Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Lexington KY or Nashville TN?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Lexington KY or Nashville TN?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Mike Kohl

Bradley Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 5 children under the age of 10 and am looking to book our first big camping trip ever! We bought a new Keystone 3220BH for Christmas. Origanally we were planning on Nashville Tennessee for the end of March-- (we are from chicago and want to keep it within a 7 -8 hour drive. Now I have heard good things about Lexington area?
Any thoughts?
Thanks! I am pumped to get the trailer rolling down the road!

Mike Kohl + Beautiful Wife
and soon to be 5 Awesome Kids

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you take the kids to the bat factory what else is left?

On to Nashville if I had kids still at home.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
183 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

Billieg2

Lake Wales Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love both places even lived in Nashville for awhile but neither place has much for the kids. We stay in Lexington every summer for a month or 2 and there is really nothing to do. I'd research it some more. Congrats on the new Keystone!

In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg area? 9.5 hours.
Stop at Bowling Green KY and visit the Corvette factory!

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike Kohl wrote:

I have 5 children under the age of 10 and am looking to book our first big camping trip ever! We bought a new Keystone 3220BH for Christmas. Origanally we were planning on Nashville Tennessee for the end of March-- (we are from chicago and want to keep it within a 7 -8 hour drive. Now I have heard good things about Lexington area?
Any thoughts?
Thanks! I am pumped to get the trailer rolling down the road!

Nashville, unless you like seeing country singer shows IMHO, JMHO doesn't offer anything else. Especially for the little ones.

Lexington, KY hands down! Look up Kentucky Horse Park. Nice CG, good rates and there is 'always' something going on there. Tons of different horse shows and events right on the same grounds that you can walk to from your camper. The CG is on one of the biggest horse venues in the state.

There is so much going on there. Just the bronze statutes and gift shop will make the kiddies squeal with delight!
http://kyhorsepark.com/index.php?option=........m_content&view=article&id=571&Itemid=264
http://kyhorsepark.com/

Event Calendar:
http://kyhorsepark.com/index.php?option=com_rsevents&view=events&Itemid=742

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Robin1953

Ashton, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to the horse park, Lexington has the distilleries around for tours...part of the bourbon trail. Also Shaker Village is close by as well. There is the state capitol close...Frankfort. Nashville has a lot more glitz than Lexington but there is tons of things to do in either city. A lot depends on what you are wanting to see and do.

2015 Open Range JT337RLS
2011 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Billieg2

Lake Wales Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Robin1953 wrote:

In addition to the horse park, Lexington has the distilleries around for tours...part of the bourbon trail. Also Shaker Village is close by as well. There is the state capitol close...Frankfort. Nashville has a lot more glitz than Lexington but there is tons of things to do in either city. A lot depends on what you are wanting to see and do.

That might be good for us "older" folk but try selling that to the kids. LOL

Robin1953

Ashton, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Billieg2 wrote:

Robin1953 wrote:

That might be good for us "older" folk but try selling that to the kids. LOL

Well you might be right but there were a ton of children from maybe 6 y/o to maybe 16 or 18 y/o when I made the tours. Surprised me that there were that many children there as well.

4monkeys

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our kids on a bourbon distillery tour when they were ranging ages 5 - 9 probably. They found it fairly interesting. It also gave us a chance to talk about alcohol w/ our kids, as they aren't around it much.

We've done Frankfort & Harrodsburg, which is close to Lexington. Our kids loved Shaker Village and Old Fort Harrod State Park. The KY Arboreteum was great, too. We have not been to KY Horse Park. Harrodsburg has a Drive In Movie Theatre, "Twin Hills" but we didn't make it there on our trip. Another place I wanted to hit was "Raven Run Nature Santuary" but didn't have time.

I've never been to Nashville.

Wherever you go, since this is your first trip, you can try different things to see what you guys like more. It sounds like you want a "city" more for this trip.

ljpel

Concord, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would choose Lexington. The campground at the Horse Park is great. The Horse Park would be fun for most kids, including a wagon ride tour of the park. Cincinnati is about an hour away, where you can see the Reds play. Louisville is an hour away with the Louisville Slugger Museum, riverboats, and a few other downtown attreactions (I think they have a Children's Museum). Shaker Village is just outside of town, where you can also ride a paddleboat on the Kentucky River. The distilleries are a little over an hour away, and although I have never been I understand there is an old village in Bardstown there. Fort Boonesboro State Park has a fort the kids can visit, and Berea is just south of that for the artsy folks. If you are into horses you can tour the horse barns, which are unlike horse barns anywhere else in the country. There are races at Keeneland and the Red Mile. Certainly enough to fill up a week. And then there is always the UK Basketballl Museum.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Lexington KY or Nashville TN?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS