RV trips and other types of trips, doing whatever works for the trip in question. Sometimes it's a time issue (live in San Diego, want to visit far off place, have two weeks off = fly, rent car, and stay in motels or camp). Sometimes it's season and weather (winter with its cold and long nights is not much fun alone in an RV, why not stay in a nice warm hotel).

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

rctour

So. Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/13 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started out tenting, moved to a motor home, then good size boat, then airplane, now we are back to MH. We have two homes now but in a couple of years plan to sell most everything and be gipsies in the MH. When we are done with the MH'g we will find something else. Life is short, just do it, whatever "it" is!

Chocolate Lab
C177B
Tour
Wrangler,
in that order.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> From RV to non-RV travel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues