Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Groceries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Groceries

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
freestoneangler

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Things that pop into my mind... I really should go see a doctor Anyway, when I think about how things will be different while living and traveling in an RV with a fridge 1/3 that of our house, one question I have is how you best manage groceries? It would seem like trips to the grocery store increase and become a bit of a pain. I know there are usually only two to feed, but still space sure seems limited.

My wife is quite thrifty in cooking up large portions of crock pot beef, chicken, etc., them making up smaller freezer bag portions that last a 2-3 meals. We have a pretty good sized side x side at the house and it's packed.

I'd be interested in hearing from the seasoned travelers out there about this topic and some tricks you've learned to keep your time doing something other than grocery store hopping.

Thanks

JJ Spectre

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a newbie, I'm interested in hearing the veterns answer this as I'm hoping to learn from those with more experience as well. In the mean time, I am thinking there will be a fair amount of dry goods/non refridgerated items to make up the starches (I'm thinking dry pasta, rice and potatoes) and a cooler with ice for the fast moving beverages, (such as pop, juice... and beer ) so we can save the room in the fridge/freezer for meats, cheese, milk and some veg.

2014 Silverado 1500 LT with Max Trailering package
    2012 Jayco Jay Feather Select 28R
    Husky Centreline
    5 of us plus one old dog

Days camped 2013: 21
    Days camped 2014: stay tuned!

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found that there is actually grocery stores on the road.
We use to buy heavy and load up the rig.
We now stop every few days and restock. If we know we are going to be away from larger cities we do buy a little extra.
We carry a Rand McNally/Walmart atlas that allows us to know that a community is large enough to have good sized stores.
We try to avoid quickie style stores.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eat our more, solved.

Actually, we were doing once every 5 days for us....but we actually are going 7 now...many CGs will have a few food items for a quick meal, as well, if you arent up for fighting Super Walmart or are close enough for pizza delivery...

2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS
2002 Ford 4x4 SuperCab 7.3 (Jr International) Diesel

Sad to say, time to sell to a good home.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/13 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stock just for a couple of days... There is an walmart on every street corner haha... Thats about how long the ice holds out so gotta go get supplies anyway...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/13 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep a running shopping list on a pad inside the pantry door. Any time we're going somewhere that we might be passing by a grocery store, we take the list along with us. We also stock up on dry and can goods when they're on sale, storing the excess in plastic totes in a storage bay. A list of the tote contents is also kept on the pantry door. Our 8 cu. ft. fridge/freezer serves us well, but it does take some creative fitting to make it all work sometimes.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'd be surprised how easy it is to hook up with a Schwan's delivery truck.
Seriously.

Kathy

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we travel, we like to explore. We set up in a campground and use that as a base to wander around and explore the surrounding area. As part of that exploring we pick up whatever supplies we need. This makes the necessity of shopping part of the adventure.

Going to new places, new stores, new towns...we enjoy that part of traveling and camping.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

Wally Walleye

Shohola Pa

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a smaller crock pot. Used to have a large one and always had to store left overs -- as good as they are they took up room. Now use a smaller one. Makes enough for 2 meals for 2 people. It is an adjustment. Depending on where you are staying you will adjust your shopping habits. Besides you get to learn about all the differant grocery stores around the country and you get to collect all those price saving cards. such fun Enjoy the journey and don't sweat the small stuff.

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually eat the same way on the road as we do when not on the road. Since we've retired (5-6 yrs ago) we only eat breakfast & dinner. No lunch for us, although we usually have a light snack (nuts/fruit) mid day. That cuts down on food storage. Breakfast is usually cereal which requires only milk and juice from the fridge. When camping we usually restock more often (every 2-3 days) than at home.

Up to this point our longest trips in the RV have been of the 2-3 week variety. In February we're going to Florida for 4-6 weeks. I guess we'll find out whether we can continue as we have in the past.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2001 25' Cardinal LXDS
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Groceries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: