Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Surcharge on MC/Visa
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Surcharge on MC/Visa

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
garyhaupt

Back living in Kitimat..northern BC.

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retailers in some states are now permitted to add up to a 4% surcharge if a customer is paying by M/C or Visa. They are required to post advisories. This could add up to big bux on fuel and other on-the-road costs, so...be aware.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national........d-visa-users-pay-cards-article-1.1248759

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread as a lot of points and count........oints on subject that may interest you.

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The big truck stops already do with CASH prices and CREDIT prices

* This post was edited 01/30/13 05:40pm by an administrator/moderator *

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

dfm

Kamloops,B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any of the retailers that choose to add a surcharge to my bill will have the merchandise left at their check out counter. All retailers have already taken into account ALL of their selling costs when pricing their merchandise. A surcharge will be their method of double dipping at the consumers expense. It is my choice how I spend my money and that is how I will deal with this issue.

2007 Jayco 322 fks
2007 Chevy D/A
1 DW , 1 Fur Person

Gadget Guy

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least it is visible and the consumer has a choice to use credit or not, works for me because I will use cash, that is why I believe ALL government taxes should be listed separately so the consumer knows what all of these "FREE" government handouts cost. NO HIDDEN TAXES!!!!!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was reading up on that this AM.. Turns out that many stores have decided to not do this, plus credit card companies have a few odd rules, one of which is "You must operate the same in all states you operate in where our card is concerned" and since only a miniority of states allow this fee, Stores like Wal-mart, K-mart, Sears and so on which are all over creation,, Won't be charging it.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The better way to do it is to offer a cash discount. Many large retailers loose more on "shrinkage" than the few percent the CC companies charge.

I have to say it's a great racket getting to skim a couple of points off the top.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dfm wrote:

All retailers have already taken into account ALL of their selling costs when pricing their merchandise.

I truly wished that was a true statement and am personally sad it is not. dfm what kind of business that you run that you can know all of your selling costs and get it reflected in the selling price?

While I do not claim to be a good business person I can tell you about every week we learn of new selling costs but we can not have price changes every week. In fact we have not had a price increase in years hoping to increase volume and reduce expenses.

I say everyone should be in business long enough to go bankrupt once to really understand the world of business.

There are no sure things in business. Talk to the people that owned stock in GM that came away with nothing. Look at Apple imploding without Jobs being around again and this time he is not coming back.

Talk to a RV park owner and ask them if they selling costs happening faster than their selling price are increasing. Many businesses have cut and cut for so long people are about the only think left to cut.

letting 46,000 people go. hundreds of thousands one day furlough for 22 weeks.

The Pentagon cuts can be avoided if we will approve billions in new taxes and national debt limits but we small business owners can not find banks stupid enough to keep loaning us cash with not means of repaying it.

dfm when it comes to CC's we have NO way of knowing the increase in our selling cost until we get our CC fee statement because our fees are based upon based upon how many rewards we have to finance for you which is unknown at the time of the transaction.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

Retailers in some states are now permitted to add up to a 4% surcharge if a customer is paying by M/C or Visa. They are required to post advisories. This could add up to big bux on fuel and other on-the-road costs, so...be aware.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national........d-visa-users-pay-cards-article-1.1248759

Gary Haupt

The big truck stops already do with CASH prices and CREDIT prices

virtually every place I buy gas from has a "cash" and "credit" price. I always use credit card and EVERY time I have been charged the CASH price. Not sure why they post both, but at least using pay at the pump I always get the cash price with a credit card. And I get 5% cash back on gas every month. Saves $0.15+/gallon.

The ability to add a cc surcharge has been around for a few months now. so far in our area, I haven't found anyone that adds a surcharge. I don't think anyone wants to be "first" to try it.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

camperforlife

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may see less gas stations taking American Express as their user agreement still forbids up-charging for taking the Amex card.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Surcharge on MC/Visa
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS